First time gas power washer owner....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never owned a pressure washer before. Between Dad and I, we could use one.

Neighbor has an electric one, he warned me to not bother with an electric one. My Dad is a retired electrician, and I can tell you that he gets a chill up his spine when water and electricity are that close together.

So... it'll be a gas powered one. The biggest project that this will see is washing my one story house.

I can get this one right now for $199. It has a Briggs vertical shaft (push mower) engine on it. It is rated at 2200 psi, and 1.9 GPM.

http://www.brutepower.com/pressure-washers/2200-psi-pressure-washer-20553/

If I knew I'd be using one quite a bit, then I'd be looking at one with a Honda engine on it. But I'm looking at something that will be used 10 times a year at the most.

Its not the engine that will not last, its the pump. A $199 washer may not last more than a season especially if its shared. Look for a pump made by cat, AR, comet.

how long you decide to keep it?

(*if it's quite long, consider a brass pump instead. These low-end pump (alu bore mostly) will go bad in just a few year's time, and you'll ended up replacing the pump even though your engine is still in good condition).

Get one with a Comet brass pump assembly. Engine type or brand doesn't really matter in this case.

*you get what you pay for, period*

Q.

my BE washer (Honda GC135 with comet pump) is now into it's 16th year of service. Every summer gets used 6~10 times or more, and also a loaner to my friends/relatives and parents.
Still good as new.

HondaGX with a Cat pump last you a long time if taken care of properly. lot of junk out in the the power washer world.

I agree somewhat however my "cheapo wont last a year"

troybuilt 2800psi/2.3gpm is now on year 8.

it does get pump saver before storage of more than 30days.

powerwashers with good pumps start 600$+

which is abit steep for something you use a few times a year..
although it is a good investment in the long run.

I've read that a vertical shaft driven power washer is not as efficent or long lasting as vertical shaft (not sure how true this is, but worth consideration). I agree, buy the best pump you can in your budget and use pump saver every-time.

In my opinion, I would consider that 2200PSI w/ 1.9gpm is a little weak for washing a house. I would look for something closer to 3K and 2-3gpm. You can always back down the pressure or use a wider tip, but you can't add more pressure...

Last edited:
I'd recommend something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-2700-...#specifications

A pressure washer is basically a cart, engine, pump, hose and lance. You can always keep the cart and replace parts on a horizontal engine unit pretty easily. When the OE pump gives out an upgrade Cat or General pump will bolt right on. If the engine bites it them off to Harbor Freight for a Chonda. Twenty feet of hose is a little short so you can add an extension when you feel like it. Get a flat surface washer as a gift to yourself for the driveway. Pretty soon you'll have a Frakenwasher like me.

Plan ahead by shopping for the replacement parts before you buy the unit.

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
I've read that a vertical shaft driven power washer is not as efficent or long lasting as vertical shaft

So should I buy a vertical shaft or vertical shaft pressure washer??

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
I've read that a vertical shaft driven power washer is not as efficent or long lasting as vertical shaft

So should I buy a vertical shaft or vertical shaft pressure washer??

http://www.pressurewashercritics.com/gas-pressure-washer-buying-guide/
They dont explain the logic behind this, but they said its true...

Vertical Vs Horizontal Shaft

The engine shaft direction also matters. Vertical shafts are cheaper and usually last a shorter duration. On the other hand Horizontal shafts are expensive but very reliable. If you plan on keeping the pressure washer for more than three years opt for a Horizontal shaft washer.

I think the main problem is that no one makes a really high quality/high volume vertical pump, hence no one is putting industrial grade vertical shaft engines (of which there are few of in the lower HP ranges). I can see where a horizontal pump would be easier to keep lubed properly.

My Crafsman verticle shaft washer is now 3 years old and works great. I use M1 10-30 in the engine, and after every use I inject water pump lube through the pump. I get it at sears.

Last edited:
I have a sears brigs and straying 6.75hp 2,800psi washer.

The pump went out after four yrs. I just got the back ordered pump early this month. It was ordered mid June.

The pump is not a CAT or comet which is ideal but when you do not need that kind of quality or $$$ you can get a simple one.

We have had ours since '11. Just be sure to use the pump antifreeze when in storage and change the oil after 25hrs or every season. You should be fine.

I work on a ton of pressure washers down here. The vertical pumps are ABSOLUTE throwaway garbage. They all are. When (not if) your pump goes out, there really isn't a good quality pump to replace it with. Definitely look at a horizontal pump. Most of the cheaper ones will have a decent-ish pump that will last at least 5 times as long as a vertical pump. If the pump dies, you can replace it with a Cat, General, AR, or Comet pump usually for less than $200. Most cheaper units will be powered by a Honda GX200 clone. If the Horizontal engine is 196cc to 212cc, it is most likely a Honda clone, which is good. They run great and parts are stupid cheap when something goes wrong.

The Harbor Freight unit is decent for the price. Use the 20% or 25% coupons to get the price down to $260-280.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-psi-3-gpm-65-hp-212cc-pressure-washer-69734.html

We have an electric power washer, the electrocution fears are non-existent with modern GFCI protection and such. I will say that it is only good for washing the car, other than that it does not have enough power for heavy cleaning. For those tasks I grab one from work, all are horizontal engine/pump in the 3-3.5kpsi range and more than enough power to take anything off of anything else.

We have an electric power washer, the electrocution fears are non-existent with modern GFCI protection and such. I will say that it is only good for washing the car, other than that it does not have enough power for heavy cleaning. For those tasks I grab one from work, all are horizontal engine/pump in the 3-3.5kpsi range and more than enough power to take anything off of anything else.

My FIL gave me an old Briggs and Stratton branded pressure washer. When I got it, the guy who had borrowed it let the pump freeze. Of sentimental value to him, my FIL had a new AR pump installed. When the briggs became too temperamental, I swapped it out with a harbor freight $99 engine. Love it. The hose and wand are both shot and due to be replaced next season.

Question: I can't tell the pump ratings - GPM/PSI. This is a direct drive unit on a ~200cc engine, was previously a briggs flathead - 5hp I'm guessing? Any ideas?

Many people do a lot of damage with pressure washers. The high pressure can open up the grain in wood. For many people a hose & sprayer is all that is needed.

For metal and concrete a pressure is great, for wood, it's a maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back