First oil change. Interesting findings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Either M1 0W-20 is a superior oil to TGMO, so the dealer is really doing their customers a favor in using it.
Take a look at what you rightly refer to as many threads and you'll see this.
TGMO is strictly Grp III while both M1 AFE and M1 EP have significant PAO content.
This is evident in the relative cold performance as measured for these three oils, as well as in SDS sheets for the three.

I must be missing something. I could not find any threads supporting your contention. Could you please post a link for me?
I thought the TGMO was superior secondary to exceptional VI, high moly content and better flow (for lack of the proper term) at real world low temperatures.

The Early oil change was good choice, I changed my trucks at 1400 miles from new and again at like 7ish and im running 6k's at moment during warranty that puts me down to about 20% OLM. You Got her off to good start.

Last edited:
There was a thread on this recently and there have been many before.
Use the search function.
At low temperatures, either M1 0W-20 is superior to TGMO.
TGMO is nothing special.
You can take my word for it or you can search for yourself.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
There was a thread on this recently and there have been many before.
Use the search function.
At low temperatures, either M1 0W-20 is superior to TGMO.
TGMO is nothing special.
You can take my word for it or you can search for yourself.

Did use the search function. Nothing popped. Not questioning you, just hope to get a link.

Try searching again.
I searched using "TGMO" in subject or body in the PCMO forum and got eight pages of posts including those from the recent thread that I referred to. It was started on 12/18/16.
I personally tried TGMO in our newer Accord for two OCIs. Based upon what I've learned here since, I wouldn't use this oil again.
Still, this oil has been highly touted and it was an itch that I wanted to scratch. I found the oil on CL and paid seller forty dollars for a real (12 qt) case. He was asking more, but I guess I made him an offer he couldn't refuse:)
The main proponent of TGMO here is a Canadian who hasn't posted anything in a few months.

Awesome car and kudos for the early oil change.

I changed the oil at maybe 1,600 miles on the Prius and I had to wear sunglasses from all the sparkling glitter which came out in the factory fill.

The Honda and Toyota drain plugs aren't magnetic? My GMs are and the magnet really works well in these new vehicle instances.

One time (2005) with my 1999 Chevy S-10 pickup with the 4.3 engine, I put it thin 5W-20 Quaker State Synthetic at about 50K on the odometer. It was summer and I took a long trip inside the mountains of upper New York area. At 5K I drained the oil and the magnet had a circular half-inch gathering of metal.

I never bought Quaker State synthetic oil ever-again. It was the only oil change where that ever occurred and I am first & last owner of all my vehicles. Normally, that oil pan bolt-magnet was always clean when changing the oil. I even tested 5W-20 again at about 80K. Did not gather metal around that magnet. Just the Quaker State did.

BTW.... I normally always used 5W-30 and the wife one day came home with 5W-20 instead. That's why I tried it in the S-10 pickup.

Last edited:
How much smarts does it take to get an oil plug started into the oil pan? If it won't start by hand, it isn't going to start. It' simple, just put the plug with a new washer up to the drain hole and turn clockwise. On my 04, it can be done blindfolded. One thing to remember is that after dark, the thread hand reverses,
grin.gif
so you turn the plug counter clockwise to tighten.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
One thing to remember is that after dark, the thread hand reverses,
grin.gif

Wrong!
Those Counter-clockwise tightening turns are always after 12 craft beers.
11.gif

The big black puddle right next to the drain pan starts after 9-10 beers too.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
One thing to remember is that after dark, the thread hand reverses,
grin.gif

Wrong!
Those Counter-clockwise tightening turns are always after 12 craft beers.
11.gif

The big black puddle right next to the drain pan starts after 9-10 beers too.

After twelve strong beers, there would be no turns in either direction.
All one would need would be a BFH.
This is why one doesn't drink more than a beer or two when working on a car.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The Honda and Toyota drain plugs aren't magnetic? My GMs are and the magnet really works well in these new vehicle instances.

I dont think I would want a car where the magnetic drain plug works "really well"

smile.gif

Usually with todays oils a high VI index means lots of viscosity impovers which weaken the oils film strength under loads [if it matters in the application].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back