Fixing cracks in concrete pool deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the best way to seal and fix concrete pool deck cracks? I was going to try and use waterproof caulking on the cracks and rub it in with something like a grout sponge. Would that work or should I just caulk the crack on top and use a putty knife to level. Deck will get painted after repairs.

There is no "fix" for cracked concrete, only replacement. If you want to try caulking, I'd recommend an elastomeric or beutyl caulk, as it has excellent adhesion and superior elasticity.

Here's some options >>>>> https://www.homedepot.com/s/crack%2520seal?NCNI-5

Last edited:
If they are line cracks, no width, I grind out a V groove with an angle grinder at least 1/4" wide. I have used concrete Fixall from a hardware store. Vacuum the V, rinse it with water, and press in the peanut butter consistency mixed Fixall to level. Use the putty knife to force the mix down deep into the crack
49.gif

I tried a quick-set mix last year on a 1/2-1" crack, with closed-cell foam wedged deep into the crack. The "repair" cracked while drying but was good enough to keep most water out over the winter, so the crack didn't really get worse. We lived with it this summer, and I may just cover the crack with rubber over the winter and plan to replace next spring. The concrete guys around here are not interested in a small job of replacing 1-2 sections of an existing apron.

I plan to do some testing to get the mixture/texture right before trying to replace the entire section. Ours has a very pronounced swirling brush pattern to aid traction that will take some practice to replicate.

If you have a crack.... you want to fill it with something that will stretch with the movement of concrete. If you fill it in with concrete again it may crack again in the same place or cause another crack elseware.

Originally Posted by 007
What is the best way to seal and fix concrete pool deck cracks? I was going to try and use waterproof caulking on the cracks and rub it in with something like a grout sponge. Would that work or should I just caulk the crack on top and use a putty knife to level. Deck will get painted after repairs.

You're in Florida (I assume) so freeze/thaw isn't an issue.

There are a lot of good quality masonry crack fillers available. Personally I like Quick Crete products. Since you're planning to paint over it (my opinion, a bad idea unless you're using something like Roller Rock from Daich Coatings) then it won't be hard to make the cracks disappear. You will always need to widen out and clean up the cracks before putting anything in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back