Fluid For Chrysler ZF-8 Speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer wants $47.00 a quart for this fluid. I don't think it's available anywhere else. It takes 10 quarts to do a fluid and filter change. Not only that but the filter /oil pan is a plastic disposable item that costs around $270.00, again from the dealer. Does anyone know of an outlet that sells these items at a more affordable cost?? Parts and fluid alone come to over $740.00, and that's not including any labor. Before anyone asks, you cannot use any other fluid in this transmission.

That it outrageous! $740 for a fluid change? These are things to look into before purchasing a vehicle. Were you already aware of the cost? I could do 23 drain and fills on my Accord for the price of 1 fluid change on your Chrysler.

Edit: Does yours have a dip stick? If it does just buy a fluid extractor (about $50 on Amazon) and suck the fluid out that way so you are bypassing the transmission pan. I also see the ZF-8 fluid on Amazon for under $28 per quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
That it outrageous! $740 for a fluid change? These are things to look into before purchasing a vehicle. Were you already aware of the cost? I could do 23 drain and fills on my Accord for the price of 1 fluid change on your Chrysler.

I could do 82 drain and fills on the Cherokee for $740!

ZF 8 & 9 speed ATF®
Formulated as a high quality fluid specifically
for the ZF 8HP45 & ZF 9HP45 transmission used
in Chrysler Group LLC vehicles. Approved by
Chrysler Engineering to ensure smooth and
quiet operation. Provides superior lubrication
to reduce wear. Meets ZF specifications.
1 Liter Bottle MSQ: 6
Part No. 68157995AB

Cheapest I can find it online is $31 a liter

Formerly known as 68157995AA

Now, ZF (the people who make the box) Recommend ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8

Part # S671 090 312

I am extraordinarily grateful that my Navigator's ZF takes Mercon LV, which of course can be replaced by Maxlife. Good riddance to $30-$50 a quart for ATF. They can keep that bull.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I am extraordinarily grateful that my Navigator's ZF takes Mercon LV, which of course can be replaced by Maxlife. Good riddance to $30-$50 a quart for ATF. They can keep that bull.

Interesting! Did not know that some of the Ford 6 speed RWD autos were based on that transmission!

The first time I changed the oil in my Jeep's five speed manual gearbox in 2003 Jeep specified some magic Mopar elixir that cost over $20/qt. Several years later I was getting ready to change it again and I found that the Mopar unicorn tears had been superseded- by 10W-30 motor oil...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Interesting! Did not know that some of the Ford 6 speed RWD autos were based on that transmission!

It was shoplifted from the Land Rover department when Ford owned them. Only thing that sticks in my craw is that it has no dipstick or drain plug. And you have to play around the exhaust to fill it......with the engine hot and running.

However, the fluid looked pretty good for 100k miles, and I completely wasted my time doing the filter/pan. It didn't have anything in it. I mean, literally just nothing. Fluid and a slight stain. I don't expect to have to do it again any time soon.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
ZF 8 & 9 speed ATF®
Formulated as a high quality fluid specifically
for the ZF 8HP45 & ZF 9HP45 transmission used
in Chrysler Group LLC vehicles. Approved by
Chrysler Engineering to ensure smooth and
quiet operation. Provides superior lubrication
to reduce wear. Meets ZF specifications.
1 Liter Bottle MSQ: 6
Part No. 68157995AB

Cheapest I can find it online is $31 a liter

Formerly known as 68157995AA

Now, ZF (the people who make the box) Recommend ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8

Part # S671 090 312

Technically, the Chrysler Units are Made By Chrysler in their Kokomo,In Transmission plant, under License from ZF.
Technically.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The newest versions of the 8 speed are not really related to the older designs at all. Much more modern and lots of features differentiate them.

And note that these trans were specifically designed to require less service. This is not just an upgraded fluid with long life, the trans itself is tweaked to last longer.

Note that Bentley and Jaguar use these units in extremely high powered applications. IMO the Bentley with AWD and tons of torque is a severe test of any transmission...

The main thing with any of these transmissions is to use the OEM recommended fluid. Don't mess with them by experimenting with other products.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The first time I changed the oil in my Jeep's five speed manual gearbox in 2003 Jeep specified some magic Mopar elixir that cost over $20/qt. Several years later I was getting ready to change it again and I found that the Mopar unicorn tears had been superseded- by 10W-30 motor oil...

I also had that experience on a 5 speed Dakota. Paid the money for Mopar fluid only to find out it's simply synthetic motor oil...

These new 8 Speeds are great and very smooth/fuel efficient but I will also probably change the fluid at some point. I have a lifetime warranty but will do a flush around 100k miles. Certainly hope there are some cheaper alternatives out by then.

Don't change it, they are supposed to be filled for life and I suspect that's the case. I don't think you will gain anything by spending that $700.

What mileage are you at?

I have no plans of ever changing the fluid in mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back