Foam or 'Fiber'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a rather different application from the usual automotive topics. I have a Sears air compressor in my shop and noticed that the small foam filter had rotted away probably due to age.

It's just a simple foam filter about 1-1/2 in in diameter and maybe 3/8 in thick. It's the same materials you might see as a 'wrapper' or a pre-filter filter - simple foam. It just 'sits' in a small plastic airhorn.

While at the parts store the other day I saw a simple round 'mesh' 'fibre' filter probably for say a crankcase breather which got me to thinking... Perhaps 3/4 in thick of of the perfect diameter. Heavily woven, sort of like a tightly meshed 'Scotchbrite' pad but tighter. It's white too (rather than the black of the OE foam) and would easily show dirt.

I'm thinking this would be as good or better than the foam job?

Thoughts?

Electric air compressor?

I have a 5hp Craftsman for years, you mean it has an air filter? Never even looked. Craftsman parts are pricy.

As for the different type filter, I can't say nut some of those like you mention are not all the great IMO.

A dense fabric should work just fine. Most all the small Sears compressors use Campbell-Hausfeld pumps. If you look on the CH site for replacement parts you'll notice some use foam filters and some use a fabric filter like you decribed. I have 2 of these pumps around and one uses foam, the other fabric...

Maybe I should have waited your response but last night while at the parts store I bought a big round 6"(?) piece of that white 'fibre' used on I guess crankcase breathers and such. It's much bigger than what I need in size but I can cut out a smaller piece and have plenty left over for some other use down the road.

I was wondering what brand this Sears was. I'll need to check. The tank itself has DeVilbass stamped on it - that's an old name in spray guns - indeed the oldest. But the compressor itself - not sure. It's probably 5 years old and I'd wager Campbell- like you said.

I also have a really old one that is 25 or 30 years old. While it's smaller I actually like the fact that it's the old 'oiled' kind as it's soooo much quieter. It just sorta 'purrs' relative to the modern one.

thanks,

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Mine was new in 1988 and its says its made by Devilbis also. I got a defective tank (weld leaking air) on mine and had to wait about 6 months for a new one from Sears because Debillbis had labor problems at the time. I also had a safety valve fail on it too, With the bad weld on the tank the Sears store manager wanted to have some local guy weld it up. When I found out he had sent over to have this done, so I demanded my $$ back and the manager got po'd big time. Finally I found some statement in the guide that warned of never welding on the tank. So he refunded my $$ and reluctantly ordered me a new compressor. He still though it OK to have the tank welded though as the instruction book just meant I should not do it. What a moron.

I guess I shouldn't have said "most." The smaller ones, 1-3 hp seem to often be CH, but the 5hp upright model we have here at work is a Devilbis. I'm surpised you had trouble with yours. Ours has been really good. It uses a fabric filter by the way.

You can tell who built a Sears item by the first 3 digits of the model number. Look around on the net and I'll bet you can find a key for that...

[ October 24, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Mine was new in 1988 and its says its made by Devilbis also. I got a defective tank (weld leaking air) on mine and had to wait about 6 months for a new one from Sears because Debillbis had labor problems at the time. I also had a safety valve fail on it too, With the bad weld on the tank the Sears store manager wanted to have some local guy weld it up. When I found out he had sent over to have this done, so I demanded my $$ back and the manager got po'd big time. Finally I found some statement in the guide that warned of never welding on the tank. So he refunded my $$ and reluctantly ordered me a new compressor. He still though it OK to have the tank welded though as the instruction book just meant I should not do it. What a moron.

Has anyone figured a way to 'retro' some kind of set-up to get rid of that so called 'filter' and actually 'bolt-up' a regular circular air filter like the little 4 inch paper models that the hot-rod shops sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back