First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first oil change with my 2009 Scion xB. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and Purolator PureONe oil filter. After a week, with synthetic oil, my engine runs smoother and quieter, better MPG (25.5 to 26.9 MPG), and I know I will get better protection in any climate.

Cool, what color is yours? 5 speed or Auto? Great car, great oil, great filter. I just did my 50K change on my 08 this weekend, Mobil Clean 5000 with an AAP Total Grip filter. (experimenting around) I've used 5W20 Castrol Syntec, 5W20 Mobil 1, 0W20 Mobil 1 AFE, and one OCI of Motorcraft 5W20. I went 10K on the Mobil 1 changes. I've used Pure One, Purolator Classic, Total Grip, and Mobil 1 filters. The MPG meter on mine is up to 28.7. Not bad for a total average. The 0W20 Mobil 1 AFE increase my MPG by 2 MPG. My dealership had bulk Pennzoil in the car when I bought it new, the service dept. said it was 5W20 when questioned, but they had a 5W30 decal on the window.

Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
Cool, what color is yours? 5 speed or Auto? Great car, great oil, great filter. I just did my 50K change on my 08 this weekend, Mobil Clean 5000 with an AAP Total Grip filter. (experimenting around) I've used 5W20 Castrol Syntec, 5W20 Mobil 1, 0W20 Mobil 1 AFE, and one OCI of Motorcraft 5W20. I went 10K on the Mobil 1 changes. I've used Pure One, Purolator Classic, Total Grip, and Mobil 1 filters. The MPG meter on mine is up to 28.7. Not bad for a total average. The 0W20 Mobil 1 AFE increase my MPG by 2 MPG. My dealership had bulk Pennzoil in the car when I bought it new, the service dept. said it was 5W20 when questioned, but they had a 5W30 decal on the window.

I have the Black Sand Pearl, and it's an automatic. Family car! LOL

PP is not a REAL Synthetic.Its a higher end dino oil.Its not a group 4/5 oil.Vehicle running smoother with more break end not the oil particularly. It would have gotten smoother if you hadn't changed the oil by that mileage.

I'm sure the PP is better than whatever the dealer put in there, real synthetic or not. Your engine feeling smoother is probably from having the 5W20 put in, which is what is spec'd for the 08-10 xB. It is a good possibility it had 5W30 in there, pretty sure my 08 did.

Don't be so sure its better then what the Factory put in.Could very well be as good or equal to.if its a 5w20 spec engine I bet it CAME with 5w20 spec oil from the factory.Due to many reasons CAFE and such if its a 5w20 thats whats in the lines at the plant.I have had someone go CHECK what the factory fill was in manual transmissions,differentials etc in the DRUMS and its was what was specified in the owners manual.ONCE I had that checked at a Nissan plant and the MANUAL called for 80w90 gear oil.After servicing manual trans with 80w90 hard shift cold.Factory fill no issue.The FACTORY IN JAPAN was using 75weight.Found out they had NO translation for 75wt or some such.I called our supplier and from then on USED 75wt on customers cars in for service.Complaints stopped.That was 20 plus years ago and a [censored] plant.Ones in the states it was always correct in the manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
I did my first oil change with my 2009 Scion xB. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and Purolator PureONe oil filter. After a week, with synthetic oil, my engine runs smoother and quieter, better MPG (25.5 to 26.9 MPG), and I know I will get better protection in any climate.

I read your post and first thing I thought was "Dang, they should have this guy make a commercial
for them." Second thing I thought was "yep, that PP sure seems to make alot of folks happy"

As you can read that is not how I see it.I've dealt with thousands of thousands of vehicles and all get smoother as the miles add up to a certain point.Sure PP is a good oil but it did not make that engine run appreciatively smoother.You could have said that after any correct oil was used after first change.

I am sure the PP is better than bulk Pennzoil! Some dealers don't take pride in such things as using the exact spec'd weights and some do. Sounds like you did do things right. I don't think dealer did and it's possible his didn't. I debated on removing my factory fill early and replacing with some good conventional, but I waited till it was time to change. I felt much better with having Mobil 1 in there.

Took over a year to get the CORRECT answer from the Nissan folks.Finally got a good ole USA fellow that changed gear oil in his Pathfinder and encountered hard shift cold(55 degrees or below) and went digging through the plant in Japan and BAM straight 75weight gear oil.NOT 80w90.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back