Fluid Film Treatment in My Situation

The last couple of years i have done my own cars with corrosion free in spray cans .
I was really impressed with how much one can covers.
With your f150 having an alloy body, i would think if you focused on the frame work and brake and gas lines 3 or 4 cans would really give you a good coating.
last year i soaked the frame on the saturn as they are prone to have extreme rot , this year there was still a good coating of the corrsion free on the frame and floor pan.
You could do this yourself for less than $50

My panels are AL and that is the last point of my focus. I am largely concerned with the frame.

I used to use FF but am going to try out RP 342 going forward, at least for a couple of years. FF washes away too quickly for my tastes. Better than nothing, but still not as good as I might like.

My panels are AL and that is the last point of my focus. I am largely concerned with the frame.
How are the aluminum panels coated to not be affected by salt?
I would still want to spray Fluid Film in the doors, hood, tailgate (do once and forget).
I use 'aerosol' Fluid Film and an atomizing hose.
---------------------------------------------------
I like Cosmoline (RP 342) for high wash areas.

While fluid film is effective where it stays, it doesn’t stay that long, especially in New England. I used to use NH oil and I now use noxudol. @BISCUT Here are photos of it applied. Granted I went more than just about anyone will removing fuel tank, wheel liners, spare tire, and front and rear bumps to be sure I got everything i could. I am on day 5 right now and still not dry (dries to a softish wax type coating). I think the cold temperatures here have been prolonging the drying process
how does a waxy coating creep?
I may not have written this well. $200 was the cost to my mechanic for his personal vehicles from the guy who does this. The treatment is $400 for a car and nearly $500 for a truck in my area. NY not far from NYC ain't cheap brotha.
coming through ohio anytime soon? Canfield krown does full size trucks for 169 and they are the best around here..

500$ is robbery. I think I would buy some cans and just do the best you can at that price holy $$$

They use 3qts or so and its around 40$/gallon.

So 470$ labor??

Reactions: JC1
I'm BIG on DIY. I even taught myself how to paint cars in the last 5 years. I drew the line with doing this. It's a pain in the butt. The guys who do it regularly know all the right spots to hit.

~$500 for a single FF treatment is insane, regardless of area/prices. That's maybe 3 quarts of product at the very most and that's going very heavy for the first application.

Like said, the stuff only lasts a year. You could drive up state a bit and have a full sized 4dr pickup truck Krown treated for $169.

coming through ohio anytime soon? Canfield krown does full size trucks for 169 and they are the best around here..

500$ is robbery. I think I would buy some cans and just do the best you can at that price holy $$$

So 470$ labor??

It takes a week to cure. It will creep until it cures especially the 700 formula. The evidence is on my driveway. This version is solvent free and cures much slower and will creep longer before it cures.

For unexposed areas

For exposed chassis areas

This stuff isn’t cheap but doesn’t need yearly reapplication . Just touch up as needed.

Last edited:
@BISCUT -- to be honest if you're getting charged 5 bills to get your vehicle sprayed with a Fluid Film or Woolwax or other lanolin/thick oil coating... RUN.

Unless you're getting free yearly touchups, maybe I missed something?

My cousin does all of my vehicles, and I pay the same rate as anyone else, about $165 for a truck. Cars slightly cheaper. If you do wanna get your truck sprayed, before you bite that big price bullet, I'd recommend looking up the Fluid Film or Woolwax website and using their applicator location tools and get some other prices.

Unless again, maybe I missed something, but thats just stupid expensive... don't want to see you getting taken brother.

I would go to the NH Coatings shop in NH. Or Noxudol.

NH Coatings has spray on products but also a think product you paint on with a brush for areas subject to being washed off by road spray.

I am hoping my 2015 pickup will last another 10 years. It's been treated with CarWell or NH Coatings every year since I bought it.

