Fix a Flat voids tire warranty

That's like saying the 1/2" hole in my floor joists that wiring goes through is "structural failure" on my house.

If the plug holds and the belts don't corrode, I get to use the rest of my tire.

If the belts do corrode, then the tire goes bad, (perhaps quickly) and I don't get to use it, which is back where I started at.

I don't drive on the autobahn, so the risk-reward works for me.

Apples to Oranges. Your floor joist's don't have to take constant road shocks while flexing and hoping that contact adhesive on your tire plug holds onto your tire. I choose Apples...

Slime is great for ATV and Mower tires!!!!

I would never use it in a car tire. I have used both mushroom plugs and the old style rope plugs...the rope plugs have worked 100% of the time, and the mushroom plugs have failed 100% of the time.

I probably should have mentioned that it worked great in the mower. The only issue I had was that due to my inexperience with the product, I had no idea that I had to orient the tire in such a way as to keep the hole in the tire facing down when adding the product. Would recommend this product for a riding lawn mower.

Thanks for the reminder not to any sealer in a tire with TPS.

I've used Fix a Flat over the years with good results.

I still keep a can in my 97 Volvo just in case I get a flat on a long trip.

I’d never use a sealant on a car tire, yeah it’s fine for tubeless mtb tires but I can easily see how using something like that would be a valid reason for voiding a warranty. I used slime ages ago, for a slow leak in a pinch, Fixed the leak but could never end up getting that tire to balance right after driving on it with the sealant for a few hundred miles.

I am going to repeat what I have seen many say. I agree, keep a small plug kit and small compressor on hand. I have used many plugs in tires without any issue. I have used many in southern desert climates with temperature ranges from 25-115 degrees without issues. I don't think they should void a warranty for some roadside emergency attempt, but most companies will love to use any reason not admit fault and take ownership of it.

I am going to repeat what I have seen many say. I agree, keep a small plug kit and small compressor on hand. I have used many plugs in tires without any issue. I have used many in southern desert climates with temperature ranges from 25-115 degrees without issues. I don't think they should void a warranty for some roadside emergency attempt, but most companies will love to use any reason not admit fault and take ownership of it.

I keep a spare tire and a small compressor.

Slime is great for ATV and Mower tires!!!!

I would never use it in a car tire. I have used both mushroom plugs and the old style rope plugs...the rope plugs have worked 100% of the time, and the mushroom plugs have failed 100% of the time.
There’s people who used Slime on pushbike tires - tubed or as a substitute for real tubeless sealant(like Stan’s or Orange Seal) with disaster if anything bigger than a thorn injures a tire.

Unless it’s the OEM sanctioned sealant from Conti or Sumitomo(Dunlop), it’s a hard pass of sealants for car tires. Many cars now don’t have spare tires, so it’s a call to AAA.

There’s people who used Slime on pushbike tires - tubed or as a substitute for real tubeless sealant(like Stan’s or Orange Seal) with disaster if anything bigger than a thorn injures a tire.

Unless it’s the OEM sanctioned sealant from Conti or Sumitomo(Dunlop), it’s a hard pass of sealants for car tires. Many cars now don’t have spare tires, so it’s a call to AAA.

Dunlop/Sumitomo has an OEM sealant too? :eek: :cool:

I know about Conti's, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore :mad:

I did find a knockoff on Amazon called Airman ResQ

Dunlop/Sumitomo has an OEM sealant too? :eek: :cool:

I know about Conti's, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore :mad:

I did find a knockoff on Amazon called Airman ResQ
Yep - Dunlop Tech. Seems to be OEM for the Japanese, obviously.

Dunlop tech also created the indirect TPMS that Toyota and Honda uses. Seeing the linkage within the Sumitomo conglomerate and how Advics is really a joint venture between the braking/chassis control businesses of Aisin and Denso and Sumitomo Electric’s braking business it makes sense.

I've been taught to never use Slime (yes that would be the best one.)

I was taught it ruins the tire and at best makes a royal mess on rim too.

First question tire places ask is, "Did you put tire sealant in it?" If yes.. they won't touch..

Just like AC stop leak and the machine. "Did you put stop leak in it?" If they don't believe you, they won't put your car on the machine.

Fix a Flat and Slime won't repair sidewall issues. There is no repair for sidewall issues.

Add: Once the sidewall on a tire goes.. Gash, slit, puncture, bubble, wrinkle, blowout small or large.. Thats it. Time for a new tire. Tire is done.

Fix a Flat and Slime won't repair sidewall issues. There is no repair for sidewall issues.

Add: Once the sidewall on a tire goes.. Gash, slit, puncture, bubble, wrinkle, blowout small or large.. Thats it. Time for a new tire. Tire is done.

Unless you're 50 miles from any civilization with no Cell service, when you get a gash in a sidewall, and use 20 rope plugs to fill the hole, then air it back up a bit with your portable air compressor...

Unless you're 50 miles from any civilization with no Cell service, when you get a gash in a sidewall, and use 20 rope plugs to fill the hole, then air it back up a bit with your portable air compressor...

I'm not familiar with what a "rope plug" is ? However in an instance like that.. in essence that is a Drive On The Flat scenario if the tire is toast anyway?

I saw that many or more plugs in the sidewall of a super swampier back in my off-road days. Truck limped back to pavement.

Back