FL400S cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Ford Focus 2.0
7554 miles on OCI, currently at 32,590 miles
Motorcraft FL400S/Pennzoil Platinum 5w20
Last oil change was 1/9/15

ADBV is soft everything appeared to be in good condition, the base is heavier than I expected. I'm not yet used to OCI longer than 5k but this looks good to me. I use the FL400S instead of the FL910S, with the newer shorter 400 it fits just fine in my Focus (doesn't hang too low), unlike the previous longer size 400. By using the slightly larger filter I can get exactly 5 quarts in instead of 4.5 as the manual says capacity is. It's full right to the upper limit, but it doesn't go over the top mark of the dipstick.

My plan is to continue with the 7500 mile OCI with the 5w20 PP, was about 3/4 quart down by the end of the 7500 miles. I'll be switching my pickup to Motorcraft filters at it's next OCI, these seem to be great filters especially for the price.

Thanks Brian
It restored my faith in MC filters
I like Fram Ultras but have a hoard of $3.68 FL-820s and I'd
like to run them out to 7500-10K and your pictures look great.
Really appreciate it!

You can go to Amazon and put your cars in their "garage" and then use
it to find what filters etc your cars take- many brands with one button push

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
does motor craft not spec filters for Toyotas? I have an 04 highlander.
is motor craft only for fords?
I but fram ultra or dense, have to order the denso

The motorcraft FL910S fits the 3.3L V6 Highlander.

Where exactly is the auto drawback valve, and how does it work (i should already know this).

Originally Posted By: Kira
Seems funny....the plate atop the filter pleats looks like it has 16 rivets in it. I thought oil filters were glued or heat sealed there. Kira
I think those should be formed "dimples".

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Where exactly is the auto drawback valve, and how does it work (i should already know this).
There is no such thing, but the anti drainback valve is that orange silicone rubber flap valve - it seats against the bottom of the base plate and around the ADBV nipple.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: zach1900
There is no such thing, but the anti drainback valve is that orange silicone rubber flap valve - it seats against the bottom of the base plate and around the ADBV nipple.

...and it works like a one-way valve in the oil path, so that the filter and engine oil passages don't "drain back" into the oil pan when the engine is shut off.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Do I see a tear on the pleat on the last photo? or is that the joint line?

That is the joint line, I didn't even see it until I looked at the photo but ran back out into the garage to make sure it wasn't a tear.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
does motor craft not spec filters for Toyotas? I have an 04 highlander.
is motor craft only for fords?
I but fram ultra or dense, have to order the denso

The motorcraft FL910S fits the 3.3L V6 Highlander.

If the FL910S will fit so will the FL400S provided there is room for the extra length, the FL910S is the filter that is specced for the Focus.

And Airgun, I changed the oil in the Taurus yesterday too, it takes the FL820S. It only has a 5k OCI, maybe I'll tear into it and see how it looks.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Do I see a tear on the pleat on the last photo? or is that the joint line?

It's the seam - glued. I run the same filter in my 2010 Fusion and the seams look the same as this one. I tried to pull one apart and it wouldn't budge.

The FL400s is a great filter - I've opened many that I've run for 7,500 miles, and have yet to see a single one that didn't come out looking pristine, just like this one.

IMHO, best bang for the buck out there.

Motorcraft are THE value filters to buy. Bang for buck is through the roof. The roof is on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back