Floor jacks for 3/4 ton trucks

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by stanlee
All the HF 3 tons do at least 18 inches so you don't have do spend more than $89/$99 for the Pittsburgh 3 ton/3 ton low profile and trust me spending more because you don't want HF is NOT money well spent. I have ever long reach and the Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile.

Maybe, or maybe not. This Hein-Werner on sale for $200 is a better jack, just doesn't lift as high at 20.5":

https://www.napaonline.com/p/NLE7916420

Will it last twice as long? In years or uses? Probably, then it's also rebuildable. Can you get a HF jack or are they sold out? There are many variables , but that is the best quality jack you can get for $200 if you have a local Napa with stock. Napa has had this on sale before but their list $456 price is about what this grade of Hein-Werner sells for elsewhere. It has been around a long time, is a proven design and also has seal kits available for it.

There's no arguing that getting a 3 ton from HF for $100 is a great value, as is their high lift for $200, but if you add on the features then there's more to break and no rebuild kits.

I've had a Hein Werner 2 ton jack for about 30 years and never needed a repair. Bought it at Auto Parts Club - now long gone.

I also have an aluminum HF 1 1/2 ton for small jobs. The light weight and less pumping is nice.

Are you aware that HF does have repair parts:

https://www.harborfreight.com/parts

Maybe not for everything, but they have really stepped up here and adding more quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Unijack. 21 inches of lift at max extension.

[Linked Image from hw.menardc.com]

I wouldn't use that on anything with independent suspension. You'd want it to roll freely as its lifting the vehicle. On the rear axle sure, or a Jeep with solid front and rears.

Nice truck OP. Always liked the HD GM SUVs.

Depending on what you want to spend, the $75 steel (3 ton?) jack at HF would work. Their larger aluminum and yellow Daytona is nice too.

I like the wider stance on the Daytona, but in the perfect world it shouldn't be needed either.

All the HF 3 tons do at least 18 inches so you don't have do spend more than $89/$99 for the Pittsburgh 3 ton/3 ton low profile and trust me spending more because you don't want HF is NOT money well spent. I have ever long reach and the Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile.

Maybe, or maybe not. This Hein-Werner on sale for $200 is a better jack, just doesn't lift as high at 20.5":

Will it last twice as long? In years or uses? Probably, then it's also rebuildable. Can you get a HF jack or are they sold out? There are many variables , but that is the best quality jack you can get for $200 if you have a local Napa with stock. Napa has had this on sale before but their list $456 price is about what this grade of Hein-Werner sells for elsewhere. It has been around a long time, is a proven design and also has seal kits available for it.

There's no arguing that getting a 3 ton from HF for $100 is a great value, as is their high lift for $200, but if you add on the features then there's more to break and no rebuild kits.

Have you purchased a Hien Warner jack lately?

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Is it no better than HF stuff nowadays?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Dave9 said:
stanlee said:

I would think that the HW advantages include u cup main ram and piston construction which is more durable, and a company that sells replacement parts, including the hydraulic cylinder, as well as Many places selling rebuild seal kits. its also a Hydraulic construction that has been around for 80 years.

HF advantages include price, dual piston quick lift, and in the case of the yellow Daytona super duty - a 3 year warranty (compared to HW 2 year warranty, and HF other jacks 3 month warranty - although I think you can buy an extended 2 warranty for the other HF jacks if you want).

So I would buy HW if I wanted the hydraulic seals to last longer, and when the seals do eventually leak, have the resources to self repair the jack in an afternoon.

I would buy HF if I was okay with a guaranteed 3 year lifespan, with anything after that is a bonus, and willing to scrap the jack and buy another when the seals eventually leak.

Their quality has gone down the toilet the last few years, Hein Werner was owned by Lincoln & got sold to Shinn Fu.....The time when Lincoln/Walker/Hein Werner jacks being the best is LONG gone.

The only other jacks made in the USA are.....Gray Manufacturing & Milwaukee Hydraulic. Either one will run you over $1000 for a 3 ton or 4 ton respectively (Milwaukee doesn't make a 3 ton service jack)

[
The only other jacks made in the USA are.....Gray Manufacturing & Milwaukee Hydraulic. Either one will run you over $1000 for a 3 ton or 4 ton respectively (Milwaukee doesn't make a 3 ton service jack)

You can still find Weaver and US Jack as USA jack manufacturers. I think OTC May still have 1-2 models that are USA made.

