Speaker failure and repair

JHZR2

Staff member
My 1991 MB 300D has had an intermittent front left speaker. I pulled it today to check it out, and tested for impedance. The OE full range speaker is labeled 6Ohms. When I tested it, I got 25MOhm or so. I tested the conductors including the wires that seem to be glued to the back of the speaker cone. From the ends of the connector to as close to the coil as I could get, I got 0.2Ohm. So the disconnect is in the speaker.

What usually fails? It is intermittent, and when it works, I like the OE sound.

Is there a way to diagnose, and repair whatever isn’t connected in there?

I know Ican find good used ones, or 4Ohm “upgrades”, which drop in for
Thanks!

1AF5E49E-507A-456B-A6D5-2BAAFBD80A80.jpeg

From my own experience if it works sometime forget about the ohm reading and look for a mechanical reason the speaker's not working. I've found often the problem is junk, dirt or something that is stopping the voice coil from moving. Living in a door with water and the banging of closing it's easy for the spider to get out of position. Maybe try spraying a cleaner between the pole magnet and the voice coil while moving it with your finger.
I know it sounds funny but it's worked for me.

From my own experience if it works sometime forget about the ohm reading and look for a mechanical reason the speaker's not working. I've found often the problem is junk, dirt or something that is stopping the voice coil from moving. Living in a door with water and the banging of closing it's easy for the spider to get out of position. Maybe try spraying a cleaner between the pole magnet and the voice coil while moving it with your finger.
I know it sounds funny but it's worked for me.
This is a dash speaker so not quite as bad a situation as in a door.

When I’ve tested good speakers with an ohmmeter they read close to their published impedance. This one reads Mega-Ohms, so much, much more…. How does that consider in?

Have you tried disconnecting this speaker and driving it from a different source? Oh, no I didn't see the difference in your reading. Just sped read the 60 to 25.

vehicles are harsh climates for electronics especially speakers, if your lucky you "might" find aftermarket or pay $$$$ for OE replacement IF available, good luck

Back