Flat tire, fix or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a family tire shop I stopped by on the way home. Andy repaired the tire before I knew what happened. He was going to check it out. Before I knew it he had it off the rim and worked intensely to prep and patch it. It is holding air, but I know other's have expressed concerns. I cancelled Firestone appointment.

SirTanon, thank you for the link to the Nexen. To be safe, I think I will get it. Patching the tire bought me some time so I can get the tire shipped in. Andy said if it leaks I would have to replace it. My tire is the AH8. You posted AH5. Will it make a difference?

Re: the idea of a full spare. Do you think that patched tire would be OK for that purpose? It may never or rarely be used.

Better late than never. Doing a search for the best price for Nexen N'Priz AH8 I found a local Nexen dealer that said Nexen may have road hazarded the tire, but said just use it since it was repaired. He assured me the tire was safe. He knows the shop that repaired it. I was told to call if I have any problems. So, looks like I will check out Combs Tire to address any problems. If I need a tire he can get it in a day.

Thanks for the help and persistence. Seems like I dodged a bullet and learned a lot in the process.

It might be fine, but if I was hauling precious cargo, I would try to find a match to it, and 4500 miles is nothing as far as tire wear. Just hang on to that one as a back up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
It might be fine, but if I was hauling precious cargo, I would try to find a match to it, and 4500 miles is nothing as far as tire wear. Just hang on to that one as a back up.

Thanks. I think will call Combs Tire to get a tire installed after the Holiday. I get to work with that precious cargo all weekend.

Scheduled to get the new tire installed tomorrow. Same tire that is on the car. Cost is $81 for tire and $106.22 with all charges and taxes. Very pleased with the conversation I had with father and son. Both seem to be straight shooter's. It is rare to find a father and son shop that takes care of their customer's. Thanks again. I would have been lost without all your input!

Mr Combs puts funny sayings on his sign outside. Enjoy!

Sign of the Times

An interior patch can be used in a wider area than plugs. I agree with Broc luno, in a FWD car, you want to use a pair, to save the spider gears in the diff. With FWD, the rear wheels just prevent the back of the car from dragging. Handling wise, a blown rear tire event is much easier to control. I know that from personal experience.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back