First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

You changed your oil and got some wear in metals out, with the oil. Why do you think that changing the oil sooner would have eliminated this wear? The particles had to be small enough to get through the oil filter, so they didn't damage anything.

I do not think changing sooner would eliminate the wear. Most of that wear would probably occur in the first 500 to 1000 miles. I just think it would be good to eliminate those abrasive elements asap. I do not think there would be such an accumulation of them afterwards. I realize that due to better machining capabilites that engines don't require as much or any breakin time. That said the Blackstone did report that the amount of metals was well above normal for that engine.

Originally Posted By: borgward
I just think it would be good to eliminate those abrasive elements asap.

There's no telling if they were big enough to be abrasive. If they are small enough to pass through the oil filter, then they're likely harmless.

Quote:

That said the Blackstone did report that the amount of metals was well above normal for that engine.

It may have been above normal for an already broken-in engine after multiple oil changes, but very normal on a factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think you missed the joke.

This is a joking matter? I've driven everything from a Fiat 500 powered by a big Briggs and Stratton 1 cylinder motor via a pulley banged onto the transmission input shaft to a 4.9 liter Ferarri. The fiesta is a fun car to drive. It can't afford to buy anything that have the wow factor of a vintage 4.9

Oh, lighten up.
smile.gif
This would be a very dull place without an occasional joke here and there.

Say what? Trade in the car?

As someone who has gone all the way out to the manufacturer's recommended first oil change on my two new cars (the Toyotas) I don't think a trade in is necessary.

But that's just me, who knows. Maybe I will experience reduced longevity in those cars
smile.gif

I just got analysis from Blackstone on the first oil change on my 2013 Fiesta SE that I bought brand new last year.They report "silicon isn't the only thing
reading high; iron, aluminum, and copper are too. But that's nothing to be concerned about. Silicon is from
factory sealers and the metals are from new parts wearing in. Everything should drop steadily over the next
oil change or two until your engine looks more like average for this type of Ford engine. The TBN is good at
2.8. So far, looking good! Try 8K miles." I changed oil at 7200 miles. Mobile 1. I intended to change at 5000 miles. The irst change was scheduled to be at 10,000 miles. I am now thinking it would have been best to do the first change at 500 or 1000 miles as that is when the most metal would be in circulation due to break in.

Should I maybe trade it on another as they are the same great deal on a new one. I would really like to get at least 300,000 miles on the engine, but am concerned about the above average amount of metals indicated in the report.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think you missed the joke.

This is a joking matter? I've driven everything from a Fiat 500 powered by a big Briggs and Stratton 1 cylinder motor via a pulley banged onto the transmission input shaft to a 4.9 liter Ferarri. The fiesta is a fun car to drive. It can't afford to buy anything that have the wow factor of a vintage 4.9

Lol

You can probably go 200,000 miles like that. I would like to go to at least 300,000. My nephew has 450,000 on his Saturn. Uses Synthetic every 5000 miles. His cousin was on the design team for that engine. Said they usually don't last that long. I am thinking that any amount of grit that can be eliminated the better. An oil filter that would strain out smaller particles would probably be impractable.

His cousin was on the design team for that engine.

Did you ask him how many engineers it took to design an engine that consumes a quart of oil every 500 miles?
grin2.gif

You can probably go 200,000 miles like that. I would like to go to at least 300,000. My nephew has 450,000 on his Saturn. Uses Synthetic every 5000 miles. His cousin was on the design team for that engine. Said they usually don't last that long. I am thinking that any amount of grit that can be eliminated the better. An oil filter that would strain out smaller particles would probably be impractable.

What was found in the sample is not "Grit".....It is wear metals, of very very small size. Oil manufacturers actually use metals as additives, that are of similar size, though not the same metals.

If you are truly concerned about "Grit", cut open the oil filter. What you find there might be considered to be "Grit", and I bet there ain't much.

What was found in the sample is not "Grit".....It is wear metals, of very very small size. Oil manufacturers actually use metals as additives, that are of similar size, though not the same metals.

Thats what I call grit.

I wouldn't admit that out loud.
As far as filtration is concerned run the filter for 2 intervals. They get more efficient as the engine runs,which lowers particulate circulation vs a new filter.

Should I maybe trade it on another as they are the same great deal on a new one. I would really like to get at least 300,000 miles on the engine, but am concerned about the above average amount of metals indicated in the report.

Then, when you do a UOA on the new car you just traded it in on you'll see that ALL new cars shed break in metals. You paid for an ANALYSIS and they told you it was fine and then you are ignoring them. If you are going to be paranoid about a perfectly normal broing UOA on a new car then why pay the money for one? I just don't get it.

Thats what I call grit.

It is only grit above a certain particle size. By your definition, oil blenders are adding grit on purpose.

Nah, I think you could go longer than that. Just saying...

None of my vehicles consume more than a quart in the OCI BTW.

Then your description would be wrong.

Thats what I call grit.

It's like when you make pancakes, the first three are terrible and after that then you get normal pancakes.

If you are so worried, OCI every 500 miles with Mobil 5000 until you reach 2.5K miles and then choose your favorite synthetic.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I've never really come to appreciate the idea behind sticking the next owner with the problem you think the car has. Why not stick a note in the glove box explaining why you traded it.
smile.gif

I disagree.
If I'm selling my car (that has issues) privately then I have issues of conscience.
If I 'trade it in' then the dealer selling it is responsible.

GM doesn't seem too concerned that they sold me a new car with coolant odor/loss issues.
I spoke to an attorney before trading it in and was told that.."the issues are well documented on the internet and you would have no liability because of this"....

PS: I had changed the FF at 1500 miles in that Chevy....I ventured out to 2000 on my new Ford. I still believe in an early OC to rid the crankcase of wear-in debris even though millions of cars last 200K plus without an early oil change.

If
"you would have no liability because of this"
the who does have liability? The dealer or the next owner?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would just keep the car. Next uoa should be after the warranty

Save your money on the UOAs and use it to follow the OEMS OCIs for appropriate climate and driving conditions and regular servicing etc.

Engine oil is one of many factors in going 300000miles eg transmission, brake fluid etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back