Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lovcom

I think you paid way too much for the Fit. Yes, the Fit is a great fantastic car but not worth the amount you paid. For that money you should've got a Civit, or Accord.

Aren't you kind of ignoring the utility difference between the Fit and the Civic with that comparison? It's already been stated that cost wasn't the only consideration here...

So unless I agree that you got a great deal, you are going to be upset by an opinion that runs contra to the lemmings?

I think you paid way too much for the Fit. Yes, the Fit is a great fantastic car but not worth the amount you paid. For that money you should've got a Civit, or Accord.

In case you have not noticed, the country is in a near depression, and if most of us lose our jobs, we lose a lot more.

Yes, the Fit does drive "better" and is bigger then the Yaris, but it seems to me those attributes are not worth THOUSANDS of dollars.

So no, it was not a very good purchase deal.

So you're going to ignore every post I've made in this thread and assume I bought this because it was the cheapest car possible? The country may be in a depression but I am not. I could buy anything I dam# well wanted to. When I looked at what I wanted and what I need the car for, the Fit was what I liked. I don't give one toot what you think of my car and I didn't start this thread for your or anyone else's approval.

But since you do want to divine what the best car is for me, and your batting 0 for 1 so far, you're certainly welcome to make another well thought out recommendation. You've already picked out a car that I can't actually fit my family into. How many "THOUSANDS" to widen the Yaris so I can fit all my kids in it? If utility isn't something you're considering, why stop at a Yaris? I could have bought a motorcycle, bicycle, or unicycle? To bad it's not a downhill iced over shot to work both ways. I could have saved a LOT of money and bought a bobsled.

One more point, if you want to compare a Civic, Accord, or Yaris to a Fit: Looking at the option list in Consumer Reports, the Civic that most directly compares in amenities to the Fit Sport 5 Speed Auto is the LX-S 5AT Sedan. Retail Price: $18,755 Retail Price of Fit Sport Auto:$16,910. No Accord retails below $20k so...

Furthermore, back to Yarisland (aka, the car that doesn't Fit), the most directly comparable model would be the "S" 4 door AT hatch. To match the Fit, you'd also have to add the "Power Package with alloy wheels for S 4 door AT Hatch." Plus, $230 for Remote Keyless Entry. This brings the retail price to...$16645...

There go those "THOUSANDS."

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
It's a oil that they use to pickle the manifold for storage until use.

When they replaced my Dad's 01 Civic motor, they had to use another manifold (they screwed up the orginal) and it stunk for a solid month. That is the reason they told us...

Bill

It's usually a gooey substance known for decades as Cosmoline. Cosmo became famous in WW-2 as virtually all of our weapons were packed in it. Takes a while for it to burn off of the surfaces where it's applied underhood.

Click here for Wiki article on cosmoline.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

So unless I agree that you got a great deal, you are going to be upset by an opinion that runs contra to the lemmings?

In case you have not noticed, the country is in a near depression, and if most of us lose our jobs, we lose a lot more.

Yes, the Fit does drive "better" and is bigger then the Yaris, but it seems to me those attributes are not worth THOUSANDS of dollars.

So no, it was not a very good purchase deal.

So you're going to ignore every post I've made in this thread and assume I bought this because it was the cheapest car possible? The country may be in a depression but I am not. I could buy anything I dam# well wanted to. When I looked at what I wanted and what I need the car for, the Fit was what I liked. I don't give one toot what you think of my car and I didn't start this thread for your or anyone else's approval.

But since you do want to divine what the best car is for me, and your batting 0 for 1 so far, you're certainly welcome to make another well thought out recommendation. You've already picked out a car that I can't actually fit my family into. How many "THOUSANDS" to widen the Yaris so I can fit all my kids in it? If utility isn't something you're considering, why stop at a Yaris? I could have bought a motorcycle, bicycle, or unicycle? To bad it's not a downhill iced over shot to work both ways. I could have saved a LOT of money and bought a bobsled.

I believe you, your definitely not hurting in this economy. isn't your wife a medical doctor or optometrist? I can't remember which one. My wife and I have a healthcare background. No depression on this end except stressful jobs.
grin2.gif
I think you made the right choice. Gas will be $4/gallon once inflation and high gas taxes start raining down.

point is , who cares who does what . It's about your satisfaction and knowing that your helping to use less resources and saving money .

last tank of gas in the '09 4 door YARIS with 4 speed auto got 38.1 miles per gallon . Still less than 3,500 miles on it .

Last edited:
I was averaging 44 on the tank I put in last week. Then I spent a bit of time hitting my favorite curves this weekend and dropped down to 34...
grin2.gif

But point is it's there when I need it with no extraordinary hypermiling techniques required. Just easy on the go pedal and keep the freeway speeds at the speed limit or a mile or two under.

I've read where owners of the new INSIGHT are only getting in low to mid 40 range . Seems like something is amiss . We see PRIUSes going 75+ m.p.h. on the interstate ( seen one that passed us in our YARIS going 80+ m.p.h. get pulled over by state boys ) :- ) . Kinda defeats the purpose . Then they wonder why they're only getting 46 m.p.g. . Gotta be the drivers , not the car . NO ? ;- )

Last edited:
here's the kicker . You get a discount from insurance companies for the PRIUS because you're believed to be a more responsible driver . Not in the real world . :- )

Actually, the Yaris was the same for me (under 25).

Monthly premium for a Fit: $390'ish.

