Flat tire, fix or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
$220.00 for one tire for a Hyundai?
You're joking, I hope.

2 tires, mounted, TPMS service, dispsal, etc.

Another tire I am interested in is Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter for extra $40, but tread warranty 70,000 miles and may get better gas mileage. Concern is are they good in Winter. Tire Rack did not test that yet.

You can always purchase the Douglas tire at WM for $57 or so and take it with you. Then have Firestone or who ever you like install it for $20 including tire disposal. A little more effort and time consuming is the down side.

Last time I had Firstone "pro-rate" a tire it was $93 installed. Again that was after the pro-rate. Tires had issues at 30k on a 70k tire. The pro-rate was more expensive compared to when they were installed since the tires were on sale when I bought them.

Last edited:
COSTCO near you. They'll do your tires and rotations are free for life of the tires. Always excellent service and nice folks. Plus you can shop while they do your tires.

I dunno who said put mis-matches on front, but I would never do that. Will affect steering and braking. Yeah, I get good tread on back to stop hydroplaning and spin outs, but steering feel and input are paramount. All mis-matches go on the back where all they do is follow ...

Lot of good suggestions. I don't use Costo. I use Sam's, but may not have that membership to use in future.

I march to a different drummer. Those years I spent in the Monastery influenced my decision process.

I have an appointment with Firestone tomorrow after Physical therapy and my yearly physical. Going with Fuel Fighter tires, H rated. I feel I owe Firestone for the 5 alignments on my previous car that I only paid $140 for. It is more important for me to do what is right, makes sense to me, even though it is not the cheapest option. At least I am being responsible and replacing the damaged tire. I have used most of the Tire Chains in the area with some horrible experiences. With Firestone I can watch them work on my car which is a plus.

Car is paid for and thanks to this forum I have a 5 year supply of oil. I am blessed in many ways. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Hope you had road hazard insurance on your tire. Replacement is what I'm thinking.

Car is new. It is an OEM tire. No road hazard. That is the way things go sometimes.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Replace one tire instead of 2 just like others said. Big chain would not fix it for you for liability reason.

Going to make the good rear tire a full size spare after I get a rim from the junk yard. I am 70 miles away from home when attending to my stepfather. A full size spare is a better option because of that.

You don't need to replace 2 tires, just 1. 4,700 miles and the other tire probably hasn't really even started to wear.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You don't need to replace 2 tires, just 1. 4,700 miles and the other tire probably hasn't really even started to wear.

If was a beater I would consider that. My concern would be once the two different tires are on the front it may stress an axle, etc. I don't have to do a lot of things. I could just try to plug the tire and throw caution to the wind. I tend to be a detail person and long term planner. I am not comfortable with one tire replaced. Others may be OK with that and that is fine by me.
smile.gif
The lady of the house is happy I will be getting a full size spare. Brownie points!

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
No one mentioned pinching the contractor for leaving junk around that caused this.

Funny you say that. The lady of the house rolled her Lexus into the back of the supervisor's VW station wagon when he was visiting the work site. Maybe this is payback.
grin.gif
Actually, she paid for the damage since it was her fault.

I have a feeling he just opened his tool box and something fell out. Those things happen. I used to be a contractor. I could have picked it up somewhere on else on my way home. No way to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
$62 each for new Nexen tire on ebay from DTD. I'm guessing the size is 205/55R16.

LINK

Good try. Wrong size. By time you mount it, etc, not much difference in price, plus I get free rotations. The other thing is I need tire replaced tomorrow. I use my car to transport people and will need to have it ready to go from Friday through Monday. That is when I work most of my hours.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I checked Amazon and do not use Craig List. I have limited time. I did call Firestone. I like their lifetime alignment. Looking at Firestone Firehawk AS. Tire Rack review seemed OK. About $220 installed with Lifetime rotations. I would like a one stop place and had good service there. It is close to where I live.

Why not just buy from Tire Rack ? They carry Nexen tires.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I checked Amazon and do not use Craig List. I have limited time. I did call Firestone. I like their lifetime alignment. Looking at Firestone Firehawk AS. Tire Rack review seemed OK. About $220 installed with Lifetime rotations. I would like a one stop place and had good service there. It is close to where I live.

Why not just buy from Tire Rack ? They carry Nexen tires.

You are right. Could be delivered Friday. Cost about $90 delivered. Little more than Firestone tire I am buying.

I work 14 hours that day. If it was earlier in the week I would consider it. I basically work 2 jobs so down time is minimal. It comes down to timing. Thanks for the info!

I wouldnt bother with 2 new. It wont stress the axle at all. 4500 miles on the others, throw on a cheap tire and save a few bucks in order to replace all 4 down the road.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wouldnt bother with 2 new. It wont stress the axle at all. 4500 miles on the others, throw on a cheap tire and save a few bucks in order to replace all 4 down the road.

You may be right. On the other hand I would be concerned one tire giving different traction in rain and snow. If both tires are the same the handling will be more predictable. My rule of thumb is the more variables, more potential issues. For me it is a safety thing first. It is the reason I will replace the bad tire. My safety and that of others is more important than saving a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back