First time seeing these at my local Walmart. Hope they keep em stocked!

I have been running ESP in my Corvette since it’s second oil change in early 2018, actually back then it was called ESP Formula and then eventually they dropped the Formula out of the name. What initially attracted me to it was that it’s HTHS is 3.5, compared to 3.1 for regular M1 5w30, as well as a lot of other 5w30s (possibly including PUP 5w30 too). I also loved the lower SA level and back then there was also some evidence that the NOACK was really low, under 6%. But also, just looking at the certifications that ESP 5w30 has, proves that this is a special oil that sets it apart from the rest. I don’t plan on using any other oil in my Corvette unless they stop making it.
That right there is what drives me to order oil. Everytime we seem to have a good stock of stuff like the ESP or some other good ones in the local stores you can wait for one of two things. The store stops stocking what you want to use or the oil companies keep re-formulating or rebranding. I know most of that is just under the advertisment umbrella but it gets old having to keep looking into "did they mess up the formulas we like or is this just a repackage to make it grab more customers attention? My locals stores act like they can barely keep Pennzoil in stock or cant get it or dont care to for some reason. Main brands on our shelves are M1 / Castrol / Valvoline / RP some Shell and of course SuperTechs.

Here is a good Walmart puzzle someone may have an answer for. There have been several times I can not find products in Walmart (oil included) so I go the website and order. Here is my puzzle. If they do not have my products on say Wed. How on earth and where does it come from so fast that I get notified to pick it up at same store the very next day, Thur!? It almost feels like it is in that building just not stocked on the shelves where it used to be. I know there are many more strange Walmart puzzles others have run across as well. Too big a company or what?

Last edited:
Here is a good Walmart puzzle someone may have an answer for. There have been several times I can not find products in Walmart (oil included) so I go the website and order. Here is my puzzle. If they do not have my products on say Wed. How on earth and where does it come from so fast that I get notified to pick it up at same store the very next day, Thur!? It almost feels like it is in that building just not stocked on the shelves where it used to be. I know there are many more strange Walmart puzzles others have run across as well. Too big a company or what?
Former Associate here. Some insight into the absolute cluster-beep- that is Walmart Inventory Management.

Inventory in Wal Mart stores is primarily governed by a computer tucked away deep inside the cash office somewhere. It relies on tracking how much of an item is shipped in VS how much is SCANNED out at the point of sale. There is a given level of stock for each item in the store that is to be maintained and replenishments are ordered by the computer when the amount of stock scanned out reaches a certain threshhold relative to the stock received. This is all set remotely by the home office in Bentonville, too, store maganement has little if any control over inventory.

SCANNED out. That's key. Items can leave the store one of two ways and NOT be scanned out. One is obvious: Shoplifting. Probably not a frequent problem with motor oil, but hey, people will steal daggum near anything these days you never know. The other, and more likely, scenario relavent to this forum: Improper claims procedure.

Every item damaged in a walmart has to be 'claimed out' by an Associate to update the system appropriately. If this is not done correctly, it has the same effect as if someone just simply shoplifts that item. The store's inventory management system shows, say, 12 pieces came in, 10 pieces scanned out, assumes there are still 2 pieces on the shelf, and since motor oil isn't exactly a high turnover product it does not re-order.

It is, in theory, possible to override this. Department managers on their 'tel-xon' are able to scan a shelf tag(You look at the price tag close enough you'll see a barcode for that item on it; this is what they're scanning) and can override it. THIS SELDOM WORKS! The inventory management system is notoriously bad about overriding the overrides. I worked over on the grocery side as an overnight stocker and then 2nd shift meat department stocker, so I sometimes got given permission to do this on problematic items, which....let's just say it can take MONTHS for an override to actually result in product showing up.

Now, when you order a product on the website and select ship-to-store, you sidestep EVERY BIT OF THAT. Your online order is checking against WAREHOUSE stock, which is a hell of a lot more reliably tracked, and completely ignores local store stock. A truck(or two, three, whatever, depending on order volume) is dispatched from the nearest warehouse in the evening containing such orders. That truck is scanned in, unloaded, and voila: Your ordered item is there the next day.

Former Associate here. Some insight into the absolute cluster-beep- that is Walmart Inventory Management.

Inventory in Wal Mart stores is primarily governed by a computer tucked away deep inside the cash office somewhere. It relies on tracking how much of an item is shipped in VS how much is SCANNED out at the point of sale. There is a given level of stock for each item in the store that is to be maintained and replenishments are ordered by the computer when the amount of stock scanned out reaches a certain threshhold relative to the stock received. This is all set remotely by the home office in Bentonville, too, store maganement has little if any control over inventory.

