First major issue with 2014 Jetta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
At those miles it should be rock solid. Not a big deal to do the WP but why is that people on here are like "35,000, 45,000, 50,000 it is rock solid"
A car should be with those miles.

Ever done the water pump on an EA engine? It's not fun... it takes all of 4 hours and I promise the dealer tech stuck doing it is salty about it. They're a total pain.

I understand the labor, What I was trying to say was a bad WP isn't a big deal, but what I see on here is people saying the car has 30 to 60,000 miles on it and it has been rock solid.

I would expect that from just about any car sold in the US. If a car with that few miles has not been "rock solid" it is time to move on.

Personally I don't see an early water pump change out while at dealership/warranty and no effect to your driving as major. Just an early fail of part.

To me major is fail of transmission or required invasive engine work or replacement.

I have personally never changed out a water pump(preemptyively) on any vehicle and run into 200k range. Even during timing belt changes on previous Honda's and Subaru's.

That’s what warranty’s are for. At 20K my power steering pump leaked and was replaced under warranty back when I had my 2002 Toyota Tacoma. Things happen.

Way back in 1995 my 92 Accord has a water pump fail prematurely at around 30k miles. Dealer fixed it under warranty and did the timing belt too, since they were in there. Had the timing belt/water pump done again at around 135k as maintenance, and just did it yet again last year at 194k because the aftermarket pump started hemorrhaging coolant. I used all OEM parts the last time. Car has 201k miles now and overall has been very solid. Just did a 500 mile each way trip to WV last month and it ran great.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I noticed a small leak under my son's 2014 Toyota Corolla that is in my signature a month ago. I knew it was not oil and suspected it was the water pump. Took it to the dealership we bought it from and they confirmed it was in fact a leaking water pump. The car was already past the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty but it was only over by less than 1k miles. I explained this and the first thing they said was, "the computer shows you have not had an oil change in 15k miles." I calmly replied, "I have receipts for my oil changes and in addition, oil changes have nothing to do with a bad water pump". Service manager agreed with me and they covered it under the warranty. I also had them to go ahead and replace the belt while they were in there. I was pleased with the outcome of that one.

The concerning part about that story is, for 75% of customers, the "no oil change done here" response would work on them. They'd get a dejected look on their face and tell them to replace the water pump and pay for it.

If the dealer fixed the issue with no fuss, that would be a no problem for me. These things happen. At least OP is being honest and posts these things here, something that a lot of certain fanboys would never do in fear of damaging their idolized brand reputation.

I used the warranty on the 03 CTS for thermostat and water pump at like 32,000 miles.

The 02 Jetta TDI had a bunch of warranty stuff, but they never asked questions and as I recall it was a better warranty then what GM had at the time.
I got injectors, a Transmission, a front wheel bearing and a set glow plugs all under warranty. Was not my favorite car.

The only other one I can remember is when I destroyed the rear end in my 1998 Z28 at the track.
Came in on wrecker with the track number still on it.

I remember the service manager..."12.20 dial in? That is nice" "You broke the rear end?"
Me: Yes how much do you think it will cost.
Service manager: Cost? The thing is under warranty. Should be done in 3 days.

I even got a loaner.
smile.gif

Edit. I used it on the 2013 Equinox too. The steering wheel leather was messed up.

My Dodge Stratus 2.4 went in for a head gasket at like 28,000.

I don't think anything else. None of the LS cars but 98 Z28 with rear end. The trucks never had warranty.
Surprising to me was I never had to use it on the 2008 Equinox and I don't remember doing anything to that but brakes, tires and oil changes in the 160,000 miles we had it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Make sure they replace the WP with OEM, and you'll be g2g to 80K. j/k.

LOL

Originally Posted By: Delta
Hmm, so VW still can't get water pumps right. I do think this was an issue on earlier EA888's though, so we'll see how long mine last. At the current rate it'll be a while
lol.gif

Edit: dlundblad, VW has gone away with the belt and went to chains on these motors.

I bought my wife a brand new Suburban back in 1999. It was $30,000.00 back then. Before 36,000 miles I had the transmission, alternator and rear end fail.

It's home after 2 full days in the shop. They had the water pump replaced earlier today and called us to let us know it was ready for pick up. Later today we got a call saying it would need to stay there another day because the seal was leaking, they ended up finishing up the job later this afternoon and we picked it up this evening.

The only other one I can remember is when I destroyed the rear end in my 1998 Z28 at the track.

I remember the service manager..."12.20 dial in? That is nice" "You broke the rear end?"

That'll teach ya! Warning to all, run drag radials and hook up, you'll break something! Some cars never have an issue, but every time I see a stocker or a near stocker break a driveline part they usually have drag radials on.

Personally, I believe a "street" car should run normal street tires, makes for a more challenging run and gives a relatable time slip!

