Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm sure you won't regret the Fit now anyways, especially with a small payment. I guess I should go test driving one day, just to get a feel for all these cars. I've driven the Echo and if the Fit motor is like that its fine for me. I should try a manual Cobalt as it should be fairly quick given its hp and torque (155/150)but it may not drive as strong I think. Sometimes too I think they back off the timing too much on manual cars to avoid pinging for folks who don't like to downshift.

Nice choice . We test drove a few '08 and '09 automatic FITs' and liked them . Wanted to trade in YARIS , but the HONDA dealers wouldn't give us a decent trade or move on the price . The floor mats , cargo cover , and mudguards are extra . If installed by dealer will cost you an extra $600. So , ended up getting '09 automatic 4 door liftback YARIS for $13,800 and a trade in of $8,200 . The YARIS includes floor mats , cargo cover and mat , power windows , power locks , keyless entry , and sliding / reclining rear seat . Plenty of room as well . Didn't hurt having a payment of less than $110 a month . We're averaging close to 37 m.p.g. with it so far . Bought it 2/3s into MARCH . So mileage has been hit with some cold weather and the winter blend of gas containing 10% ethanol . We also noticed that the FIT isn't holding its book value as well as you would expect . Not much more than that of the YARIS at this time . Now is the time to buy while sales are slow , the rebates are in abundance , rates are low , and gas prices are lower . GAS WON'T STAY LOW FOREVER . When fuel does go up the trade-in value for your new FIT or YARIS will rise as well and the money you save at the pump can be applied to pay off the car loan or other bills ( utilities , insurance , etc. ) . So , sooner the loan is paid off you'll save $ on interest and disability / life insurance on the loan ( get a refund check ) . Therefore you'll save money that can be put back into the economy , bank account , or whatever . NOT YOUR GAS TANK . ;- )

Last edited:
Cousin traded in his S.U.V. last year for an '08 YARIS sedan and hasn't looked back . Go for it if you can or if your head will let you .

forgot , many dealers inventory has remained on their lots for months and have to pay interest to bank after 3 months or so . Therefore , look for a vehicle that has a manufactured date older than 3 months of time of purchase ( older the better , but with less miles on odometer ) . The MANUFACTURE DATE is usually found on the drivers side on the frame of car / truck , etc.. May take a bit of time to find it , but can / could save you money .

Last edited:
Nice purchase, congrats! I checked out the new Fits at my Honda dealer a few weeks ago when I was there to pick up an oil filter. Didn't drive one, but I was impressed with the interior. I think the current Fit is an aesthetic improvement over the first generation. Recently I've been daydreaming about trading in for a hatchback since moving bikes with my Civic is kind of a pain, and if I did that it'd be a tough choice between the Mazda3 5 door and the Fit, but I'd probably end up going with the Fit. (Moot point really since it makes no financial sense to trade).

Keep us posted though. Should be a great car!

Also , you could / should bring up how long they've had the vehicle on their lot to the salesperson as a bargaining chip . May want to leave out the 3 month interest thing , may sour the deal , it's your call . GOOD LUCK

the rear seats in the FIT are more versatile , be best for bikes , etc.. The price is what stopped us . Otherwise would of got the FIT for the room , etc..

Originally Posted By: smokey1
the rear seats in the FIT are more versatile , be best for bikes , etc.. The price is what stopped us . Otherwise would of got the FIT for the room , etc..

Same here.

Gawd do I feel like a tool for not getting that Fit!

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Out the door I paid $17,500. Not as cheap as I wanted....but i put a heaping down payment down so the note is peanuts anyway.

I really enjoyed the regular Cobalt I drove for 3 days a couple months back. I was very impressed and started a topic on it here. But all the uncertainty with GM made me a bit gun-shy...

Regarding the Fit engine, I would really recommend driving it before making any judgements. It is incredibly peppy!

Congrats on the new ride!

$17,500 out-the-door...does this include taxes and fees? What was your price for the vehicle before taxes, license, etc?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

$17,500 out-the-door...does this include taxes and fees? What was your price for the vehicle before taxes, license, etc?

Oops! Forgot $1400 in taxes and fees. Plus I broke down and got the extended warrenty
blush.gif

I don't feel bad about the warrenty, though, b/c I'll blow through 36k miles in less than 1.5 yrs with my commute.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well, I'm sure you won't regret the Fit now anyways, especially with a small payment. I guess I should go test driving one day, just to get a feel for all these cars. I've driven the Echo and if the Fit motor is like that its fine for me. I should try a manual Cobalt as it should be fairly quick given its hp and torque (155/150)but it may not drive as strong I think. Sometimes too I think they back off the timing too much on manual cars to avoid pinging for folks who don't like to downshift.

