First Oil Filter Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee is a name that you just stopped seeing, but I remember a lot of people using them. Made by Champ, IIRC.

Looks like someone has one for a dollar on Ebay.

The year was 1974. WIX was the brand -- 51302 cartridge oil filter for my late father's 1964 IH 424 Diesel tractor, as well as a WIX 33254 spin-on fuel filter. NO air filter, you changed the oil in the oil bath!

J

Last edited:
Motorcraft, 1978. 5 quarts of Valvoline also, for my Mercury (as I cringe) Bobcat. Was a good car though for cheap transportation back and forth to high school. My friends all had Ford products back then.. A Torino, a Marquis, a Mustang II and my Bobcat.

Quote:
For my newly purchased 1972 Mustang in 1974 it was a Lee oil filter. I continued to purchase Lee and STP oil filters at Sears

Wow!! Exactly what I did with my '73 Mach 1.

Paid $3,200 OTD for that car... 'Course, I was making $2.40/hr at the time, too...

Wonder whatever happened to Lee filters?
54.gif

Quote:

Mine would probably be a Quaker State, back when that was K-Mart's house brand and was made by Fram. Later they got "K-Mart" branded filters that were made by Champion. They were all white with the K-Mart logo.

I remember the K-Mart filters. My brother and I used to get them for our Small Block Chevys back in the day. I think AC Delcos were white at the time too.

Autowize...I think it was a private-label house-brand for a small local chain of stores called Estes Auto Supply. Back in the mid '70's they had half a dozen stores in eastern MA, including one only a short distance from my house.

Fram orange can, 1994..for a 1985 Isuzu I mark hatchback. Bought it at then, my local Woolworths store. I sill have it too! Out in the gargage, in its original box and still have the recipet..It was January 17, 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back