Firewood for this fall

I cut and split a large cherry last yr. And I had a cord of wood dumped 30' from the stove. Oil is 4$ a gallon. I have plenty of sweaters and blankets. My wife is gone, so I've got the thermostat set at 55 :cool:

I’m slacking. I probably have about a cord on hand.

I have several low hanging fruits in my parents woods though so I should be fine this winter. It’s been mild so far too.

I own a bunch of trees so I would love to extract the calories from some of them, and the work would be good exercise. But since we live in a home without a chimney and no easy way to add one I don’t ever see the installation cost being offset.

I did buy a decent used wood stove to use in our storage building in the hopes of making it a comfortable winter workshop once I retired. Maybe I’ll get around to that this winter. It’s a pole barn with metal siding so hopefully it should be as easy as poking a hole through a wall and routing a metal stovepipe outside.

I looked at buying a house in NY that had two gasification wood boilers for the house and one for an outdoor pool. I think it burned 13 cords of wood a year. I believe the owner bought tractor trailer loads of trees and would cut and split the wood. I thought it would have been great. Probably did not appreciate how much work it would be just to cut & split 13 cords of wood a year.

Now in DE with a heat pump. If I had extra $$ I would go for a geothermal heat pump.

Our two fireplaces are propane.

Geothermal gets rid of the problem of a diminishing COP ( coefficient of performance). A decision to put one in is strongly effected by the price of electricity. If the electricity is high priced the capital cost of installing geothermal might be worth it. If it’s reasonably priced the payout might get too long. Another option is to update to a more modern heat pump that can run at your absolute lowest temperature so it does not have to go into any backup system such as strip heating.

That’s bout 1/4 of brothers firewood stash Osage orange and chestnut oak will last a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_8382.jpeg
    IMG_8382.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 4
Back