Flex or Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GenSan
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Who cares? Take the new Explorer for what it is, a Traverse competitor with better off-road capability and a better engine. Almost no one used the old Explorer's truck capability, that's what the Expedition is for.

I care....

Then the new Explorer isn't for you, but you are in a tiny minority.

Originally Posted By: GenSan

The early generation Explorer's were never trail capable to begin with and now they use a Taurus/MKZ platform...

So then what's the difference? The move to a unibody platform only hones the Explorer's already successful skills as a versatile people-and-pets mover.

I get a chuckle at the SUV "identity crisis" thing that they (SUVs) seem to have going on. And it's not a problem with the vehicles. It's a problem with us consumers trying to pigeon-hole or "wish" the vehicle into someplace it's not intended to be. The Explorer never has been, and never will be, intended to provide Rubicon Trail-type off-road capability. Not with a solid frame. And not with a monocoque. The Explorer's mission in life is to provide the room of a station wagon, some of the utility of a truck (in terms of towing capacity, etc), light off-road capabilities (like to get to a fishing hole you can't drag your Fusion to), and good all-weather capability (some of which comes from the taller and more aggressive tires that even AWD cars don't have).

The bottom line is the Explorer does exactly what it needs to do, and I'm sure it does it very well. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic sales success.

Originally Posted By: otis24
The Flex kind of grows on you.

The Flex does not grow on anyone in Miami...I see maybe one Flex a year on the road down here...As far as I can tell the Ford dealers down here do not even keep them in stock.

With that said go for the Explorer.

I have been to the dealer to check out the new Explorer.I liked the vehicle but it was expensive. I wanted to trade in my 2006 Explorer. Pricey with the options and I am some what concerned that they are not as good on gas as advertised. I'll probably buy one but I'll wait until the fall.

I'm with tenderloin on this. Go with the Explorer. It's more pragmatic. The fact that Flex isn't selling well and being discontinued will affect parts availability and prices in the future.

Proof the Flex is being discontinued?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Detroit News
Derrick Kuzak, head of global product development [at Ford], said market research shows the need for a full portfolio because consumers view each offering differently.

Buyers see the Explorer as a three-row SUV, the Edge as a two-row, five-passenger crossover and the Flex as anything from a wagon to crossover to a utility vehicle. The Flex is viewed as a unique vehicle and Kuzak said there are no plans to discontinue it. Flex sales were only 34,000 in 2010, down almost 12 percent.

"There is room in our portfolio for them all," Kuzak said.

This is from January 2011

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Proof the Flex is being discontinued?

I checked the internet and it looks like I fell for the rumors. I thought it was true because shortly afterward, I remember the Flex was also conspicuously absent from this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

I love the Ford line up. I just couldn't digest the price of the Explorer loaded up the way I want it. Having said that if I had to pick between the Flex and Explorer I'd take the Explorer.

The new Explorer seems pretty lame. Save a few bucks and buy an Edge. There's hardly a difference IMO.

I'm not a big fan of the direction Ford went with the Explorer.

Like the Ford Cyclone V6?

Why not the Mazda CX-9?

You can probably get a Grand Touring model for a little more than the base Explorer. Yeah it is only Edge size, (same CD3 platform) but it does well in comparisons vs the Enclave and similar vehicles.

I actually like the look of the Flex.

If you can pull yourself away from Ford, give the all new Jeep Grand Cherokee / Dodge Durango a looksy. You might like what you see
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The new Explorer seems pretty lame. Save a few bucks and buy an Edge. There's hardly a difference IMO.

I'm not a big fan of the direction Ford went with the Explorer.

There's a HUGE difference between Explorer and Edge, namely Edge is a mid-size 2-row X-over versus Explorer which is a large 3-row X-over with a significant advantage in usable interior space and flexibility.

IMO, Ford made all the right decisions with Explorer. Now they need to build a truck based Bronco to compete with Jeep.

I would go for the Edge just because you'll probably get a better deal. I like it in the dark red/brown color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back