Firestone Firehawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set in 275-60-17 on a GMC Sierra. I've got about 6000 miles on them. So far they've been great; quieter and smoother than the crummy OE General's. Dry handling is good (it's a truck so I can't push it too hard) and wet traction is fine. A burnout will produce a nice dark strip with a decent amount of tire smoke and plenty of tire screeching/howling.

Their QC seems to be fine. No unusual things going on with the tires. Treadwear appears to be minimal at this point.

I'd say this tire is every bit as good (if not better) than the comparable BFGoodrich Radial T/A.

Does anyone have a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s on their car/truck? I am thinking about putting a set of 205/65TR15’s on my 2000 Cavalier LS 2.4. They look like nice tires and should (I hope) last a long time if you read through the reviews at Tirerack.com.

I have a set on a S-10 Pickup truck. Put probably 15k-20k miles on them. They wear great, good dry traction and do good in the rain. The truck has never seen any snow so I can't comment on that.

A couple buddies have run these on thir trucks. One a Ranger, the other an S-10. They are great all-around tires with a bit more steering responce over the OE Generals and Uniroyals, due to a stivver sidewall.

I ran the Dayton private lable knock-off of this tire on a Jetta, sized 195/65/15. On handeling, wet & snow traction, breaking, etc...it beat the O.E Michelin MXV IV hands down! No change in fuel mileage, either.

I've got a set, I'm happy with them as they are. DO NOT expect high mileage, they are not a high mileage tire, which is what attracted me to them in the first place. Grip before longevity! =-)
I curse Cooper for ruining the Cobra GT...
I curse BFG for ruining the Radial T/A (not that it was all that hot to begin with, but it was better when it wore out quicker)...
...all in the name of making the tire "last longer".

Alex.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Firehawks from Tirerack.com today. My old Sears branded Cooper tires have 70,000 miles on them now and the tread is down to the wearbars. I haven't had a new set of tires on this car for a while so I am looking forward to these new ones. They are slightly bigger than stock so should look pretty good. I hope they will ride as good as they look because the way I drive I'll probably get 70,000 miles out of them too.

Got the Firehawks installed last weekend. The installer had to put them on twice because the first time they were installed with the outside facing in. The installer argued with me saying they are non directional so it doesn't matter which way they are installed. It is true they are non directional but there is a definite front and back to them. The fronts have the better looking molding on them, the backs are just smooth with no patterning. Anyway, they should have asked me – I thought it was pretty obvious which way they went on.

Anyway, the tires are much quieter and smoother than the old worn out ones. I hope they hold up as well as the old Coopers did – 70,000 miles.

The tires should have white letters on one side and black letters on the other. Both sides have a different styling or pattern to them so it depends on which sidewall look you prefer.

Since the tread is non-directional, the tire doesn't care which side is out and which is in. You can always have the tire shop switch sides if you decide you like the other look.

So far after 7000+ miles, I'm happy. Definitely recommended.

I've had a set of these tires on my Acura Integra GS-R for the last 29k miles... about halfway through their lifespan. They are wearing very well and offer very good all-season traction. I think you'll be happy with them.

I've noticed with them is that they seem to lose air faster than other tires I've had in the past. I'd say that I have to add a few PSI every few weeks. I can't say for sure if it's because of the tire, the rim or the fact that the tires are slightly bigger than stock size (+1).

My other complaint is that they have a bit software sidewall, so my handling isn't as crisp as when I had "H" and "V" rated tires. I'll probably go with a different set of tires next time just because of this fact.

Overall, I'd say that for the price these tires are hard to beat.

sjlee, depending on what pressure you are running, you might find bumping up a couple psi will improove that soft sidewall. I had to do this with my truck. Always ran 36psi in the front, but with the 500's I'm running 44psi.
Also take note of the sidewall, if you notice the tire is rolling over bump up the psi. Of course, it is up to you how far you push the max. inflation envelope.

Alex.

Thanks for the replies.

Willy_G - Next time I have my tires rotated, I'll have them check the valve stems for leaks. I would've thought that the tire dealer would've checked them before installing the tires, but that may not be the case.

GMGuy - I'm not sure if I want to overinflate the tires to compensate for the softer sidewalls. There are "S" rated tires afterall, so I don't expect them to be as firm as "H" or "V" rated tires.

What pressure are you running?

You can check your valve stems with some soapy water, just pour it over the stem, wiggle the stem and keep an eye out for bubbles.
Wet your finger and hold it over the end of the stem to see if the valve itself is leaking.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back