First Time Hyundai Owner - Coolant Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be a mistake... I would check your owner's manual first. Take it from someone who knows; being cheap just to save a few bucks can end up costing you more than you bargained for. Just a word of caution.

Weirdly enough, factory fill is blue yet the OEM option is the green Pentosin A2.
Verified this with my dealer, then bought it from AAP and changed at a local shop
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pentosin-pentofrost-a2-8115205/10691288-P

AAP has code for 20% off usually right above your page (the code that I see now is H95). If you register an account with them, add it to your cart and leave for a day or two - you'll get a 25% off coupon in your email.

So $22 for concentrate + $1 distilled water - still less then buying 2 Zerex and is OEM fit

Screenshot 2019-08-23 21.56.44.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679

This appears to be similar to Pentosin A2. Since I still have no idea how long Pentosin A2's service life is

Pentosin is an extended life type coolant, good for your car specs - which is 10 years for my Kia and I'm sure for your Elantra as well, yet I change coolant every 3-4 years regardless.
My friend and trusted mechanic (who performed a change in my Kia) works for a dealer, he says they only use Pentosin as OEM fill on Kia/Hyundai

P.S. Just checked here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenance-schedule/index.aspx
Coolant change every 10 years or 60000 miles whatever comes first

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
AAP has code for 20% off usually right above your page (the code that I see now is H95). If you register an account with them, add it to your cart and leave for a day or two - you'll get a 25% off coupon in your email.
Or you can literally take 5 seconds and Google "advance auto promo codes" for instant 25% gratification.

Oh how I miss the days of 40% codes...
frown.gif

Not fussy about the coolant. Owner's manual says "ethylene glycol base" and Prestone Extended seems just fine. I'm planning well over 200k on the Sonata and I really doubt the coolant will be what ends things. So far, the current fill has been through a -25F week and a stop and go commute at 101F, and it's still green.
shocked2.gif

Or you can literally take 5 seconds and Google "advance auto promo codes" for instant 25% gratification.

frown.gif

True that
smile.gif

Let us know what you'll decide to use for your change!

Last edited:

frown.gif

True that
smile.gif

Let us know what you'll decide to use for your change!

What?!?
shocked2.gif
I never posted what I did!
spankme2.gif

I ended up power flushing the system (perks of having an old school radiator shop owner in the family) and going with Pentosin A2 (scored at AZ shortly after creating this thread for $10!). Looked up the total capacity, added the A2 for 1/2 of that number then added distilled for the rest (ensuring 50/50). Works great so far. The power flush was unnecessary though, it wasn't dirty at all. Oh well, cheap (free) insurance.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sounds good tony1679, it won't hurt for sure and makes you feel better so totally worth it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back