Yeah, it's amazing what GM did to get the fuel mileage up on that car with a motor that strong.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Nice purchase, congrats! I checked out the new Fits at my Honda dealer a few weeks ago when I was there to pick up an oil filter. Didn't drive one, but I was impressed with the interior. I think the current Fit is an aesthetic improvement over the first generation. Recently I've been daydreaming about trading in for a hatchback since moving bikes with my Civic is kind of a pain, and if I did that it'd be a tough choice between the Mazda3 5 door and the Fit, but I'd probably end up going with the Fit. (Moot point really since it makes no financial sense to trade).

Keep us posted though. Should be a great car!

This was another consideration for me over a Cobalt and a Civic. I had a Ford Probe and a SAAB 900 and really missed having a hatch, especially after driving the CR-V.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
Nice choice . We test drove a few '08 and '09 automatic FITs' and liked them . Wanted to trade in YARIS , but the HONDA dealers wouldn't give us a decent trade or move on the price . The floor mats , cargo cover , and mudguards are extra . If installed by dealer will cost you an extra $600. So , ended up getting '09 automatic 4 door liftback YARIS for $13,800 and a trade in of $8,200 . The YARIS includes floor mats , cargo cover and mat , power windows , power locks , keyless entry , and sliding / reclining rear seat . Plenty of room as well . Didn't hurt having a payment of less than $110 a month . We're averaging close to 37 m.p.g. with it so far . Bought it 2/3s into MARCH . So mileage has been hit with some cold weather and the winter blend of gas containing 10% ethanol . We also noticed that the FIT isn't holding its book value as well as you would expect . Not much more than that of the YARIS at this time . Now is the time to buy while sales are slow , the rebates are in abundance , rates are low , and gas prices are lower . GAS WON'T STAY LOW FOREVER . When fuel does go up the trade-in value for your new FIT or YARIS will rise as well and the money you save at the pump can be applied to pay off the car loan or other bills ( utilities , insurance , etc. ) . So , sooner the loan is paid off you'll save $ on interest and disability / life insurance on the loan ( get a refund check ) . Therefore you'll save money that can be put back into the economy , bank account , or whatever . NOT YOUR GAS TANK . ;- )

Yep, I was bummed about the floor mats. But unless there's some screaming deal on eBay, I'll be hitting up Wal-Mart.

Regarding the Yaris, it's certainly a great car and I was glad when they came out with the 4 door hatch. I went and looked at one back in Feb when we were buying our van. In my personal opinion, if they could provide the interior layout of the Scio xD with the exterior of the Yaris, it would be a better deal. I just can't get past the center gauge cluster. I'm sure it grows on you, but...

"At 73-75ish mph, it was taching at or just below 2,500 rpms."

Wow..that's amazing for a small car. Honda must be working on their low end power.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Oops! Forgot $1400 in taxes and fees. Plus I broke down and got the extended warranty
blush.gif

I don't feel bad about the warranty, though, b/c I'll blow through 36k miles in less than 1.5 yrs with my commute.

Hmmm

I think your Honda has a 5 year 36k power train warranty? It may be bumper to bumper 3yr/36k...

Love the color!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the photos!

Keep us updated on the new ride. I've got a friend sitting on the fence for either a Fit or a new Vibe in the next 2-3 months.

I told him that a Vibe may NOT be available in the near future.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
"At 73-75ish mph, it was taching at or just below 2,500 rpms."

Wow..that's amazing for a small car. Honda must be working on their low end power.
It really is!

Wonder what the manual would be doing @ 75mph?

I know the Auto Civic does lower RPMS @ 75mph than the manual one.. By quite a bit. One reason why I got a Corolla...

Any one know what the manual does???

Well, regardless, the 36k would have been the end of it. Yeah, the color is nice. It's called "storm silver metallic." It's a tiny bit darker than my CR-V's "satin silver metallic." Of course, with the wife's "slate green metallic" Odyssey, we have some silvery looking cars in our driveway.

The Vibe was another car I was considering. Same concerns applied although I figured if all else fails a Toyota dealer would know what to do under the hood.

Virago, I meant to re-check the rpms this AM on my commute but forgot. I don't think I ever went above 2.5k rpm in normal level driving. I know I hit 3k on some inclines. As for low end, when I am turning on to a road, the thing winds up quicker than I can slap the paddle shifter!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm impressed the top gear has the rpm so low. Does it rev match on the downshifts or can you do it yourself?

Yeah, me too! Well, it's a 5 speed auto....

Re the manual, I've heard it's improved over the previous generation....But my dealer didn't even have one manual in the literal sea of Fits that it's stockpiled in case of a gas crunch. Last summer, with production winding down on the 08 models, they could not KEEP Fits.

One had to order a Fit -and wait- last summer here. I forget the numbers, but I think the orders were like double Honda's available production for quite some time --until the gas prices dropped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back