Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rationull
Nice purchase, congrats! I checked out the new Fits at my Honda dealer a few weeks ago when I was there to pick up an oil filter. Didn't drive one, but I was impressed with the interior. I think the current Fit is an aesthetic improvement over the first generation. Recently I've been daydreaming about trading in for a hatchback since moving bikes with my Civic is kind of a pain, and if I did that it'd be a tough choice between the Mazda3 5 door and the Fit, but I'd probably end up going with the Fit. (Moot point really since it makes no financial sense to trade).

Keep us posted though. Should be a great car!

Just to confound you a bit more: wait until Ford brings in its version of a sporty subcompact that is heavily based on the Mazda2 (that is not and will not be available here) called the Fiesta.

Mazda2_15.jpg

Ford-Fiesta-RS.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
"At 73-75ish mph, it was taching at or just below 2,500 rpms."

Wow..that's amazing for a small car. Honda must be working on their low end power.
It really is!

Wonder what the manual would be doing @ 75mph?

I know the Auto Civic does lower RPMS @ 75mph than the manual one.. By quite a bit. One reason why I got a Corolla...

Any one know what the manual does???

It's been my experience that most cars have the auto geared taller than the manual, at least as far as top gear is concerned.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Cool! Can you stuff it in the back of the Odyssey?

Joel

Lol, don't know about that, but it might "fit" in the bed of my LWB Silverado work truck.

If you look at the website, the mpg figures are better or the same on the base and Sport automatics. That beingsaid, I seem to recall either Car and Driver or Consumer Reports reporting their real-world testing showed the 5 speed coming out on top.

Myself, I was willing to sacrifice for an auto. I figured I'd kinda get the best of both worlds with the paddle shifting. I've owned three different manual trans cars. All were fun to row. At the same time, sometimes it's enjoyable to be brain dead and let the car do it for you, I've learned...

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx?group=epa

be nice to see the COLT make a comeback here . There's a diesel that gets around 50 m.p.g.. Were COLT fans years ago .

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: rationull
Nice purchase, congrats! I checked out the new Fits at my Honda dealer a few weeks ago when I was there to pick up an oil filter. Didn't drive one, but I was impressed with the interior. I think the current Fit is an aesthetic improvement over the first generation. Recently I've been daydreaming about trading in for a hatchback since moving bikes with my Civic is kind of a pain, and if I did that it'd be a tough choice between the Mazda3 5 door and the Fit, but I'd probably end up going with the Fit. (Moot point really since it makes no financial sense to trade).

Keep us posted though. Should be a great car!

Just to confound you a bit more: wait until Ford brings in its version of a sporty subcompact that is heavily based on the Mazda2 (that is not and will not be available here) called the Fiesta.

Mazda2_15.jpg

Ford-Fiesta-RS.jpg

So Sexy!
20.gif

2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L
2009 Honda Fit Sport

You realize there's a place for you in Honda Heaven when you die?

I really like the new fit as well, but two kids and two chocolate labs has me looking at the new generation CR-V instead. The second lab is just a pup, and I now regret getting rid of my 2006 Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: rcy
2002 Honda CR-V EX AWD
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L
2009 Honda Fit Sport

You realize there's a place for you in Honda Heaven when you die?

I really like the new fit as well, but two kids and two chocolate labs has me looking at the new generation CR-V instead. The second lab is just a pup, and I now regret getting rid of my 2006 Odyssey.

LOL.gif

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that the dealer didn't take our picture or something for being loyal customers.
grin2.gif

I don't blame you on the CR-V. I'd be perfectly happy to keep driving mine every day but since we were keeping the V, all I needed was something to get to work and back.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Yep. I saw one drive by the other day and assumed it was part of their Fiesta promotion thing where they gave them to folks for 6 months. I sat it in a Mazda2 in Germany and wondered when it would come to the US.

I believe the dopes at Mazda were using a lot of their production capacity for the US to increase production of the Mazda3 and the new 6 instead of readying the Mazda2 for N. America...

I'm not sure, but I think they're taking a bit of a bath on the Mazda6 and they had a lot of old stock 3s on hand to get rid of for the new body style...

They never had a plan to bring the 2 to the US. They were and are cranking out plenty for Japan and Europe though.

Last edited:
Can't believe you guys get so excited over little economy cars. It's like you're drooling over a Ferrari or something.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Wonder what the manual would be doing @ 75mph?

IIRC the manual is closer to 3500 RPM at 75, geared a little lower than the Civic MT. I've not driven a Fit myself but hypermiling forums are filled with disappointment over Honda's gearing on the MT fit, both the previous gen and the new one.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Can't believe you guys get so excited over little economy cars. It's like you're drooling over a Ferrari or something.

The favorite cars and trucks I have owned have been 4 cyl with manual trannys. Its a blast to use everything a engine has. And the newer 4 cyls like my newer Tacoma turns only 2300 RPM at 70 MPH. Took a drive on rural 2 lane recently and never used 5th gear and still got 25 MPG on that trip of 135 miles. The speeds on that trip were 55 to 65 MPH. At 60 in 4th revs are up nearer the torque peak and is a blast to aggressively roll on the throttle exiting corners on curvy roads. Some of us like to be actively involved in driving, not just sitting there with 2 fingers on the wheel, bored to tears.

I'm with ya, bro. I'll take my 34 mpg (highway) Impala any day over a Japanese subcompact deathtrap. For just a few mpg penalty, I traded my Chevy Cobalt for the current Impala. It just wasn't worth a little bit of mpg difference.

Okay, on the ride home, 70 mph was just a hair under 2500 rpm. The guage isn't incremented very well so it was hard to tell. Average mpg over this tank so far, with a/c blasting is 37.3 mpg.

Lol, I like all cars. Sitting right here next to my computer is the newest HOT ROD, fresh from the mailbox. This is a Ferarri for a practical dad of 3 with 120+ miles of commuting per day.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: cousincletus

I'm with ya, bro. I'll take my 34 mpg (highway) Impala any day over a Japanese subcompact deathtrap. For just a few mpg penalty, I traded my Chevy Cobalt for the current Impala. It just wasn't worth a little bit of mpg difference.

Um, it's not a "death trap." It utilizes Honda's unibody/frame "ACE™" technology that directs energy of an impact away from the occupants and nets the car and it earned five-star safety rating...

The idea of "bigger is safer" is a bit silly when you look at the Autobahn and the fact that Germany traditionally had a lower death rate in accidents despite having no speed limits...

The bottom line is that technology trumps "size" as the bigger cars of the 1950s were deathtraps...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back