Finished My First Time Doing an Oil Change Questions

Hello, I have a 2023 Highlander and completed my first DIY oil change and I was hoping to get some advice.

I changed my oil at 15K, and Toyota is set up to have 10K intervals and I did my dealer freebie at 10k. A few days after my DIY change my oil maintenance light came on. This caused me to freak out as I thought maybe it came on because of a leak so I checked my dip stick which was fine and also my oil drain bolt. My oil drain bolt did have some oil so I am wondering if this could be a leak or residual oil. From all of the readings and youtubes I've done I did not

1. Clean the bolt as well I probably should have. I reused the old washer since I figured it was metal and could be used multiple times.

2. I tightened the drain bolt til I couldn't anymore with normal pressure, perhaps I should do more next time?

3. All the videos I watched show Toyota uses a blue fabric washer. However, my dealer who did my 10K and also sold me the new washer that I believe is copper?

4. If I use the cooper washer, which side is the top side? One side is flat, and other had a slight curve.

5. Should I be worried about the little specs of oil pictured? I was thinking of just monitoring my dip stick since it doesn't seem like im losing a lot.

The pictures attached are the new washer I was sold, the dirty towel is my initial wipe, and the last towel picture is the next day and driving 30 miles.

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

Exactly what light came on? Your maintenance required light is just a reminder that comes on every 5K to tell you it’s time for an oil change. There’s no sensor feeding it data on the oil level inside your engine. There’s a procedure to reset it that you can find in your owners manual.

If your oil pressure is low that’s the oil can light and you should stop driving immediately if it stays on.

I am not sure if Toyota has changed but the maintenance soon light usually light up every 5000 miles from the last time it was reset.
It does not recognize whether you change the oil or not unless you reset it.

Don't worry if that light ever turn on. Other than knowing that 5000 miles since last time it was reset.

Last edited:
Exactly what light came on? Your maintenance required light is just a reminder that comes on every 5K to tell you it’s time for an oil change. There’s no sensor feeding it data on the oil level inside your engine. There’s a procedure to reset it that you can find in your owners manual.

If your oil pressure is low that’s the oil can light and you should stop driving immediately if it stays on.
Toyota maintenance wrench and also while driving it said "schedule oil change soon". It's just weird to me since I didn't recall this happening at 5K, and also my Toyota app was telling me to schedule an oil change under Vehicle Health Alert.

I would recommend subscribing to the Car Care Nut Youtube channel. He's very patient in his videos and starts with the basics and goes up from there. I believe that you would benefit from focusing on very few, but very solid, channels rather than potentially random Youtubers.
Thx for the advice. I do watch him and he is who got me into this 5K interval thing and not following the manual. I do think that I got the basics down, but trying to button this process up and for the next time and figure out why it seems my Toyota dealer isn't using the oem washer.

Welcome to the rabbit hole that is bitog. 5k oil change is a good call. my car has the same engine as yours and I go max 5k as well.

I wouldnt worry about the washer. Maybe they ran out of blue ones. At least they changed it. I only change mine about every 3rd change.

For washers, while it doesn't make a huge difference, the proper use is the flat side should go up / against the pan, curved side to fastener (drain bolt). In my experience, most people don't notice there's even an difference, so good job on actually paying attention.

Welcome to the rabbit hole that is bitog. 5k oil change is a good call. my car has the same engine as yours and I go max 5k as well.

I wouldnt worry about the washer. Maybe they ran out of blue ones. At least they changed it. I only change mine about every 3rd change.
Thx. What are your thoughts on the oil I seem to be wiping up? It's just been little smidges of oil (I've wiped like 5 times checking since I am a bit paranoid).

Are you wiping it up from the bottom of the drain bolt? Like you'll wipe it then 10 minutes later there will be more?
Yes, I am wiping the drain bolt and around to figure out if there is a leak. I've done this 4 times yesterday and always got a little bit, this morning I tried and got nothing, and then this afternoon I got what is in the picture. The first was the worse.

Yes, I am wiping the drain bolt and around to figure out if there is a leak. I've done this 4 times yesterday and always got a little bit, this morning I tried and got nothing, and then this afternoon I got what is in the picture. The first was the worse.
Well if its wet around the washer too then maybe something is up. I would clean the area then run the car and carefully watch it as its running. Just use any precautions required getting under a running car.

