FL820S on '19 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

D60

Nothing seems to recommend the FL820S for the newer Ram Rebel, instead calling out the PF48E or 57060

In comparing the specs the threads are the same and gasket diameters are the same (OD might be off by 1/16" but I've found various manufacturers vary slightly in their listing of gasket specs)

Now granted I have not yet changed the oil in this '19 which I will be maintaining for a non-profit for whom I volunteer, so maybe the MC FL820S simply won't fit physically?

But if there's space, is there a compelling reason the 820S is a bad idea on a '19 5.7?? I've been using it on our '12 for years, but then for '12 various listings would show it as an option (like O'Reilly's site and RA)

If the 820S doesn't properly cross reference as an approved after market filter for this engine, then I would not use it. The 2019 has an engine warranty that could be compromised by not using an approved aftermarket filter. From what you said, the FL 820S does not properly cross reference. By using it, even if it fits, you can be compromising an potential engine warranty claim.

I dunno, I feel like quick lube joints have really consolidated to as few filters as possible to simplify their lives and maximize profits.

Sometimes I'll yank a filter from a quick lube that looks physically unlike anything I've ever used or would use.

I wonder if we could stay out of the sky-is-falling warranty fear arguments on touch on why, specifically, an FL820s would not work here? Flow restrictions? Silicone ADBV not desireable for some reason?

Any other actual tech?

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
If the 820S doesn't properly cross reference as an approved after market filter for this engine, then I would not use it. The 2019 has an engine warranty that could be compromised by not using an approved aftermarket filter. From what you said, the FL 820S does not properly cross reference. By using it, even if it fits, you can be compromising an potential engine warranty claim.

I sure as heck wouldn't even try to squeeze a MC FL820S in there. It wont fit either. Using six 57060 that IS SPECIFIED for the hemi also.

Talking bout consolidating; our Ford f250 plow trucks spec a wix 51372 but places and quick lubes are using a MC FL500S. Why: NO IDEA

My understanding is they went to the new smaller filter when they went to electric power steering. Had to do with the clearance. I wouldn't risk using any filter that isn't specified on a brand new truck. My 16 has the smaller filter and its fine.

Originally Posted by D60
Nothing seems to recommend the FL820S for the newer Ram Rebel, instead calling out the PF48E or 57060

I assume the FL820 is a Motorcraft and it would be my choice on a Ford, and PF48E is AC Delco and would be my choice on a GM, but why on earth would you put it on a Chrysler?

Ok so it sounds like physical space constraints.

I have a box of Motorcraft 820's but just trying to be ready to work this '19 into the maintenance rotation.

I ordered some AC Delco 48's today. Thank you BITOG

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by D60

I assume the FL820 is a Motorcraft and it would be my choice on a Ford, and PF48E is AC Delco and would be my choice on a GM, but why on earth would you put it on a Chrysler?

By the same logic a Wix should only go on a Wix vehicle and a Purolator on a Purolator vehicle?

Could I run a Fiat filter on the 5.7? How 'bout if the rumored Peugeot merger happens? Must I use a Peugeot filter then?

Originally Posted by D60
Originally Posted by D60

By the same logic a Wix should only go on a Wix vehicle and a Purolator on a Purolator vehicle?

Could I run a Fiat filter on the 5.7? How 'bout if the rumored Peugeot merger happens? Must I use a Peugeot filter then?

36.gif

Originally Posted by D60
Originally Posted by D60

I don't use Wix or Purolator, I just buy the same filter that was on the car originally for that dealer serviced look. Don't know if a Fiat filter fits, but if it's a Mopar, give it a shot.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Talking bout consolidating; our Ford f250 plow trucks spec a wix 51372 but places and quick lubes are using a MC FL500S. Why: NO IDEA

FL500S seems to have replaced the FL820S on many Ford vehicles, and maybe so in other equipment calling for the FL820S. I think the bypass valve is set higher on the FL500s.

Under warranty, I would just use an oem filter. No headaches if something ever happens to the engine. If that is not do-able, then use a filter specified for that vehicle by the filter manufacturer. Using one that fits, but is not actually spec'd by the filter maker, gives them an out should anything happen.

On a 2019 truck, why risk it ?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

FL500S seems to have replaced the FL820S on many Ford vehicles, and maybe so in other equipment calling for the FL820S. I think the bypass valve is set higher on the FL500s.

Zee0Six: I feel safer using what's recommended instead of this consolidated stuff. Just my opinion

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Zee0Six: I feel safer using what's recommended instead of this consolidated stuff. Just my opinion

Well of course. I was just throwing in why some applications might be specing the FL500S over the FL820S even though they could both be used on the same filter mount physically.

L12222 Purolator
10060 Fram
57060 Wix
MO-339 Mopar

With all these readily available at multiple stores, why would you put a Ford part on a Mopar?

Originally Posted by geeman789
Under warranty, I would just use an oem filter. No headaches if something ever happens to the engine. If that is not do-able, then use a filter specified for that vehicle by the filter manufacturer. Using one that fits, but is not actually spec'd by the filter maker, gives them an out should anything happen.

On a 2019 truck, why risk it ?

+1

Compelling reason not to use a FL-820s?

They are known to tear and not specified for your engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back