FL910s efficiency...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
A personal attack, guess I really touched a nerve. But now looking back on the Mazda6 filter thread and recognizing a similar reaction that would appear to be your MO.

As said, I've seen no evidence that Wix's efficiency for the vast majority of it's standard filters is a definitive indication of the topic'd 910 specific efficiency. So for all the reasons previously noted/quoted I'll politely agree to disagree with your opined conclusion.

Once again you state that Wix's standards are being use as a definitive indication. Nobody is making that jump, just you. How do you not understand context and circumstantial evidence from multiple sources? Wix is just one in this thread of multiple places of evidence.

I don't find Wix's spec of it's to be evidence definitive or otherwise to reach any conclusion regarding the 910s efficiency. In other words I find no correlation.

An orange can is in the ~95% @20um too doesn't mean the oems equivalents are in that range. Bottom line I find that using Wix's efficiency to be even a factor for accurately determining the 910 efficiency to be nothing more than a leap faith.

'For me' the only relevant related efficiency is that of known the 820S.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I don't find Wix's spec of it's to be evidence definitive or otherwise to reach any conclusion regarding the 910s efficiency. In other words I find no correlation.

An orange can is in the ~95% @20um too doesn't mean the oems equivalents are in that range. Bottom line I find that using Wix's efficiency to be even a factor for accurately determining the 910 efficiency to be nothing more than a leap faith.

'For me' the only relevant related efficiency is that of known the 820S.

Fram is quite different than wix. Fram only uses 3 types of media. Wix uses very many different media. Part of that is because Wix buys some filters for applications that they don't make in house. Some of that is they also use less efficient media for different applications. Even when Wix lists the same beta ratios for two different filters, they will commonly have different micron ratings.

Majority Wix filter betas show 95%@20um, some exceptions not too many in automotive applications.

And following through on the reverse engineered slightly better/matching efficiency reasoning, using the Honda A02 application the newer Wix 57356 would be in the no more than ~70%@20um to be slightly better than Amsoil tested rating of ~66%@20um.

And using the same thought the Amsoil tested Denso equivalent 51349 would be in the ~55%@20um to slightly beat the oem rating of 51%@20um. Not so for either wix equivalent, both are rated 95@20um. Fortunately there is the Amsoil test proving that using Wix efficiency as an indication of oem efficiency is not reliable. If not for that, some might be misguided to think both oems were much efficient than they are.

Only thing I find is that 'if' the 910S is in the same range as the now known FL820S, is a coincidence with the majority of Wix filter beta efficiencies, which happens to be 95%@20um. That said, it's unknown but likely the same as the Amsoil tested 820S filter which thanks to Amsoil it is definitively known. In other words attempting to use Wix as a reliable indicator of oem efficiency is a leap of faith with no authoritative support.

Is a 910S appropriate for a 10K oil change? I plan on doing that with my new Focus after I dump the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Is a 910S appropriate for a 10K oil change? I plan on doing that with my new Focus after I dump the factory fill.

The answer is, if 10k is the recommended oci/fci for your driving profile, then Ford thinks so because the MC910S is warranteed for that oci. I'd think that in a well maintained vehicle 10k mi. on an MC would be fine. Been at least one 820S and 400S run to 15k miles posted here in the last year or so with no issues.

That said, depends on how concerned you would be about the several MC anecdotes posted that have exhibited tears. Much rarer than the Purolator anecdotes, but should be noted.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

I have been doing 10K OCIs with MC filters, including the 910s, for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back