Monthly premium for my Yaris: $208. Getting it renewed this year for the same price, but now with zero deductible and accident forgiveness.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
I've read where owners of the new INSIGHT are only getting in low to mid 40 range . Seems like something is amiss . We see PRIUSes going 75+ m.p.h. on the interstate ( seen one that passed us in our YARIS going 80+ m.p.h. get pulled over by state boys ) :- ) . Kinda defeats the purpose . Then they wonder why they're only getting 46 m.p.g. . Gotta be the drivers , not the car . NO ? ;- )

Smokey:

I've gotta disagree with the logic here. Driving at a higher speed does not, IMO, defeat the purpose of having a hybrid at all. As with any car, the fuel economy does decrease, in general, with increasing speed. But the mpg advantage does not suddenly instantly evaporate the moment you get above 70 mph. Sure, you lose mpgs as speed increases, but you still do better than comparable conventionals at any given speed.

I'll probably put ~150 miles on the Camry Hybrid today, much of it on I-10 doing ~80 mph. I will get fewer miles per gallon than I would if I drove at 65 mpg, but I'll still be doing better than any other 3700 lb car out there. All a matter of choice. If I had more free time today, I'd probably slow down some. And I won't be blaming the car for losing the couple of mpgs I'll be trading for the speed.
cheers3.gif

. . . We see PRIUSes going 75+ m.p.h. on the interstate ( seen one that passed us in our YARIS going 80+ m.p.h. get pulled over by state boys ) :- ) . . . .

I will admit that I have a Valentine One installed in the Camry. In fact, its display sits right next to my Scan Gauge II in the instrument cluster. Some folks perceive irony in this.
wink.gif

On the fuel economy thing, I'm surprised at the Fit's EPA ratings. Yes, yes, I know they're for comparison purposes only and so on, but look at those figures. The garden variety Civic Sedan with a 5-spd manual, weighing about 2700 lbs, is good for 26/34/29 (city/hwy/comb) per the EPA. By contrast, the Fit, tipping the scales at 2500 lbs, is good for only 27/33/29???? What's up with that. It sounds like many Fit drivers in the real world are beating the numbers, but still. Assuming the EPA methodology is the same for both Civic and Fit, if they're driven the same in the real world, I'd expect the results, whatever they are, to be similar.

So, any thoughts as to why the Fit SEEMS to offer little, if any, FE benefit as compared to the Civic?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

So, any thoughts as to why the Fit SEEMS to offer little, if any, FE benefit as compared to the Civic?

The trailing wake of a Fit is probably a bit bigger than the Civic, also a small difference in the top gear ratio can make a difference like that. I imagine a Civic has more torque/weight and also more torque/aero drag than a Fit and can have a slightly taller top gear.
The top gear ratio is also why you seem some automatic cars getting better mileage than the manual transmission version.
Of course its a bit easier for the person with the manual trans to beat the EPA numbers.

On the fuel economy thing, I'm surprised at the Fit's EPA ratings. Yes, yes, I know they're for comparison purposes only and so on, but look at those figures. The garden variety Civic Sedan with a 5-spd manual, weighing about 2700 lbs, is good for 26/34/29 (city/hwy/comb) per the EPA. By contrast, the Fit, tipping the scales at 2500 lbs, is good for only 27/33/29???? What's up with that. It sounds like many Fit drivers in the real world are beating the numbers, but still. Assuming the EPA methodology is the same for both Civic and Fit, if they're driven the same in the real world, I'd expect the results, whatever they are, to be similar.

I'm sure that I could make the Fit reach it's EPA combined of 30 if I did more in town driving. I dunno. I will say this, they made 1st gear incredibly quick to perhaps compensate for the tiny engine. When I start of in first at an intersection where I am turning, I find myself frantically reaching for the paddle shifter to upshift given how quickly things wind up. I guess, really, it seems the same story for 1st thru 3rd. I like to keep mine in auto mode and just use the paddles for quicker upshifts. I go through a rather quick tempo shifting from 1st through 4th. But then it seems to take much longer with the same throttle application to go from 4th to 5th. What puzzles me is how the manual can get fairly similar highway numbers yet it tachs about a thousand rpms higher than the auto at 70 from what I hear.

EK, regarding speeding in a Camry hybrid, tha's something I have wondered about-ie the highway benefit of a hybrid drivetrain in an otherwise conventional sedan. Is there THAT much benefit over say a 4 cyl Camry at those speeds?

. . . We see PRIUSes going 75+ m.p.h. on the interstate ( seen one that passed us in our YARIS going 80+ m.p.h. get pulled over by state boys ) :- ) . . . .

I will admit that I have a Valentine One installed in the Camry. In fact, its display sits right next to my Scan Gauge II in the instrument cluster. Some folks perceive irony in this.
wink.gif

I would have never THOUGHT I would have moved my Bell v955 over to my Fit, but since I started working across the border in Texas, I've been stopped twice already. Once for 78 in a 70 on I-20 (where everyone else was doing 80) and once for VERY slowly rolling through a stop sign. Got off with a warning for the first but $200 for the second...

(ekpolk is going to kill me)

Hybrids are fine unless you live in areas with mountain passes and drive more than a few miles at a time.

I make a trip to St George too many times a year and have made the trip in many vehicles.

One of my co-workers has a Prius and it is NOT a good vehicle for around here on that trip. Underpowered and too heavy. The batteries can not help it @ 8,000 ft when you have been climbing grades.

My Corolla gets 10+ MPG better on the trip over his Prius.

Is this normal use? NO but it something for people who live in the higher elevations (the gas engines here loose a lot of power when your starting at 4,500 ft in the valley)

I've been trying to take one of our new Highlander Hybrids for the trip but so far no luck.

A FIT would get better MPG over any Hybrid on trips through the mountains IMO.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back