SCANNED out. That's key. Items can leave the store one of two ways and NOT be scanned out. One is obvious: Shoplifting. Probably not a frequent problem with motor oil, but hey, people will steal daggum near anything these days you never know. The other, and more likely, scenario relavent to this forum: Improper claims procedure.

Every item damaged in a walmart has to be 'claimed out' by an Associate to update the system appropriately. If this is not done correctly, it has the same effect as if someone just simply shoplifts that item. The store's inventory management system shows, say, 12 pieces came in, 10 pieces scanned out, assumes there are still 2 pieces on the shelf, and since motor oil isn't exactly a high turnover product it does not re-order.

It is, in theory, possible to override this. Department managers on their 'tel-xon' are able to scan a shelf tag(You look at the price tag close enough you'll see a barcode for that item on it; this is what they're scanning) and can override it. THIS SELDOM WORKS! The inventory management system is notoriously bad about overriding the overrides. I worked over on the grocery side as an overnight stocker and then 2nd shift meat department stocker, so I sometimes got given permission to do this on problematic items, which....let's just say it can take MONTHS for an override to actually result in product showing up.

Now, when you order a product on the website and select ship-to-store, you sidestep EVERY BIT OF THAT. Your online order is checking against WAREHOUSE stock, which is a hell of a lot more reliably tracked, and completely ignores local store stock. A truck(or two, three, whatever, depending on order volume) is dispatched from the nearest warehouse in the evening containing such orders. That truck is scanned in, unloaded, and voila: Your ordered item is there the next day.
Thanks for the info. I could tell you some of the wild things I have seen in our local Walmarts but I am certain they would not even surprise you. :eek: I liked your first sentence (happy for you) as I know a few folks who are the same .... former associates and wow do they have some stories.

I have been running ESP in my Corvette since it’s second oil change in early 2018, actually back then it was called ESP Formula and then eventually they dropped the Formula out of the name. What initially attracted me to it was that it’s HTHS is 3.5, compared to 3.1 for regular M1 5w30, as well as a lot of other 5w30s (possibly including PUP 5w30 too). I also loved the lower SA level and back then there was also some evidence that the NOACK was really low, under 6%. But also, just looking at the certifications that ESP 5w30 has, proves that this is a special oil that sets it apart from the rest. I don’t plan on using any other oil in my Corvette unless they stop making it.
Does the 0W-30 have all the same approvals?

I notice PUP is hard to keep on shelves at most Walmarts. Do not know if it sells that fast or they simply have supply issues?
I dunno, but with that M1 ESP 0W-30 that cheap, I may just run that in the Odyssey during the summer! I like the 3.5 HTHS for hot weather.

I just changed the oil for the first time with PPPP 5W-30 because there was a $25 rebate. But with the ESP being only $3 more per jug…

I dunno, but with that M1 ESP 0W-30 that cheap, I may just run that in the Odyssey during the summer! I like the 3.5 HTHS for hot weather.

I just changed the oil for the first time with PPPP 5W-30 because there was a $25 rebate. But with the ESP being only $3 more per jug…
You cant do any better (off the shelf) in my opinion than the M1ESP 0w30 oil you plan to use. I always felt the oci is one of the most important things one can do. Paying attention to the oil during the oci and keeping up with changing it and filter as recommended.

My guess is we all need to watch online only deals on oil at Walmart. About a week ago it was late in the day but did a quick web search of several sites and I saw a couple of Castrol Edge grades for only $12.99 per 5 gallon jug at Wally World online only. I only had hours before the deal was gone. Bought 2 containers of 0-40 Edge for less than I could get just the one locally. I now have 8 jugs of oil stocked up at home for our cars and SUV.

Disregard my prior post about my Castrol Edge order. Just got an e-mail and text from Wally after the order never showed today. It never shipped and the tracking never worked. The mail service didn't ever get my order over a week ago and I was just sent a refund. Mind you they had my card charged for a week or two. I guess they over sold what was actually in stock. Not good considering this was my first time buying from them on the web. Never again.

Disregard my prior post about my Castrol Edge order. Just got an e-mail and text from Wally after the order never showed today. It never shipped and the tracking never worked. The mail service didn't ever get my order over a week ago and I was just sent a refund. Mind you they had my card charged for a week or two. I guess they over sold what was actually in stock. Not good considering this was my first time buying from them on the web. Never again.
That’s the problem with those deals. A few folks cash in and then it ends. Guess you have to be quick on the trigger.

Best deal I was ever able to get was that Auto Zone clearance sale back in 2019 or so. Loaded up on about 60 qts of Valvoline Modern Engine and M1 Annual Protection for $2/qt.

NEVER any ultra platinum in any local wallys near shamokin PA!!!
I have used Pennsoil in the past but I keep running into the same issue with certain grades of Castrol products which is why I'd ordered the 0w40 that I never received. I even have an issue when searching for 5w40. Its getting pretty insane.

Back