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: klt1986
I noticed a small leak under my son's 2014 Toyota Corolla that is in my signature a month ago. I knew it was not oil and suspected it was the water pump. Took it to the dealership we bought it from and they confirmed it was in fact a leaking water pump. The car was already past the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty but it was only over by less than 1k miles. I explained this and the first thing they said was, "the computer shows you have not had an oil change in 15k miles." I calmly replied, "I have receipts for my oil changes and in addition, oil changes have nothing to do with a bad water pump". Service manager agreed with me and they covered it under the warranty. I also had them to go ahead and replace the belt while they were in there. I was pleased with the outcome of that one.

The concerning part about that story is, for 75% of customers, the "no oil change done here" response would work on them. They'd get a dejected look on their face and tell them to replace the water pump and pay for it.

On my last trade in they tried to dock me $500 for no PM records … the unit had only 39k and told them nothing has been done but oil changes and air filter … DIY … Had the nerve to ask how can I prove oil changes? Showed him all my iPhone pictures (I snap the lube, filters, and odometer and the iPhone keeps the date) ... We were good … in fact they were impressed with synthetic use …(Planned to make mine a CPO) …
What I left laughing inside about was I had showed them 5W40 & 0W40 changes on a 5W30 spec engine … salesmen …

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That'll teach ya! Warning to all, run drag radials and hook up, you'll break something! Some cars never have an issue, but every time I see a stocker or a near stocker break a driveline part they usually have drag radials on.

Personally, I believe a "street" car should run normal street tires, makes for a more challenging run and gives a relatable time slip!

That was on Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs. Stock F-body rear ends suck. People broke the just driving around with the 6 speed cars

I understand the labor, What I was trying to say was a bad WP isn't a big deal, but what I see on here is people saying the car has 30 to 60,000 miles on it and it has been rock solid.

I would expect that from just about any car sold in the US. If a car with that few miles has not been "rock solid" it is time to move on.

To be fair, OP has a VW. That might be an accomplishment for them!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hopefully they use OE and the new pump lasts the next 125k+ or so.

Does VW recommend the WP and timing belt be changed together?

These EA motors have timing chains

1.4 has a belt it is said to be lifetime, but it is a belt........

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/we-sam...r-engine-series

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raaizin
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hopefully they use OE and the new pump lasts the next 125k+ or so.

Does VW recommend the WP and timing belt be changed together?

These EA motors have timing chains

1.4 has a belt it is said to be lifetime, but it is a belt........

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/we-sam...r-engine-series

Time will tell how they hold up. I would be tempted to change it at 100K.

We dropped of our 2014 Volkswagen Jetta at the VW last night for its 40K mile service today. It was purchased with a maintenance plan brand new so service items for the 40K mile service include transmission fluid and filter change, oil and filter change, new wiper blades, new air filters *I think, and from what the dealership told us, new spark plugs.

Two things I wanted them to check into in addition to the preventative maintenance were harsh shifts at times when going from reverse to drive (it's an auto), hard shifts (at times) when coming to a stop, and to top off the coolant reservoir. It has been low 3 times over the life of the car, but this time I told them to check for leaks. They have in the past, but said they didn't see any.

We got a call today saying they would need to have the car another day due to water pump failure! I am glad it was caught before the warranty ran out, but a little disappointed that it failed so soon. They said it would be a four hour job, I am not sure where the water pump is located so this may be the case.

Other than this issue, and sticky ignition cylinders it has been a rock solid car thus far. Just wanted to share with the BITOG crowd. Oh, and as for the clunky / harsh shifting they said they didn't find anything wrong. So maybe a new fluid and filter is what was needed to smooth things out.

I would be curious to find out how well it works out. How long have you had the harsh shift issue? I am having the same issue with my Passat, but it comes and goes. It's a 2014 with the Aisin trans- just did my 50k mile service which includes the trans D&F + filter... 2.5k miles later, same issue. Although it was better for about 2 days.

I have done a ton of research on this and it's common, best bets that I have found is that it's a stuck valve in the VB, but I have seen others saying that replacing the VB didn't change a thing.

There was also a TSB for the harsh shift, but that software update didn't fix mine. YMMV if you haven't done it yet. The other thing I have read is that with VAG-COM, you can do a TCM reset, but I have yet to do that. It bothers the heck out of me some times. Other times, it's not noticeable at all. All depends on the throttle in my experience.

The only other water pump I've seen fail this early is my coworkers 2013 Audi A4. It failed about 40k also. It's probably about 70k on it now and he's ready to sell it. Warranty ran out which got used a few times and it continues to chew up tires. Also he doesn't like the cost of premium fuel.

I worked at Ford and gm dealerships for a bit and can't recall a water pump failing that early on anything.

lifetime means until warranty is out!! sounds like its like my early 1.8T's 2001 to be exact + OE pumps had plastic impellers + the better aftermarket ones were metal. with the pump in the block + everything over it + if theres over 50 thou on it replacing the full timing belt kit would be smart if you intend to keep the car. i did 2 on my 01 jetta at 75 thou ea + traded at 200 thou, a great car + now own an 01 TT 225Q roadster + just did a full kit at 55 thou even thou carfax said belt was done but no info on the rest of the involved parts that can cause the same expensive disaster if ANYTHING in the assembly fails!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back