Fluid level on scissor lift

Anyone know where the hydraulic level is supposed to be in the reservoir of a skyjack scissor lift? The site glass has numbers on it but i can't tell what they mean. The shop says the level will expand with use. Well the two or three lifts I looked at all had the level at the top according to the guage. Mine was at the bottom and the guy added another quart that put it in the middle. I was fine with that. I just don't see a scissor lift heating up the fluid enough to make it raise.

When the cylinders are fully retracted, there is a maximum of oil in the reservoir. I would recommend, unless the manufacturer says otherwise, that the level be at about 80% of the sight glass.

When the cylinders are fully retracted, there is a minimum of oil in the reservoir. I would INSIST that the oil level shows in the reservoir.

Expansion with temperature is a non-issue.

The numbers you see are actually a thermometer in the back of the sight glass or it is on mine. I keep the ones in my fleet over 50% full with everything stowed. I like them around 75%

The numbers you see are actually a thermometer in the back of the sight glass or it is on mine. I keep the ones in my fleet over 50% full with everything stowed. I like them around 75%
I think youre right because I had them fill it to half way and it was like 45 degrees back then and now it's like 60 degrees and the level is about 3/4 full on the sight glass.

If the platform goes all the way up that is the minimum oil level The maximum would be at or a bit below the full mark.

They changed the fluid for me before I bought it and it was at the bottom of the gauge. Still visible, but I had them add another quart to bring it up to the halfway mark.

If the platform goes all the way up that is the minimum oil level The maximum would be at or a bit below the full mark.
I haven't seen how far up it goes because my building isn't that high. I would have to bring it outside to see, but it goes up as high as I need it. I could always open the panel and have someone watch the level when I go up. The rental place told me the fluid level goes up when it gets used, but I said yeah but all the fluid has to fill up the hydraulic ram when it extends out. So who's right? I really don't see the hydraulics on a scissor lift being run long enough to heat up the fluid unless you you need to drive it a mile up someones driveway or constantly are going up and down because you need to bring stuff up to a loft in a shop.

Back