haze look after washing car?

My car is black after i wash it the paint has a white haze look to it after letting it air dry. It comes off with a damp microfiber towel i've been using chemical guys pink soap and i do have hard water.

I'm guessing it's the chemical guys pink soap or my water.

BTW Is it safe to use a shammy towel to dry off your car?

Thanks for the help!

For it to get a white haze you must be washing with ion exchange water ("soft water" with the salt tank). That's sodium you're seeing. Magnesium and calcium are the hard water minerals that leave water spots. Ca and Mg are exchanged for sodium, which leaves a cloudy haze. And don't confuse sodium with sodium chloride (salt).

If you want "pure" water use reverse osmosis or deionized. But both of those are hard to produce in large quantities in a homeowner environment.

Scott

For it to get a white haze you must be washing with ion exchange water ("soft water" with the salt tank). That's sodium you're seeing. Magnesium and calcium are the hard water minerals that leave water spots. Ca and Mg are exchanged for sodium, which leaves a cloudy haze. And don't confuse sodium with sodium chloride (salt).

If you want "pure" water use reverse osmosis or deionized. But both of those are hard to produce in large quantities in a homeowner environment.

Scott

I have well water unfortunately.

Ditch the shammy towel and get a waffle weave MF towel, couldn't imagine letting my car air dry especially black. :eek:

I only said the shammy since you can wring out the water. I always thought the waffle weave was more for glass.

Thanks for the link i will buy a few of them! Now i just need to figure out how to remove junk from my paint that is unknow.
Artificial clay bar with waterless car wash and good removal towels. Wash it regularly with good practices. Reapply some kind of spray ceramic wax every 6 months. Repeat the former every 2 years, but get better ceramic wax next time if there is any :p

Artificial clay bar with waterless car wash and good removal towels. Wash it regularly with good practices. Reapply some kind of spray ceramic wax every 6 months. Repeat the former every 2 years, but get better ceramic wax next time if there is any :p

It's always the flat places like the hood and roof that seem to get this strange stuff on them, it's not bug, it's not tar it's from the previous owner. It doesn't just wash off it's almost like the outline from a previous stain.

It's always the flat places like the hood and roof that seem to get this strange stuff on them, it's not bug, it's not tar it's from the previous owner. It doesn't just wash off it's almost like the outline from a previous stain.

It sounds like there is more to the story than just soap or hard water here. Some kind of previous contamination.

Someone with knowledge should take a look at it.

It sounds like there is more to the story than just soap or hard water here. Some kind of previous contamination.

Someone with knowledge should take a look at it.

It looks like the outer rings of bird poo.

I use two Detailing Popo Twisted Rain 1200GSM Drying towels when I wash my 300. I use the first to go over it quick and the second to get all the nooks and crannies and windows so its all spotless. Both of them cost less then one Griots PFM drying towel as well which work decently too...

Last edited:
Back