FWIW, my opinion is that imports like Norco, Omega, AC Hydraulics, and Compac also have built up a decent reputation.

I know, I just made it harder for the OP by giving him more options.

Shinn Fu. I believe their corporate HQ is in Wuhan. They also have a novice research and development team that studies bats if I'm not mistaken?

Last edited:
Shinn Fu. I believe their corporate HQ is in Wuhan. They also have a novice research and development team that studies bats if I'm not mistaken?

I think you are mistaken. Shinn Fu is a Taiwan company.

Lincoln / Walker got bought out by Clore in the 1990s, and then Clore outsourced production to China. Shinn Fu bought them out in the mid 2000s and then moved production back to the USA. Of all things, they relabeled the new USA produced jacks as Hein Werner, but are using the old Lincoln / Walker designs. In other words ... Hein Werner today is not the same as Hein Werner pre-1990s, but rather the design is the same as Lincoln pre 1990s, if that makes sense.

They are a major player in today's hydraulic jack market. They currently own Hein Werner, Omega, Blackhawk, Pro-Lift, and Porto-Power.

Here's an excerpt of the Shinn Fu company:

Shinn Fu Corporation

Shinn Fu Corporation was originally founded as Shinn Fu Auto Supply Company Ltd. by Mr. Michael Hung in 1971 based in Taipei, Taiwan. Shinn Fu has grown into the global leader of hydraulic lifting equipment in the automotive aftermarket. The insistence of producing and offering only the highest quality products has earned Shinn Fu a reputation for exceptional quality in the marketplace.

The quality of Shinn Fu's products is recognized not only by customers worldwide, but also by international governments and industry agencies including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Australian Standards (AS). European Conformity (CE), Germany's Technical Inspection Association (TUV), and Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS). Every Shinn Fu product is specifically designed and engineered to not only meet, but to exceed the industry standards set forth by these organizations.

Shinn Fu has three plants that are ISO9001, ISO14000 and QS9000 compliant, and a mechanical jack manufacturing plant that conforms to rigorous automotive industry Quality Assurance (QA) standards. All other facilities in the Shinn Fu Group have initiated programs to reach compliance in the near future in order to progress toward Shinn Fu's goal of total quality system compliance. Shinn Fu is committed to continuous upgrades all of its facilities to ensure that they remain state-of-the-art.

Our Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) department does business with automotive and aftermarket manufacturers worldwide. Shinn Fu's ability to produce high quality components at a competitive price has made us the source for many high profile international companies looking for an OEM partner. Our partnerships with OEM manufactures have increased our presence in the marketplace and created opportunities for mutual exchange of ideas and philosophies to further expand our expertise.

Shinn Fu possesses an array of patents worldwide. One of the company's most significant innovations is the "One Pump to Lift" design, which allows users to lift the lift pad of the jack to the service point with a single pump. This design has won worldwide market recognition and is one of many innovations that has given Shinn Fu a reputation for having creative ingenuity and market defining vision. Shinn Fu is devoted to supplying safe user-friendly product lines.

In order to provide Shinn Fu customers with excellent after-sales service, Shinn Fu has established worldwide branch offices in the USA, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Europe. This global presence facilitates the establishment of strong customer relationships and allows Shinn Fu to provide more effective customer assistance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ajchien

Lincoln / Walker got bought out by Clore in the 1990s, and then Clore outsourced production to China. Shinn Fu bought them out in the mid 2000s and then moved production back to the USA.

I'm going to correct myself...

Lincoln was the one that offshored production to China in the 1990's. Clore bought the Lincoln while it was already being manufactured in China, and then Shinn Fu bought the Lincoln name from Clore and returned production to the USA in the mid 2000's.

I bought a Snap-on branded Lincoln jack in 1999 that was US made.....Might have been old stock though? Good jack, The Shinn-Fu Hein Werner's which I realize is built on the old Lincoln/Walker design just don't hold up as well.

Tried the Taiwan made "Blue Monster" & "Beast" jacks which Corwell & Matco sold.....2-3 years is about all you can expect., These might be Shinn-Fu jacks?

