Fix a Flat voids tire warranty

manicrodder

$50 site donor 2022
I put a set of pathfinder tires on the Nissan a year ago with full warranty. I had a flat shortly after and had 2 cans of fix a flat behind the seat. It went in the tire but didn't raise it at all. I put on the spare took it to discount tire and they fixed it just like they always do.
I just sold the truck to my granddaughter and she had a flat and used the other can. Same story. Got a quote from Meinicke because they said the tire was no good due to the sealer. They wanted 250 bucks.
I told my granddaughter take it to discount tire because they were under warranty. Discount tire said they might not be able to replace it because of the sealer. However they replaced it for no charge with a Falken because that was all they had.
So I'd be leery about using anymore fix a flat.

Fix a flat is useless. Slime is better. Someone else posted this on here, but I couldn't find it :oops:

Anyway, here is the video from Project Farm. He tested a few different tire sealants, and the only one that didn't work was Fix-a-Flat

Yeah, I never use that stuff, just carry a Ryobi tire inflator. If that doesn't work, time to put on the spare.

Never never ever... It not only throws your tire out of balance if it happens to work. But if you ever go to a very cold climate the remaining Tire Slime, or Fix A Flat will freeze and then you will have fun with that frozen ball inside your tire. I don't approve of plugs either. Tire must dismount, Patch, remount.

Never never ever... It not only throws your tire out of balance if it happens to work. But if you ever go to a very cold climate the remaining Tire Slime, or Fix A Flat will freeze and then you will have fun with that frozen ball inside your tire. I don't approve of plugs either. Tire must dismount, Patch, remount.
A plug is far better than nothing... yes I imagine the best way is to patch from the inside, but I've used plugs a handful of times and they've held up the life of the tire with absolutely no problems.

My tire shop, been in the family for a few generations usually just puts a plug in my flats in the middle of the tread. Never had any problems, and I've had plenty of those flats over the decades on the roads in the NY metro area which are filled with many potholes and other debri.

OTOH, if there was other damage that perhaps a shade tree guy could have bush fixed, they insisted on selling me a new tire.

Yep I have heard it ruins the inside of the tire so you have to replace the tire. That’s why I always try to have a spare with me.

My brother put some of that slime in a car I had years ago and didn't tell me about it. A year later (well next summer) the tire started leaking again and when I dismounted it I saw all the dried up poweder in it and knew what it was. At least when it dried up it was ok to clean out! I fixed it properly and the tire was fine for another year+ till I replaced them all.

Use a mushroom plug, never had an issue.

LOL, if you don't tell a Mech you recently put slime or FF in your tire he is not going to be happy with you!

The biggest problem with driving on a plugged tire is that you still have a hole in your tire! While it may be a temporary fix, it's important to recognize that there is still a structural failure in your tire that needs to be addressed. A plug or tire patch by itself is not a proper repair. That's because a plug does not permanently seal the inner-liner and the inside-only patch doesn't fill the hole left by the nail or screw, allowing water into the body of the tire and corroding the steel belts.

it's important to recognize that there is still a structural failure in your tire that needs to be addressed. A plug or tire patch by itself is not a proper repair.
That's like saying the 1/2" hole in my floor joists that wiring goes through is "structural failure" on my house.

If the plug holds and the belts don't corrode, I get to use the rest of my tire.

If the belts do corrode, then the tire goes bad, (perhaps quickly) and I don't get to use it, which is back where I started at.

I don't drive on the autobahn, so the risk-reward works for me.

A plug is not the best solution, but I've never had one fail when it was applied in the center tread. Unfortunately, in these days of AWD systems, replacing one tire usually means replacing all 4, or trying to get the replacement shaved down.

Slime is great for ATV and Mower tires!!!!

I would never use it in a car tire. I have used both mushroom plugs and the old style rope plugs...the rope plugs have worked 100% of the time, and the mushroom plugs have failed 100% of the time.

Back