It could be its leaking under pressure. It could be its leaking around the oil filter gasket or somewhere else. It doesnt sound likely though.

I have not seen a copper washer like that unless it was the transmission drain plug washer, but even then it wasn’t copper it was steal. I also haven’t seen fabric washers on Toyotas but then again I’m not sure about the 2023 models, but usually Toyotas use a flat steal looking washer. Which I have reused multiple times…and I’ve also used many other washers with my Toyota…plastic washers, rubber/metal washers, whatever. As long as it doesn’t leak I don’t think there is an issue, there’s nothing special about Toyota oil drain washers.

My main concern is this: "I tightened the drain bolt til I couldn't anymore with normal pressure..." There is no such thing as "normal pressure". Look up the torque specs and use a torque wrench at least once so you'll have a better idea of the appropriate pressure. The WORST thing you could do is over-tighten it (since you are worried that it's leaking), and strip it. THEN you'll have a problem on your hands. For copper washers, I re-use them many many times, but anneal them each time by holding it by a hooked wire and heating it until it glows red. Let it cool, and it's ready to go again.

My main concern is this: "I tightened the drain bolt til I couldn't anymore with normal pressure..." There is no such thing as "normal pressure". Look up the torque specs and use a torque wrench at least once so you'll have a better idea of the appropriate pressure. The WORST thing you could do is over-tighten it (since you are worried that it's leaking), and strip it. THEN you'll have a problem on your hands. For copper washers, I re-use them many many times, but anneal them each time by holding it by a hooked wire and heating it until it glows red. Let it cool, and it's ready to go again.
^this
Use a torque wrench to avoid over tightening.

Personally, I use a new washer every time just to avoid any issues. Besides, a 20-pack of knockoffs are only about $8 on amazon (this is one of the few situations where I am comfortable buying knockoff parts - there really isnt much to go wrong with a little aluminum disk that gets crushed by the drain bolt).

All the Toyota drain plug washers I've seen are exactly like the one pictured. Have yet to see a fiber washer.

Every Toyota I've had had the little blue aluminum washer. I've never seen the copper washer pictured. Just got one of the blue ones a little bit ago for our '23 Camry. I change them every other oil change. I probably have a drawer full of good used ones in my toolbox.

They may have changed this on the 2.4 turbo engines. I've yet to change the oil on my Tacoma to see.

Re: Q2
How long is your wrench? And is your hand oily? lol

If you do moderate amount of car work or oil changes, you will eventually get a feel for the right torque.
I can get it pretty close to 30 lbf-ft of torque if I use the same length wrench wearing my very dry (i.e. not slippery) blue plastic gloves but I always use a torque wrench and double check.

Buy a torque wrench or give the drain plug a little more squeeze to make sure. I always use a new blue fiber washer since the fiber can wear off but from time to time have reused copper or aluminum washers in my other cars if they looked perfect with no indentation or notch ... Best is to always use a new washer!

Toyota blue fiber washers are aluminum. I recently changed oil and the aluminum inside was a little exposed in my old washer. I think the fiber part helps in absorbing some oil. Was your reused washer the blue fiber or copper?

Surprised your dealer didn't have the blue washer!
When I was buying my filter from the dealer and this is long ago before I knew the fiber washers have aluminum inside, I asked for copper and my dealer said they only sell the blue kind. I like the blue washers now. As long as they gave you the right size washer you should be ok. I always compare the old and new washers to make sure they are within +/- of each other. With thick copper washer, I would give the drain plug a recheck squeeze ... but these tiny oil leaks usually stop. Sometimes there is left-over oil from the oil change that may collect there but will clear. I have seen it around my canister oil filters which eventually cleared.

You can reset the maintenance light. Curious, did your maintenance light came on at 5K miles after you purchased the car? If it's set to every 5K miles, you should have seen then unless the dealer tweaked the intervals at the 10K miles oil change. My tire rotation messages come on at 5K miles.

Is your skid plate off? I keep mine off for a couple days to make sure there is no leak before putting it back on. I don't have the fancy oil filter door in my skid plate and the cartridge type filter in my Tundra has 2 different washers which are easy to misplace and 2 different torque settings and more likely to leak than a drain plug if not correctly done.

Last edited:
Back