First ATF and Filter change in 155k BMW 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a follow up question to my previous post. I have a 2001 BMW 325i with 153000 miles on it that has never had a previous automatic fluid transmission change.

There was an Amsoil technical article saying that many mechanics recommend changing the ATF and Filter one more in the first few weeks after the first ATF change. The article said the new fluid might clean up the transmission and cause a large amount of material to be placed in circulation. This material may fill up the new ATF filter and the material will continue to flow around in the transmission and cause problems(because the filter is full). This they say is a main reason transmission have problems after a ATF change after so many miles. I wonder what any of us on the forum think.

My other question was what would taking a small sample out of the current old ATF tell me. If it were burnt would I just leave it alone or not. The car is running fine at this time. We only drive it about 4000 miles a year.

Finally I spoke with Castrol and they recommended their Transmax Full Synthetic Multivehicle ATF. Others have recommended their Castrol/Transmax Import Multivehicle ATF or the Valvoline Import Multivehcile ATF. Since I might be changing this fluid twice, any thoughts of going with these versus ZF ATF ?

Last edited:
Does your car have a ZF transmission or a GM transmission? Check the label on the oil pan before you commit to fluid type.

Verify your transmission (Gm or Zf) if it is the ZF brand go on the ZF website and look at what they spec for that trans. I had real good luck with Castrol IMV Atf in my ZF boat transmissions but it was speced on their list of acceptable ATFs as was Mobil1 Synthetic.

They will have a listing for your unit on the Zf website you just have to dig around for it.

Maxlife
smile.gif

"My other question was what would taking a small sample out of the current old ATF tell me. If it were burnt would I just leave it alone or not. The car is running fine at this time. We only drive it about 4000 miles a year".

^ With that many total miles, and the low miles it's currently driven, I would be afraid of opening 'Pandoras box' and just leave it alone since it's running fine now.

If the car has a drain plug I would do drain and fills only on that unit spaced out at least 500-1000 miles. Slow, gentle cleaning is what's best imo. Is there a dipstick you can pull to check the color of the fluid?

Originally Posted By: nthach
IMV/ML will be fine in the GM box, with the ZF box IMO stick with Lifeguard 5.

That is interesting. Why do you feel I should stick with ZF. I've had someone else say that.

Originally Posted By: KevinV
IMV/ML will be fine in the GM box, with the ZF box IMO stick with Lifeguard 5.

That is interesting. Why do you feel I should stick with ZF. I've had someone else say that.

My reasoning is that ZF trannies are a different beast than most - and that if things do go wrong, it will be expensive to get parts. I'm sure MaxLife will work fine, but it's not the end all be all. Most "universal" ATFs will come strikingly close to the friction specs of the original fluid, but MaxLife is a thinner fluid and might change the shift feel.

My reasoning is that ZF trannies are a different beast than most - and that if things do go wrong, it will be expensive to get parts.

^^^ This.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

My reasoning is that ZF trannies are a different beast than most - and that if things do go wrong, it will be expensive to get parts.

^^^ This.

And finding someone who knows how to fix one will be another hassle and be expensive.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: MCompact

^^^ This.

And finding someone who knows how to fix one will be another hassle and be expensive.

You can buy ZF parts from 2 distributors that I know of, but ZF would like for you to buy a reman tranny and not every shop is prepared to take one on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back