Firewood for this fall

I got a cord of split fir firewood delivered yesterday. Worked out to $250 US equivalent per cord, delivered but not stacked. I normally use propane ( natural gas is unavailable) and fir firewood works out cheaper even in my 70% efficient sealed air induction wood stove. My wood gathering days in the forest are over. Who else is using some firewood this winter?

My area is about 10 years into the green ash borer death spiral. So much dead dried wood rotting away it's a shame. The ash wood takes forever to rot too.

Lots of people burn wood where I'm from.
Retirees there boast that their life's work affords them the luxury of no longer having to harvest wood.
The current generation of efficient furnaces coupled with a well built home (ahem) really opens up any discussion.

What blows my mind is that nobody here (US/Canada) charcolizes their wood like the Scandinavians do.
I've some great photos wood heaters forcing heavy, moist smoke out its pipe.
This fuel's heat content isn't spent boiling water out of the firebox and sidesteps clogging and chimney fires.

I'm a 2-cord per winter supplemental heating kinda guy. Wood stove in the center of my 1st floor. Run it when outside temps are 0-15'F, otherwise it gets too hot. Also have oil heat for the really freezing nights and a heat pump for the warmer ones.

Got a camp a couple hours further north last year, so when I drive my truck up there with furniture I use the backhaul to bring firewood to my main house. $30 in gas every time, better make use of it. (I am not bringing invasive bugs in the "invading" direction.)

We heat with wood 90% of the time, the rest with propane. Generally we go through 8 - 10 cords per season cut right off our farm here. My wife and I, 71 & 72, cut, split, and stack all wood ourselves and consider it good exercise. It helps to have good equipment, chain saws, skid steer, tractor, splitter etc. but it's still a lot of physical labor. We will keep doing it until we are no longer able.

I have an outdoor wood boiler. I used to have a load of logs delivered and would cut and split. At 75 don't feel like doing it anymore so I buy from a local guy who delivers several cords at a time. It has been 150 a cord. Yet to see if it goes up. His wood comes from his own property so that's why he's cheaper. All oak. My house was built in 07 but the builder didn't "wrap" the house so it's drafty and cold. HP doesn't really do it here.

I got a cord of split fir firewood delivered yesterday. Worked out to $250 US equivalent per cord, delivered but not stacked. I normally use propane ( natural gas is unavailable) and fir firewood works out cheaper even in my 70% efficient sealed air induction wood stove. My wood gathering days in the forest are over. Who else is using some firewood this winter?
I live in SWFL so no on the firewood( shoot, it was 96 degrees this afternoon) , but grew up in MI and I can sure remember cutting and splitting wood. My Dad would by a tractor trailer full of 8 foot length wood, and then we'd spend a couple years cutting, splitting ,piling and burning the stuff.

We are a 2-3 cords per year household, which does nearly all our heating. Was buying some but the prices here are getting a bit high and the Ash borer has arrived so we will be producing our own for a few years. Once we figured out our stove and our system, its not all that much trouble to do.

Made a lot of firewood when wood heat was all we had. Have a wood burning stove in current home but don't use it.

wood is prolly the cheapest depending on how you get it BUT can be a lot of work- exercise!! i did not feel my old chimney was suitable for wood so its coal in the colder Pa months + i have an oil furnace as well but being on the same chimney its one or the other + a small but good 220V stiebel Eltron on demand water heater when the oil furnace is off although i piped it thru the furnace so it preheats the domestic hot water. i enjoy DIY but at 75 YO its not getting easier!!

If I had to do it over again I would plant my empty lot with the native cherry trees. Fast growing, good firewood, plenty of wildlife food, spreads though the roots or seeds.

Firewood is $400/cord in my locale delivered but quite clean(tumbled)/dry. We use for woodstove that adds supplemental heat to our low set thermostat (oil) at 66F..

I live in an $$$$ area so have to pay unfortunately…

Brother currently has about 3 cords of Osage orange and chestnut oak thanks to me that’s split and seasoned. Their wood burning fireplace helps a lot. They have propane heat.

We heat solely with wood. We replaced ~1,100 gallons of LP a year in an LP furnace with ~4 cord of wood a year.

Back