The last couple of years i have done my own cars with corrosion free in spray cans .
I was really impressed with how much one can covers.
With your f150 having an alloy body, i would think if you focused on the frame work and brake and gas lines 3 or 4 cans would really give you a good coating.
last year i soaked the frame on the saturn as they are prone to have extreme rot , this year there was still a good coating of the corrsion free on the frame and floor pan.
You could do this yourself for less than $50

Corrosion free is good stuff and it doesn’t wash off as easily as Krown.
Not sure where you get yours, probably Canadian Tire, but if you have any Tractor Supply stores nearby, look for their sale. I was able to get the cans from them for $5 each, where CT had them for $15. It was years ago so I’m sure prices went up, but they may still have a good sale.

So 470$ labor??

You'd die if you knew my tax bill every year! NY is $$$ brotha. Ohio is not in my near future.

I may not have written this well. $200 was the cost to my mechanic for his personal vehicles from the guy who does this. The treatment is $400 for a car and nearly $500 for a truck in my area. NY not far from NYC ain't cheap brotha.

The shop is simply overcharging. Krown in Canada is $150 for a car in Toronto (which has comparable costs of living to NYC).

Corrosion Free is technically better than Krown at preventing rust (if applicatiom is equal) but it leaves behind a yellowish film. So they both have pros and cons.

Fluild film inside the frame rails and any other holes you can find. Sand and paint any exposed rust. Fluid film won't stay on high trafficked areas but paint will! This is my 18 year old Liberty with 224k on it (most of it in Wisconsin and it's driven a ton in the snow) following that routine:
IMG_3677.jpegIMG_3680.jpegIMG_3681.jpegIMG_3682.jpegIMG_3683.jpeg

My property and school tax was $16,000 in NY. My address is now Delaware.

They seldom get snow and don't use a lot of salt. There are not many places in Delaware that spray rust prevention products for a reason. Not much business.
Yeah, but you fellas with taxes like this own acreage and homes worth a bunch.

In the outskirts of Buffalo, my property and school taxes are about $5K/year. 2800sq/ft home on 1 acre. My home is worth maybe $350K.

My sister-in-law who lives just a few miles away on ~10 acres with a home worth about a mil, pays $13K/year.

My property and school tax was $16,000 in NY. My address is now Delaware.

They seldom get snow and don't use a lot of salt. There are not many places in Delaware that spray rust prevention products for a reason. Not much business.

I feel your pain Donald. Add 5k and that's where I'm at. And I'm in Dutchess County not Westchester. Love where I live, 3 acre wooded lot on top of a small mountain (I consider it a big hill) and 3600sq but taxes are just over the top. My kids are 11, 14, 16. If one of em sticks around and takes over the home I'll build above the garage and mudroom. That will be just under 1200 sq. I'll make me a living space and buy a small home somewhere in a warmer climate with beaches. St. Thomas is high on the list right now. If I had the coin and could deal with the politics, Santa Barbara is hard to beat.

Corrosion free is good stuff and it doesn’t wash off as easily as Krown.
Not sure where you get yours, probably Canadian Tire, but if you have any Tractor Supply stores nearby, look for their sale. I was able to get the cans from them for $5 each, where CT had them for $15. It was years ago so I’m sure prices went up, but they may still have a good sale.
Peavey mart used to be Tractor supply ! got some this year on sale less than $6 a can . could not believe the price.

I feel your pain Donald. Add 5k and that's where I'm at. And I'm in Dutchess County not Westchester. Love where I live, 3 acre wooded lot on top of a small mountain (I consider it a big hill) and 3600sq but taxes are just over the top. My kids are 11, 14, 16. If one of em sticks around and takes over the home I'll build above the garage and mudroom. That will be just under 1200 sq. I'll make me a living space and buy a small home somewhere in a warmer climate with beaches. St. Thomas is high on the list right now. If I had the coin and could deal with the politics, Santa Barbara is hard to beat.
I lived in Clinton NY for many years also. The Clinton near Hyde Park. Taxes there were high also, especially the Hyde Park school district taxes. Dutchess County county got too crowded so we moved to Columbia county.

Back