FL400S cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Motorcraft are THE value filters to buy. Bang for buck is through the roof. The roof is on fire.

+1 - my favs the 910S and the 400S

There have been almost no issues with Motorcrafts compared to the Puro branded filters. I believe they are still trustworthy.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
good choice to bring the purolaters back but the motorcraft is made by tearolater also so i would be cautious

Now this is getting beyond my comfort zone. It doesn't make sense that only one filter brand is affected by the same weakness in the manufacturing process....sewn edging that pulls apart. If the PP1/PC are getting torn, then so should be the MC's and any other brand sporting similar construction that Puralator is fronting. I'm about to the point where I'm going to stay away from anything but synthetic, high mileage filters. It's the simplest and safest way.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
good choice to bring the purolaters back but the motorcraft is made by tearolater also so i would be cautious

Now this is getting beyond my comfort zone. It doesn't make sense that only one filter brand is affected by the same weakness in the manufacturing process....sewn edging that pulls apart. If the PP1/PC are getting torn, then so should be the MC's and any other brand sporting similar construction that Puralator is fronting. I'm about to the point where I'm going to stay away from anything but synthetic, high mileage filters. It's the simplest and safest way.

Don't succumb to the fear. Motorcraft may be 'made by Puro' but they're made under Ford specs and to meet Ford quality standards. As such, they are superior to the standard Puro filters, and don't seem to be victim of the proplems that have been plaguing Puro filters.

I've cut open many MC filters, and have yet to see any filter that wasn't in tip-top shape, even after a 7,500 mile OCI/FCI. Each and every one looked (and felt) like it could have easily gone another 2,500 miles on my car.

True, Motorcraft failures are way down on the failure list of Purolator made filters. From the Stu_Rock spreadsheet.

Failures by product line
PureOne - 28
Classic - 17
Bosch - 7
Motorcraft - 3
Mann - 2

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
True, Motorcraft failures are way down on the failure list of Purolator made filters. From the Stu_Rock spreadsheet.

Failures by product line
PureOne - 28
Classic - 17
Bosch - 7
Motorcraft - 3
Mann - 2

Are people cutting open the same % of the other filters? I suspect a much higher % of PP1's are getting inspected because of the first few failures. I sure won't bother with cutting open my old M1 filters but you can bet I'll eventually open the used PP1's I have. Any idea what the % failure rate is? 10? 5%? 1%? Isn't it interesting that not a single low end FRAM, Champ, Driveworks, etc. failure is reported. Are they perfect filters? You can't find failures if you don't look or if no one here buys them.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Failures by product line
PureOne - 28
Classic - 17
Bosch - 7
Motorcraft - 3
Mann - 2

Simplify it even further
PureOne - 35 (Bosch = P1)
Classic - 19 (Mann = Classic)
Motorcraft - 3

Motorcraft is very similar, but not identical, to the P1

The rate of failure between lines could very well be close if not the same. Motorcraft typically gets used only on Ford cars (even though they may fit many others), so a smaller sample size.

That compilation of similar brands seems more revealing. Gives me even less confidence in paper filters as a whole. I though Mann filters were top of the line. Are the M/C filter media pleats joined together in a different way than the Puro's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back