Flex or Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 13-yr-old Expedition is doing the slow death march, so I need to replace it. I'm a Ford guy, and have looked at the Durango and the Lambda-Lambda-Lambda's, but I keep gravitating back to either of the two subject cars. Either would fit the bill magnificently. The Flex has a little more room, the Explorer is a little less controversial (styling-wise). Outfitted the way I want them they are within $1500 of each other. I'm looking at mid-level models, the Flex in the SEL trim level with an ecoboost motor, and the Explorer in the XLT trim with the leather package.

Either way, the wife says get what you want, the Expedition is going soon.

Lambda-Lambda-Lambdas?
confused2.gif
21.gif

If those are your two choices, I'd go with the Explorer. I could never recommend anyone buy a Flex, regardless of the interior amenities due to the hideous looking exterior. Although some people must like it because I see a few of them around. Definitely not for me though.

Flex strikes me as an easier transition from an Expedition. otherwise if you want to downsize slightly, go with the Explorer.

Quote:
Why not a new Expedition?

Because I want something that gets better mileage, on a good day my Expy will get 11 city, maybe 15 hwy. Also, my boat and trailer is max 2000 lbs. so I don't need the 9000+ towing capacity anymore. New mid-level Expy's are still over 42-43 grand. I'm looking at something in the 35 grand range.

Quote:
Lambda-Lambda-Lambdas?

GM crossovers, the Travencladia triplets...

I would suggest and personnally prefer a loaded 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4x4 than either the Flex or Explorer.

I don't get the Scion Xb styling bandwagon lately so I would say no to a Flex.

And I would have preferred the 5th generation Explorer over the Flex....
BUT Ford has absolutely done a disservice to the first generation Explorer's truck roots by building the current version on a Taurus platform.

The 5th generation Explorer goes from being a body-on-frame platform vehicle like a truck to a car-like unibody, where the frame and body are combined.

The Escape and Edge are too small, I can't fit 5 people and all our stuff into either one of those two cars. Like I told my wife, one of the kids has to stay home, or we go without any clothes or supplies. Plus I think 2000 lbs. is right at the ragged edge of towing capacity for those two.

I don't care if the new Explorer is unibody, as long as it does what I want it to, that's fine by me. The Durango is unibody, the Cherokees are unibody, the Lambda's are unibody, shoot, any new crossover is going to be unibody.

The Flex kind of grows on you. I am somewhat ambivalant about its looks. As far as comfort and amenities, it might be worth a second look. I think you should spend a few hours behind the wheel of the Flex. You might come to like it.

Flex is pleasing to the eye. It just takes a few days for the eyes to adjust. Be unconventional, stand out from the crowd.

I still can't get past the styling of the Flex -- no matter how fun 'boost would be. There are very few around here. I've seen more '11 Explorers daily now -- vs. Flex(es). I'd pick the Explorer. If the Expy can last another 6-9 months, I bet the incentives on the Explorer will be much better than now. I thought boosted Flex(es) start around $40K? They must have decent incentives?

Originally Posted By: GenSan
The 5th generation Explorer goes from being a body-on-frame platform vehicle like a truck to a car-like unibody, where the frame and body are combined.

Who cares? Take the new Explorer for what it is, a Traverse competitor with better off-road capability and a better engine. Almost no one used the old Explorer's truck capability, that's what the Expedition is for.

Originally Posted By: lyle
The Flex has a little more room, the Explorer is a little less controversial (styling-wise). Outfitted the way I want them they are within $1500 of each other. I'm looking at mid-level models, the Flex in the SEL trim level with an ecoboost motor, and the Explorer in the XLT trim with the leather package.

I guess you need to figure out what more important to you.

Do you want SUV styling? Get the Explorer

Interior quality/ambiance? Get the Explorer, though the Flex is by no means a slouch in this regard.

Ability to do some light off-roading? Get the Explorer

Ability to humble '90s muscle cars at a stop light? Get the EcoBoost Flex

Cargo volume? Get the Flex

Extreme roominess/comfort for 2nd row passengers? Get the Flex

These are two genuinely good vehicles with slightly different priorities. IMO, the EcoBoost Flex is a seriously cool street rod and very much the spiritual successor to the old Nomad. For as much as people hate the Flex's styling, they sure do get a lot of attention on the road... but it's a good sort of attention.

I'm a big fan of the EcoBoost Flex, personally.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Who cares? Take the new Explorer for what it is, a Traverse competitor with better off-road capability and a better engine. Almost no one used the old Explorer's truck capability, that's what the Expedition is for.

I care....

The early generation Explorer's were never trail capable to begin with and now they use a Taurus/MKZ platform, but your choice for an Expedition instead,
NO thanks.

I'll take a Ranger 4x4 before an Expedition for off-roading.

It's an old article but you get the idea:
USA Today

Well Here is my 2 cents. Ford has shortages of explorers. I believe I read 17 day supply. If rumors are to be believed about the Flex getting the axe, and that sales are slow, it sounds like a good one to negotiate at the dealer.

Also if you plan on keeping vehicle as long as your Expedition resale is not a concern.

In addition for the off-roading comments, yeah no-one except car magazines and people with a lot more $ than I off-road in new vehicles. Only real solid Ford for off-road out of the box is the Raptor. Anything can be modified to do well off-road. Jeep Cherokee (was) & Grand Cherokee have been monocoque's for years and do well. Next thing we are going to argue is independent v. solid axles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back