First oil change using Mityvac

I just bought a Jaguar F Type R and it is designed to have the oil extracted from the top. It has a canister filter on the top of the engine as well. A Mityvac is in my future. I don't have a shop compressor so the manual pump model will work I'm sure. I also have a Mazda CX 5 but the dipstick hole is tiny, barely larger than the width of the dipstick blade so that car is likely not compatible. But it is easy enough to pull up on ramps, remove a small access panel on the main underbody panel and then pull the plug and filter.

It seems that more and more cars are being designed for top extraction these days. That is OK with me although the initial cost of something like a Mityvac ( ~ $90) is somewhat high. But then again, look at how gleeful many of us are when buying any new tools or gizmos for our garages or workshops.

Hmmmm. I wonder if any bmw owners also extract oil from the dipstick...
I use my Schwaben fluid extractor on both GLK250 and the X3d. While the oil is being vacuumed out, I have time to change the filter.
It's a clean and painless service, probably takes all of 30 min with the oil being near operating temp.
I haven't done bottom-side drains in at least 8 years, no issues in any of my vehicles to date.

As long as you’ve got a dipstick or dipstick tube, it’ll work.
Not necessarily, a tube wouldn't reach the bottom of my V6 pan in my 2014 E350, would only get about 3 quarts of the seven capacity.
On my 2018 E300, no issue at all. I tried it just to remove a couple quarts for my "Covid oil change" (under 1000 miles in a year).

DwightFrye said:
That is OK with me although the initial cost of something like a Mityvac ( ~ $90) is somewhat high. But then again, look at how gleeful many of us are when buying any new tools or gizmos for our garages or workshops.

The 6.5L Schwaben extractor is currently $63 and worth it even at full price of $90. Once you go top-side, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I'm thinking of getting a mityvac. How will I know if it works with my car?

Just had a response to a related question from MityVac. The smallest extraction tube they offer is 6mm OD, which means it likely won’t fit my NC Mazda MX5. They were honest about it so why not go to their website and contact them with your vehicle specifics?

The 6.5L Schwaben extractor is currently $63 and worth it even at full price of $90. Once you go top-side, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
It looks like the Schwaben is a 1 way extractor. The MityVac expels the fluid right into your recycle container. It also has a little more capacity, I believe.

I 100% agree; top-side extraction is fast, clean and easy.

Back