fluid extractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats everyone's favorite fluid extractor and what do you use it for? At the moment I have three that are used for different things.

1. Lumax LX-1185 suction gun. I've used this a bit for power steering, brake, and differential fluids. Not very reliable, but high volume. Likes to lose suction.
2. 100ml syringe. This is my go-to for lower volume fluid extraction such as brake fluid and power steering fluid. Works like any other syringe. Low volume requires multiple extractions. Conveniently fits a variety of small diameter vinyl or silicone tubing on the tip.
3. Performax Grip Clip Transfer Pump. Purchased from Menards, just like the ubiquitous orange transfer pump from Harbor Freight. Works great for low viscosity fluids like ATF but I haven't tried it with gear oil. Uses multiple hoses which can be nice if you are adjusting the level, or a pain if they start flopping around spilling oil.

Looking at something like the Mityvac MVA6851 which is basically an extra large syringe with some tubing. Very pricey for what it truely is, but perhaps it will last longer than a normal syringe? Also very interested in the ALEKO OEXP02. 1.6L reservoir and only $17 on amazon. Thoughts? I don't mind doing a couple drains on larger jobs, but I'd like something that can handle viscosity from water all the way to 75w140 gear oil, though it'll see the most use for PSF and DOT3/4.

My super syringe is 200 ml … have three of them so I can pre load more fluid while I'm not under a vehicle …

My next favorite is a piece of clear hose that I can zip tie to the tip of a gear oil bottle … then move it to the next bottle

I have been though a few of the marine style pumps … some are not that rugged … and my fancy aluminum extraction device alway had seals fail …

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Flo N Go. Uses my shop vac to provide vacuum. I pull out transmission fluid with it. For pulling out brake fluid and power steering fluid I use a turkey baster.

About how many qts. come out each time?

I made an extractor out of an old garden sprayer and it uses a shop vac # gallons and it is marked in Gallons.

cheapy from walmart, has many uses for fluid transfers,

especially on my vechicles with no transmission pan drains, pull the old fluid out the dip stick

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Flo N Go. Uses my shop vac to provide vacuum. I pull out transmission fluid with it. For pulling out brake fluid and power steering fluid I use a turkey baster.

About how many qts. come out each time?

I can pull about 6 quarts from a 2000-2007 Ford Taurus and 3-1/2 quarts from a Gen IV LS 5 liter engine in a Suburban. The pan in the Taurus would be empty and I think the configuration of the pan vs the dipstick hole holds it to 3-1/2 quarts in the LS engine.

Last edited:
I use a 20+ year old aluminum MityVac. I made a collection tank from a 1/2 gallon jar. Nothing goes thru the MityVac; it just provides a controlled vacuum. It can be slow. Used on brake master cylinders, individual brake calipers, power steering, front and rear differential and Haldex AWD systems on multiple vehicles.

I use a Miti-Vac strictly for ATF. I have smaller hand held syringe type exactors for PS and brake fluid if needed.

Did you use the Flo n Go 09644 or the Flo n Go Max Flo?

[/quote]
Did you use the Flo n Go 09644 or the Flo n Go Max Flo?[/quote]

Mine was probably made before there where any choices. It could probably hold at least 12 quarts but really only need to hold half that amount. I had to buy 10 ft of 3/8 OD tubing to reach from jug, up and over the fender and down the tube to the bottom of the transmission pan. Not sure if the design is any different know. Here is a pic of the original box.

A10F8209-110F-43FA-AFA6-08CC967A97AB.jpeg

[/quote]
Did you use the Flo n Go 09644 or the Flo n Go Max Flo?

Mine was probably made before there where any choices. It could probably hold at least 12 quarts but really only need to hold half that amount. I had to buy 10 ft of 3/8 OD tubing to reach from jug, up and over the fender and down the tube to the bottom of the transmission pan. Not sure if the design is any different know. Here is a pic of the original box.

[/quote]
That's the exact picture that's on the box for the 09644 and it is supposed to be for small engines/lawn mowers. Amazon suggest the Max Flo for cars but I'm getting the 09644 anyway. It's set up looks a lot better.

Valuable tool...MityVac 5qt. hand pump like an old bicycle pump handle...modified the small tube to extract from the 1.5T

Mine is an old R-22 bottle, it holds about 2.5 gallons or so.

It has a T on top with a 1/4" NPT ball valve.

I "Charge it" with manifold vacuum from the brake booster hose.

One full vacuum "charge" will pull out about 2 gallons of fluid, or about 80% capacity.

I have a Pela 6000 extractor. I use it for the lawnmower annually.

I really should begin using it on the new Outback. However, I'm thinking the tubing is not long enough to set the container on the floor and still get the tip to the bottom of the oil pan.

I started with a topsider in around 2002. Unreliable and the pump failed early. Since then I've run a plastic body unit from Tractor Supply that works well.

At the same time I've been perpetually disappointed with the metal syringe fluid pumps from the auto supply stores. Recently I spent the cash on the mityvac syringe. Totally worth the money, also useful as a makeshift funnel. I'll never go back to anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back