I haven't seen a US made OTC jack in awhile, I know their Stinger line is Taiwan/China. I'm not familiar with Weaver floor jacks, But they made some decent 2-post lifts, But they were old 20 years ago.

I've gotten sick & tired of spending good money on supposed quality jacks just to be let down in the end, And I certainly don't use them often enough to justify spending a Grand!
I bought my first 2.5 ton Pittsburgh Aluminum jack after my Cornwell Blue Monster started leaking down 5 years ago, It hasn't missed a lick & I abuse it way more than I ever abused high dollar jacks.
Bought a 3 ton version for my business & been very happy with it.

Reactions: JC1

Tried the Taiwan made "Blue Monster" & "Beast" jacks which Corwell & Matco sold.....2-3 years is about all you can expect., These might be Shinn-Fu jacks?

I've gotten sick & tired of spending good money on supposed quality jacks just to be let down in the end, And I certainly don't use them often enough to justify spending a Grand!

I think Both Cornwell's Blue monster and Matco's Beast are both Sunex rebrands (another big import player).

The Cornwell blue monster has parts and rebuild kits (I think it's Model #CSESJ350A )See: https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits/product/8744

The matco Beast also has parts and rebuild kits. See: https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits/product/8692

You can see by the rebuild kits, both of the jacks have the cheaper O ring seal main ram construction, which you wouldn't expect to last as long as a U-cup seal construction. If you still have those jacks though, the seal kits are available and the hydraulics can be rebuilt - for $35-45, or you could just buy a completely new hydraulic unit around $135 per that linked website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ajchien

I think you are mistaken. Shinn Fu is a Taiwan company.

Lincoln / Walker got bought out by Clore in the 1990s, and then Clore outsourced production to China. Shinn Fu bought them out in the mid 2000s and then moved production back to the USA. Of all things, they relabeled the new USA produced jacks as Hein Werner, but are using the old Lincoln / Walker designs. In other words ... Hein Werner today is not the same as Hein Werner pre-1990s, but rather the design is the same as Lincoln pre 1990s, if that makes sense.

They are a major player in today's hydraulic jack market. They currently own Hein Werner, Omega, Blackhawk, Pro-Lift, and Porto-Power.

Here's an excerpt of the Shinn Fu company:

Shinn Fu Corporation

Shinn Fu Corporation was originally founded as Shinn Fu Auto Supply Company Ltd. by Mr. Michael Hung in 1971 based in Taipei, Taiwan. Shinn Fu has grown into the global leader of hydraulic lifting equipment in the automotive aftermarket. The insistence of producing and offering only the highest quality products has earned Shinn Fu a reputation for exceptional quality in the marketplace.

The quality of Shinn Fu's products is recognized not only by customers worldwide, but also by international governments and industry agencies including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Australian Standards (AS). European Conformity (CE), Germany's Technical Inspection Association (TUV), and Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS). Every Shinn Fu product is specifically designed and engineered to not only meet, but to exceed the industry standards set forth by these organizations.

Shinn Fu has three plants that are ISO9001, ISO14000 and QS9000 compliant, and a mechanical jack manufacturing plant that conforms to rigorous automotive industry Quality Assurance (QA) standards. All other facilities in the Shinn Fu Group have initiated programs to reach compliance in the near future in order to progress toward Shinn Fu's goal of total quality system compliance. Shinn Fu is committed to continuous upgrades all of its facilities to ensure that they remain state-of-the-art.

Our Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) department does business with automotive and aftermarket manufacturers worldwide. Shinn Fu's ability to produce high quality components at a competitive price has made us the source for many high profile international companies looking for an OEM partner. Our partnerships with OEM manufactures have increased our presence in the marketplace and created opportunities for mutual exchange of ideas and philosophies to further expand our expertise.

Shinn Fu possesses an array of patents worldwide. One of the company's most significant innovations is the "One Pump to Lift" design, which allows users to lift the lift pad of the jack to the service point with a single pump. This design has won worldwide market recognition and is one of many innovations that has given Shinn Fu a reputation for having creative ingenuity and market defining vision. Shinn Fu is devoted to supplying safe user-friendly product lines.

In order to provide Shinn Fu customers with excellent after-sales service, Shinn Fu has established worldwide branch offices in the USA, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Europe. This global presence facilitates the establishment of strong customer relationships and allows Shinn Fu to provide more effective customer assistance.

