First black car. Any extra considerations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned 2 white cars and a black one, while the black one was more rewarding after a detailing, it is more of a chore to keep it clean because everything shows up on black.

I try to avoid buying black DD cars because of it, well that and I live on a stretch of gravel so its a losing battle.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Park in the shade during the day.

This makes a huge difference. At my work, I can choose between flat lots out in the weather or a three floor parking garage with the third floor open. I ALWAYS park in the garage on the first or second floor. The sun is the #1 enemy of your paint and everything inside your car. The heat it creates is enemy #2.

Do the clay bar, multiple layers of polish, then detail gloss when the car is new, then it's easy to maintain with gloss after a (hand) wash. Keep it out of the sun and heat and you will retard the aging process by years.

The black paint on by Mazdaspeed looks great after four years. I use Zaino's system. It's one heck of a lot of work initially (basically an entire weekend of elbow grease) but it really works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Black cars = second marriage!

Yep! I've owned my fair share of them. Parking in the shade helps. Along with some of the tips above: Make sure anything used to apply or remove wax is perfectly clean. Be certain you wear nothing with a belt, no buttons on your shirt, and no rings on your fingers, when you wax it.

After years and years of white cars (with light grey interiors), I now have THREE black ones (mainly by just dumb luck).

Awesome when they are perfectly clean, especially the metallics. But almost impossible to keep that way. Even closing the doors leaves marks.

The best advice I can give: get really friendly with your local detailer. Otherwise, you now have a second job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back