Flashlube oiler alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya, first time poster on this fantastic forum.

I just wondered if there are any other alternatives to having a flashlube oiler kit fitted to protect my engine valves running on Lpg?

(Ive recently acquired a car recently converted to run on lpg that hasnt had a flashlube oiler kit fitted to it as is normally recommended - Toyota vvti on 150k)

Anyone any ideas experience or other suggestions?

Is that something that becomes necessary with aftermarket conversions? I'm unaware of OEM LPG vehicles needing such a thing. I get that LPG is dry, but don't quite understand why that would be an issue with valves or the upper cylinder.

The first question is whether or not your engine needs it? What engine is it? I believe it's down to the composition of the valve seat.

I believe there is a JLM product you could use and I've previously heard MMO being used for the same purpose.

As an alternative, if you find out you have soft valve seats and valve seat recession is an issue then you could consider getting your LPG system recalibrated so that it costantly runs on a small amount of petrol.

Thanks for the replies, mine is an aftermarket conversion I presume factory conversions were only done on harder valves, and my engines a Toyota vvti (1zzfe), I believe that a lot of the Japanese engines (later ones as well) have softer valves/seats and can be prone.
Unfortunately mine's a fairly basic system and doesn't allow for extra petrol injection too.
I do drive sympathetically and keep my revs lowish and try to switch back to petrol under load/up hills or during prolonged running and don't allow it to idle too much at the moment.
I know they're are various valve saver fluids available, I just don't know whether to get an additional oiler system fitted or not, how effective they actually are, or whether to just keep up with the sympathetic frugal running and add something readily available to try and protect my valves, what I don't know (maybe 2 stroke?), into the petrol tank and periodically run that through it too instead and whether that would suffice?I

Cheers on any thoughts

Hardened valve seats do fine on LPG. Any engine produced to run on unleaded gas has hardened seats.

I'm unaware of OEM LPG vehicles needing such a thing.
i have factory gas, and no such thing.
i came through many lpg forums, and it seems this is just snakeoil...
basically same chemistry as lead replacement additives... (what about catalyzer poisoning...?):cool:
cars made for unleaded petrol already have hardened valve seats.

important thing is to have tuned the lpg system correctly, fuel trim must be same on both fuels.

Cheers for the replies, yeah mine's (2006)s obviously suitable for unleaded, I think the damage from Lpg comes from a combo of the extra heat and dryness, mine s recently been tuned nicely professionally and is running well, but prior to this was well out of tune and had some v hot running so am bit worried about damage already having been done and trying to mitigate that somewhat if poss.
The question is do I get an oiler system fitted into the manifold or not, from what I can gather aren't a total fix but do prolong/put off the damage or do I just introduce some fluid into the petrol tank for periodic running and if so what readily available fluids gonna be best for the valves?
2-stroke, atf, biodiesel, MMO or indeed a dedicated lead replacement valve saver fluid like flashlube or anything else?

Cheers for your thoughts

Top end oiler comes to mind. Filled with Marvel Mystery Oil. Or 2-stroke oil.

wp-content.gif

Last edited:
Hey that looks a belter I'm debating fitting a top-end oiler or just consistently putting a UCL into the petrol tank to try and protect the valves.
So what are the best readily available/cheapish UCL s to add? Would that be 2 stroke?
I notice the actual valve saver fluids are quite expensive if you're going to use quite a bit of it.
Any other ideas what about ATF or a bit of biodiesel diluted into the petrol?

Hey that looks a belter I'm debating fitting a top-end oiler or just consistently putting a UCL into the petrol tank to try and protect the valves.
So what are the best readily available/cheapish UCL s to add? Would that be 2 stroke?
I notice the actual valve saver fluids are quite expensive if you're going to use quite a bit of it.
Any other ideas what about ATF or a bit of biodiesel diluted into the petrol?
Could always go with the 640:1 TCW3 (Marine 2 Stroke Oil), probably won't cause you any issues. Not sure there it would help though since you would be using so little gas.

Yeah I've read about TCW3 is that a specific type of 2 stroke I need that's better as a UCL not just any 2 stroke off the shelf?

I think you're right tho about whether it would benefit whilst running on Lpg or not, I suppose the only products specific for that purpose im stuck with are the lead replacement valve savers tho they just sound like a light pale oil with a trace of potassium/sodium in them instead of lead.

Incidentally do anybody add any small amounts of diesel or biodiesel to petrol as an UCL at all?

Yeah I've read about TCW3 is that a specific type of 2 stroke I need that's better as a UCL not just any 2 stroke off the shelf?

I think you're right tho about whether it would benefit whilst running on Lpg or not, I suppose the only products specific for that purpose im stuck with are the lead replacement valve savers tho they just sound like a light pale oil with a trace of potassium/sodium in them instead of lead.

Incidentally do anybody add any small amounts of diesel or biodiesel to petrol as an UCL at all?
TCW3 is just the marine-rated two-stroke oil. Tons of different varieties of it, including Supertech at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back