You are correct. I googled it yesterday and literally the first result was something about influenza A.

I just assumed clinebarger was trying to be comical as in Shinn Fu is a Chinese company.

I still have them...In the very back of my storage container
frown.gif
Thanks for the links ajchien! It's one of those things where it's probably best to just sell them to someone that has time.
That just my frame of mind having 2 10,000# lifts.....If a cylinder went out/started leaking on one of my lifts, I'd have to make time to fix it!

Thanks for all the input. I purchased a floor jack at my local Canadian Tire. Here is the page on the web and also I’ll post some photos. My old jack could lift to 14 inches. The new one can lift to 24 inches above the floor but I’ll be using it mostly to about 18 inches. The old one is two tons, the new one is 3. The new one is similar to other designs and is made in China. It seems robust. The yellow jack in the photos is my old one.

29080AF5-ADBE-474C-9F60-D88671CFBAF8.jpegD6967B97-973E-47CE-AFD1-4C64897E7A47.jpegD5A0EE68-52F9-4079-93FD-558F8F04B221.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I purchased a floor jack at my local Canadian Tire. Here is the page on the web and also I’ll post some photos. My old jack could lift to 14 inches. The new one can lift to 24 inches above the floor but I’ll be using it mostly to about 18 inches. The old one is two tons, the new one is 3. The new one is similar to other designs and is made in China. It seems robust. The yellow jack in the photos is my old one.

View attachment 30963View attachment 30964View attachment 30965
Enjoy the jack. I picked up the Daytona 3 ton long reach jack last year. They are a beast and make jacking up a car much easier.

^ Many people do jack the pumpkin, yet most automakers specifically state not to do that. I see no reason to risk it, when it only takes a fraction of a minute to place a jack stand and move the jack if necessary. Anyone here reading this, has that fraction of a minute to spare.
wink.gif
Speaking of technique I took this shot from far away. The boys used three jacks outdoors at a tire shop. One was under the pumpkin. No jack stands at all. I guess they were not crawling under it so they did not worry. Still .......

2617D6F3-3B88-45FC-A29B-F14B673EE49D.jpeg

View attachment 30963View attachment 30964View attachment 30965

I was curious and went to the website, and by reading the first line of the description, you may have picked out one of the better China import jacks. Looks like it’s advertised with an upgraded seals, similarly advertised like the Northern Tools Yellowjacket, Menards Masterforce, tractor Supply Torin Jackboss, and TCE 83508. They tend to retail in the US for somewhere between $200-$300.

According to the ad:
———-——
FEATURES
  • MotoMaster Eliminator Heavy-Duty Low Profile Long Reach Garage Jack is Built. Tought. Proven to last 3,000 lift cycles with the help of upgraded polyurethane piston seals that last longer than convention seals and help prevent leaks
—————
The Tongrun company (Torin in the USA - family of jacks with TCE, Big Red, Blackjack) has started to offer better cylinder polish and what they have called “upgraded seals”, in select models of their jacks on their main ram and pump pistons (see page 4 and 5 of this ad:https://www.tcelifts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/TCE-Catalog-digital-rev-201900402-1.pdf) . They also obviously supply a huge number of rebranded jacks, with many of them using similar terminology advertising “proven to last over xxxx lift cycles ... from upgraded polyurethane seals”. These upgraded seals are polyurethane U cups, compared to Nitrile, or Buna-N o-rings.

nice buy!

if you will have the owners manual, any chance you would be willing to share a picture of the parts diagram and a parts availability list?

Last edited:
I just lifted my Ram Cummins with my 1.5 ton HF jack. Was able to get one front tire off at a time to do service. It’s heavy with the diesel, but it is 2wd.

It was at the very edge of ability to lift, and height to be useful. But it’s the lowest rated unit, so one would expect that.

While I’m not a huge fan of HF or dumped Chinese goods, I do think those aluminum lightweight jacks are best in class in the 1.5 ton range. I think there are slightly more options in the 2 ton range. I’d be curious if they could fit the bill on a 3/4 ton truck, 2wd or 4wd.

While I can handle the weight, lugging my 100# Hein Warner is a pain compared to these little 30# jacks.

Back