Florida customer shoots suspects during robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/florida-customer-shoots-suspects-during-internet-cafe-robbery/

Quote:
Authorities in central Florida say two men were trying to rob an Internet cafe when a 71-year-old patron began shooting his own gun, wounding the suspects.

Surveillance video shows two masked men entering the Palms Internet Cafe around 10 p.m. Friday. The Ocala Star-Banner reports one pointed a gun at customers while the other swung a baseball bat.

The video shows patron Samuel Williams pulling a handgun and shooting. He continues firing while the suspects fall over each other as they run out the door.

Nineteen-year-olds Duwayne Henderson and Davis Dawkins were later arrested and face attempted armed robbery with a firearm and criminal mischief charges. They were transported to Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Dawkins had a superficial wound in his left arm, but Henderson was shot in two places: his left buttock and his right hip.

Both posted bail and were released.

Williams has a concealed weapons permit. Bill Gladson of the Marion County State Attorney's Office says the shooting appears justified.

Neither of the men have a criminal record, authorities said

Both men were arrested for attempted robbery with a firearm.

Apparently, from another source, he was using a .380.

With only two out of the assumed many shots that were fired hitting the mark, I'm surprised no one else was injured.

If you look, the last shot the old man fires is FROM THE HIP. He's lucky he didn't shoot some one walking down the street.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
The old guy gets two thumbs up for standing his ground.

And two down for missing shots bigtime if that is what occurred (it was nentioned in an above post, I cant really tell from the video, so there is a big IF here).

Gun control should merely mean (besides not being sick in the head and whatnot) being able to use it properly and demonstrating mastery, IMO.

Of course Ive never been in a situation like that (and hope never to be) to know what form would be like practically speaking.

The old guy gets two thumbs up for standing his ground.

It's only unfortunate that he didn't put the two criminals six feet under.

The more these thugs (we know they are) get capped when attempting to commit theft the more they will eventually learn that they should NEVER even try it.

We are ALL safer because even low life scum like these two realize they have a good chance of dying if they try this, and many are cowardly and will stop trying while others will never start trying.

Its shocking to me people don't hit the deck when they hear shots fired! People were just mulling around, plugging their ears.

I guess not everyone grew up in Chicago

Those guys didn't look so tough sprinting out of that place falling all over themselves.

That gentleman should receive policeman's pay for one day for the service he provided.

With budgets being cut, this is the future of law enforcement so get used to it folks. Lock and load.

Looks like a clean shoot. They came in smashing stuff with a bat which should establish a life threatening situation. Looks like 3 shots with 3 hits, though one only superficial. Too bad the results weren't more permanent.

These thugs made bail and they know the guy's name. He had better watch his back and continue to carry while out and about.

I would never argue that its not a dangerous situation when someone with a concealed weapon permit starts using said weapon. Its very dangerous. But is it more or less dangerous than a kid with no firearm training and in the act of a crime running around in a crowded room? We can armchair criticize all day, but the bottom line is he stopped the crime, and he did NOT hit any bystanders at all.

So far, to the best of my knowledge, there have been a fair number of cases where concealed carry holders have used their weapons in an attempt to stop a crime. How many bystanders have been injured? None that I recall, though I could be wrong.

For the record, I currently own no firearms at all and have never personally owned a handgun, nor am I a concealed carry holder. But I have ZERO problem knowing that there are CC holders around me- in fact I'm glad of it. I don't understand it at all when people clench up in fear at the mere sight of a gun. I know people that act like the things are radioactive and you could get bullets in you by merely being in the same room.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Great only the criminals got hurt. I wonder how they are going to try and defend themselves in court.

I just hope that gentleman doesn't end up having to defend himself in court against a civil lawsuit. I guess he should put up his legal defense fund website now.

Originally Posted By: gotib007
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Great only the criminals got hurt. I wonder how they are going to try and defend themselves in court.

I just hope that gentleman doesn't end up having to defend himself in court against a civil lawsuit. I guess he should put up his legal defense fund website now.

I do not know about FL, but in GA you are immune to civil lawsuit in justified shootings. I do not think that shooting would be considered justified in GA, I am pretty sure you can not shoot at someone who is running away.

Originally Posted By: AVB
..... I do not think that shooting would be considered justified in GA, I am pretty sure you can not shoot at someone who is running away.

I would consider them a threat as long as they had their weapons, and could turn around and use them.

In that close proximity, their direction of travel could be an attempted escape, or could be trying to get a position of advantage over the defender. I'm not going to second guess the guy.

The punks got what they deserved. Armed robbery should be very, very, risky for punks.

Absolutely. Bravo to the old man for firing 3 rounds on target!

I agree that if this reaction can become the 'expected' then robbers may think twice. Most are cowards who will look for another way to make money.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: AVB
..... I do not think that shooting would be considered justified in GA, I am pretty sure you can not shoot at someone who is running away.

I would consider them a threat as long as they had their weapons, and could turn around and use them.

In that close proximity, their direction of travel could be an attempted escape, or could be trying to get a position of advantage over the defender. I'm not going to second guess the guy.

The punks got what they deserved. Armed robbery should be very, very, risky for punks.

I thought about that and I agree. But I don't get to make that call. I have seen other cases where shooters have gotten into trouble because a fleeing attacker was no longer concidered a threat. The other problem is that he let them get away, so now they can argue that the were fleeing.

Last edited:
Looking at the picture it seemed he fired three rounds inside, but it did not look like he actually fired out the door.

I watched again today on my 23" screen and you're right, it does not appear that he fired outside; he jabs the muzzle at the would-be muggers, but does not fire.

I looks like he fires, kneels, fires, then moves forward before firing one more shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back