FL-820s LONGER alternative ?

I'm looking for a LONGER alternative for the FL-820s motorcraft filter. I used to use the "820" which was slightly longer. But I can't find them any more. Does anyone know of a longer filter (any brand) that will work? I have also tried to find a site where i could look up filters with a 22x1.5mm thread. But I'm not finding anything. Any "help" would be greatly appreciated.

The fl820 is pretty much the largest filter that fits m22x1.5 other than some more obscure (and expensive) application specific filters for heavy duty equipment.

Try Googling Longer alternative for FL-820s and if nothing comes up, then Google the same thing and add Bitog!

There are no longer alternatives for the FL-820s filter at this time. I researched Fram and Wix's part catalogs to no avail. The thread pitch and diameter are the limiting factors.

The best alternative would be a filter relocation kit that would provide an alternate thread pitch and diameter

You mean other than using the filter that is listed for your vehicle, knowing that a longer filter will do very little if anything of benefit.
Is that what the guy at JIFFY LUBE told you ?

What vehicle is this that a couple of ounces extra capacity is critical to it's lifespan? An F150 or a GT40?
The GTs don't even use a FL-820S. The 05-06 use a cartridge one and the 17+ ones have a bespoke filter that I can't even order because my dealer is not authorized to order new GT parts.

I'm looking for a LONGER alternative for the FL-820s motorcraft filter. I used to use the "820" which was slightly longer. But I can't find them any more. Does anyone know of a longer filter (any brand) that will work? I have also tried to find a site where i could look up filters with a 22x1.5mm thread. But I'm not finding anything. Any "help" would be greatly appreciated.
This is already a big filter. Yes, it's smaller than the FL-1A, but so is everything for light duty applications. What is this going on that has you concerned?

I’d be much more concerned about filter media beta ratings than a little extra length, which may expose the filter to physical damage… which would drain the extra capacity and the sump in short order if it was punctured by road debris.

The GTs don't even use a FL-820S. The 05-06 use a cartridge one and the 17+ ones have a bespoke filter that I can't even order because my dealer is not authorized to order new GT parts.
OK, here's my reason. I don't use the (thinner than water) 20 weight or even (thin as water) 30 weight oil manufacturers recommend. I run FULL SYN 5w40 in everything. And I'm not concerned about an extra couple ounces of capacity. I'm looking for MORE square inch's of filter material. If you think the smaller filter is adequate, good for you. I didn't come here for an opinion on weather I needed a longer filter or not. I made that decision all by my self. I simply asked if anyone knew of a longer filter for my 4.6 ford that took a 820 filter for years, and now Motorcraft has added an "s" to the filter and makes them shorter. (reducing capacity) .
And I THANK everyone that gave "HELPFUL" info. While I'm at it, I'll answer a question BEFORE it's asked. I know an old engineer from GM. He told me GM spent MILLIONS........ MILLIONS of dollars to gain 1 MPG "FLEET AVERAGE" (a big deal with EPA mandates) When GM went to "THINNER" oil, they gained 1.2 MPG across the fleet average. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! They would run 5 weight if the engines would live past the warranty. And listen to the CASTROL oil commercial if you can still find it. They say CASTROL gives superior protection to ANY OTHER 10W30 weight oil. Why you ask??? Because any no name 40 weight will out perform the BEST 30 weight. And look at this -> JMO.

I simply asked if anyone knew of a longer filter for my 4.6 ford that took a 820 filter for years, and now Motorcraft has added an "s" to the filter and makes them shorter. (reducing capacity) .

As a matter of fact, Ford introduced the FL-820S back in the mid 90s, and the "S" is for "silicone", because it has a silicone anti drainback valve.

This was all covered in a TSB that Ford issued at the time. The silicone anti drainback valve was added because some engines which used the FL-820 had startup timing chain rattle noises. (The previous anti drainback valve was nitrile).

So an FL-820 (no "S") has been UNAVAILABLE for over 25 years.

Back