FL-820s with a big hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That is a strange looking hole. I would expect just a tear if it happened during use. I'm thinking that hole might have been there before you installed the filter on the vehicle. It might have happened during the manufacturing process.

The way it's folded under, how clean the edges of the hole are, the pinched pleats and how close it is to the seam, makes me think that also.

By the way, in the pic of the filters, they are The FL-820s. next to that is a Fram PH8316, to the right of that one, a Napa pro select 21315. Under that is a Pro select 21042. To the right of that is the FL-400s. To the right of that is a Champ PH400.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I am so glad I started using stainless steel oil filters years ago!!!
That is cool, yet how well do they actually filter the oil? I once saw a company that could sell stainless steel mesh of various porosity sizes. How is yours constructed and does the filter get the junk out? Also, how can you be sure you clean it well enough? Isn't it a hassle to clean?

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Fram Ultra great choice. Does Puro make MotorCrap?

Yes puro makes motorcraft. And motorcraft is not motorcrap, they're one of the best filters for the money.

What specs does Motorcraft have? How do ya know they are 'best'? Sure silicon ADBV is good, yet how well do they actually filter?

I didn't say they are the best. I said they're one of the best for the money. Big difference there. Also your "best" filter is completely dependent on your application.

The industry needs to completely convert to exposed-media cartridge oil filters so consumers can easily see the media without having to lose a couple of fingers cutting these open (most people don't cut'em open). Obama, push that law thru congress, please.

More and more cars, especially GM's have a cartridge type filter nowadays.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Fram Ultra great choice. Does Puro make MotorCrap?

Yes puro makes motorcraft. And motorcraft is not motorcrap, they're one of the best filters for the money.

What specs does Motorcraft have? How do ya know they are 'best'? Sure silicon ADBV is good, yet how well do they actually filter?

eao-efficiency-chart.jpg

The FL-820S actually filters quite well.

Well, now that I have a Harbor Freight exhaust cutter, I'll definitely be cutting open the FL910S when it comes off my Toyota. Along with any other filters I have, of course.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Purolator is the new Fram
(figuratively and literally)

No, literally, Purolator is still Purolator.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
That's a big hole. It's disappointing when you depend on a product to give reliable service. But if 4K miles wasn't too much, 10 months probably was.

Filters last a lot longer than 10 months while in use. Mileage is the main factor, time not so much.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Those are half-way decent filtration specs, except the lowly Fram ExtraGuard PH2 cross referenced to the FL820S is at 95%, ToughGuard is 99%. of course the FL820S is made by Purolator and tears.... big strike against it.

This failure looks similar to an "ecore blow-out". To me, it looks like the media flattened out between the widely spaced pleats and wasn't up against the center tube for support. So the flow pressure ended up blowing a big hole in the media.

The recurring theme in any filter with torn or blown-out media (regardless of brand) is widely spaced pleats and/or widely spaced V-spread at the end of the pleats, and flattening out of the media in a way that the oil flow pressure puts excessive force on the media.

FL-820s3.jpg

Look how flat that pleat is next to the blown-out pleat in the photo below. The oil flow was really trying to flatten them out. What went wrong is the pleat spacing was way to large in that area.

FL-820s2.jpg

Those are half-way decent filtration specs, except the lowly Fram ExtraGuard PH2 cross referenced to the FL820S is at 95%, ToughGuard is 99%. of course the FL820S is made by Purolator and tears.... big strike against it.

The FL-820S is assembled by Purolator. Ford spec's the media. Similar to how the AMSOIL, Royal Purple...etc filters are assembled by Donaldson, Champion....etc.

The same goes for Chrysler filters which have been assembled by both Purolator and Champion depending on the year.

And yes, they are decent specs for an OEM filter (particularly in comparison to the two Japanese OEM filters also listed there) and compare well to the GM and Chrysler filter specs. The FL-820S is also a relatively inexpensive filter and has a threaded-end bypass to prevent media wash as per Ford's spec.

Also the ExtraGuard at 95% is for the FL-1A sized filter as per FRAM, not the PH2 (FL-820S) unless you are seeing something on their site I am not?

Originally Posted By: FRAM
2 FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A, and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or XG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns

The same statement is made with respect to the ToughGuard:

Originally Posted By: FRAM
2 FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, 3387A, and 4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or XG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns

And I see no mention of the actual filtration efficiency for the PH2 and TG2 listed under their respective product pages:

PH2:
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH2

TG2:
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=TG2

We rarely see a failed Motorcraft filter here ... this one was a rare fluke IMO. Again, very large pleat spacing (for some manufacturing reason) occurred, which led to this failure.

If you spaced pleats like that on any filter, it's likely the media could stress out and fail. There is a reason you never ever see media tears on filters with very tight and evenly spaced pleats with small V-spread on the ends ... because in that configuration the force/stress on the media is minimized by design.

Also keep in mind that a design can be perfect on paper, but if you can't manufacture the product per design specs, then you could have problems with quality. IMO, that's the root cause of Purolator's tearing media issue. They need to get the pleat spacing and V-spread right on the pleats or they will continue to have tearing problems.

The FL-820S is assembled by Purolator. Ford spec's the media. Similar to how the AMSOIL, Royal Purple...etc filters are assembled by Donaldson, Champion....etc.
The Rank Group owns Fram now, and they bought Champion as well. Fram makes Royal Purpil under unique specs of course. Its hard to keep track of since ownership changes means production might move around. For example, Fram now makes M1 oil filters since Rank stepped in.

Also the ExtraGuard at 95% is for the FL-1A sized filter as per FRAM, not the PH2 (FL-820S) unless you are seeing something on their site I am not?

Motorking says ExtraGuards are 95% and the web page too http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-extra-guard-oil-filter.aspx, and the PH2 in particular uses the same glass-cellulose blended media. (ToughGuards blend in a higher % glass.)

I'll have an 820s in about 500 miles. Can't wait to cut and share after seeing this.

X2 on it being a manufacturing defect. It looks nothing like a Purolator tear.

I ran one for 15K with no issues and have not had any tears to date. This looks like something that happened during the manufacturing process as opposed to an operational tear. Nonetheless, when any company mass produces there are going to be issues at some point or another. The primary difference in any of them in my mind is how the company reacts to and handles the issues when they are repeatedly detected. Thus far, Purolator has neither acknowledged nor taken action to rectify the "tearing" problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back