First oil filter you bought?

Fram when they just barely still had the window in the box. I can remember the grip coming out and making it way easier to change the filters. Also Valvoline by the case. All from Walmart.

It's kinda wild the OP asked the question....being it's so specific...and so long ago.
But I do remember, due to circumstances.

Oil and filter from Sears Roebuck for my Dad's '66 Oldsmobile 98 LS. (425/T450)

I heard the engine ticking on a drive and mentioned it. The oil was low and Dad bought a quart (2, maybe?) on the highway.
I was wallowing in the glory of accurately diagnosing a problem whilst driving.
An older pal told me the low oil was probably nasty and should be changed, even with the corrected volume.
He was a BITOGer ahead of the times.
He showed me what to do.....no videos back then.

Good morning folks. I remember I was 15 and I bought a wix filter for my Pontiac sunbird. Bought dad a wix for his 92’ Dakota too. At a small mom and pop auto parts store. Do you remember the first oil filter you bought?
So why the change in your story?

I first bought a WIX for my 88’ Cutlass Ciera “iron duke” 4cylinder. What was the first oil filter you ever bought?

happy Saturday BITOGERS 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻☮️🤟🏻

Been so long can't remember the very first. But, back then could have been a K Mart/(Motorvator) labeled filter, a Lee filter, perhaps (perhaps) an orange can. More likely one of first two.

Would have been a Fram at Target in the 80’s. Back then Target had an auto service center. They also sold guns. Horrors! 😱
Had no clue target had auto service, thats wild! Around here (WNY), target was a relatively newer retailer in the late 90s early 2000s so none ever had any auto service.

Thinking back to my first and titled/registered car -- a 94 Buick LeSabre...I know I used to run GTX 10W-40. It had to of either been a Fram Extraguard PH3387A or a Purolator white can. I don't know if I was "afraid" of Fram back then. So I thad to of been one of the two. I know I used to buy everything at Walmart.

If 20 years ago Walmart used to sell Purolator, then I probably did run a Purolator.

I remember being in college and reading through forums trying to understand if I should run synthetic or Mobil 1 and thinking it was this big special important elixir.

It's kinda wild the OP asked the question....being it's so specific...and so long ago.
But I do remember, due to circumstances.

Oil and filter from Sears Roebuck for my Dad's '66 Oldsmobile 98 LS. (425/T450)

I heard the engine ticking on a drive and mentioned it. The oil was low and Dad bought a quart (2, maybe?) on the highway.
I was wallowing in the glory of accurately diagnosing a problem whilst driving.
An older pal told me the low oil was probably nasty and should be changed, even with the corrected volume.
He was a BITOGer ahead of the times.
He showed me what to do.....no videos back then.
"wallowing in the glory of accurately diagnosing a problem" pretty much sums it up for most of us.

Woolco stores. Theres one I forgot about,
The closest one here closed c. 30 years ago, and Walmart took the space. Walmart was new to Canada at the time.

They outgrew the old Woolco space, and built a standalone Supercenter not far away.

The old Woolco/Walmart space was renovated and has been a Canadian Tire for a few years now.

I don't want to highjack a thread but....is Canadian Tire a good, honourable chain...or just another shoddy chain staffed by social rejects?
CT is highly variable - the name is a bit misleading, as tires don't make up the majority of their business.

They try to do it all - tires and general auto repair, auto parts including oil, coolant, filters, etc., consumer goods, low-end bicycles, sporting goods, seasonal garden centre, plumbing, electrical, tools, lawn and garden supplies, seasonal decorations (Halloween and Christmas) and do some things well. With Sears Canada going under, I have bought tools from CT in recent years.

Motomaster auto parts were CT's house brand, and were precisely engineered to fail within a week or so of the 90-day warranty expiring. The parts have a better reputation now, but I don't tend to buy there. There are much better choices locally, and of course there's always Rock Auto.

Service and the quality of goods at CT improved dramatically after Walmart opened up c. 1994.

Back