Fine tooth ratchet 3/8"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellas!

I'm looking for a ratchet that will turn a fastener with very little swing and also prefer it have a light touch. By that I mean it will back ratchet without turning the bolt.

I have all the auto parts nearby, along with Sears and a Harbor Freight, but prefer a really good one that is a pleasure to use.

Id look for the snap on ones which are the gold standard.

Ive heard great things about the HF composite ratchets, but no idea if they are fine tooth. They are also chinesium, but could be worth a shot with the 20% coupons...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id look for the snap on ones which are the gold standard.

Ive heard great things about the HF composite ratchets, but no idea if they are fine tooth. They are also chinesium, but could be worth a shot with the 20% coupons...

yes they are fine tooth

I don't know of any tool trucks to find a snap on. Is there anything on amazon that is great. My craftsman ratchet takes about a quarter turn it seems to get one click when tightening bolts.

I,ll see if ebay has any snap on, oh btw, USA made only

Thank you Mr. Lemans, is Armstrong a fine piece?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
but prefer a really good one that is a pleasure to use.

That would be Cornwell with their solid steel contoured handle. JR72.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I just picked this up at Lowes...

Sockets are 6 point, ratchet is pretty good...

www.lowes.ca/hand-tool-sets/kobalt-19-piece-metric-mechanics-tool-set-with-case_g1185215.html

I love their tools, have rebuilt engine and plenty of suspension work without anything breaking or going bad after two years of abuse, also comes with lifetime warranty as well.

We even use these tools to fix busses that my uncles owns, 56 passenger busses that is.

I recently purchase a couple of "composite" ratchets from Harbor Freight based on the good reviews they were getting online. Composite sounds like it's made out of plastic but that's not the case. The handle and inner workings are made of steel but the whole thing is overmolded with a rubbery compound which makes the ratchet very comfortable in the hand. It's particularly comfortable when using it outside in the cold. Anyway, i think I paid 9 or 10 bucks each for 3/8 and 1/4 inch versions. Definately not bragging tools but very good value for what I paid. They are honestly the ratchets I reach for the most, these days. One review I read pointed out that the Harbor Freight ratchets typically were shipped with little to no lubricant in them. When I gotthem home I opened them up and sure enough they were bone dry. Took about 5 minutes each to get them properly lubed and ready to use. Those 72 little teeth click away nicely and that's fine enough for me. Lifetime warranty, fine tooth, comfortable to hold when it's cold, $10 purchase price. How can you go wrong?
-Valentine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Valentine
I recently purchase a couple of "composite" ratchets from Harbor Freight based on the good reviews they were getting online. Composite sounds like it's made out of plastic but that's not the case. The handle and inner workings are made of steel but the whole thing is overmolded with a rubbery compound which makes the ratchet very comfortable in the hand. It's particularly comfortable when using it outside in the cold. Anyway, i think I paid 9 or 10 bucks each for 3/8 and 1/4 inch versions. Definately not bragging tools but very good value for what I paid. They are honestly the ratchets I reach for the most, these days. One review I read pointed out that the Harbor Freight ratchets typically were shipped with little to no lubricant in them. When I gotthem home I opened them up and sure enough they were bone dry. Took about 5 minutes each to get them properly lubed and ready to use. Those 72 little teeth click away nicely and that's fine enough for me. Lifetime warranty, fine tooth, comfortable to hold when it's cold, $10 purchase price. How can you go wrong?
-Valentine

You really can't go wrong. I have the 1/4" version that I bought out of morbid curiosity and I keep it in the shed for use outdoors. Sure beats the heck out of a Craftsman and I paid <$8 on sale. For a beater tool, it is great.

Thanks, I think I will get the Armstrongs in both a quarter and three-eighths.

I got a snap on catalog coming by mail, but $110+ for the FL80' I just don't think I'm ready for that, but we'll see. I don't plan on over-torquing with it, as I just need a ratchet with a delicate touch. For torque I will use my craftsman or a half inch.

Don't look at like that. Everyone has an opinion, i gave mine ,you gave yours and others gave theirs.
What is important to us might not mean a rats rear to the OP. Personally i wouldn't want the Armstrong, i wouldn't use it. It does not have the most important feature i look for and use, a quick release.

If that is not something you care about the Armstrong is an awesome high quality tool.
Screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers are other tools that really have a "feel" preference to them.
Some people that have used mine like the way they fit but don't like the wrench finish and uncommon angles of the head. I cant stand a fully polished tools, others mistakenly believe high polish is the sign of a high quality tool.

Truth is you wont know if you really like the ratchet until you use it for a while, i have a dozen or more high quality ratchets that are unloved and orphaned and only a few that my hand reaches for automatically.
Its the feel, the feedback it gives, the balance (in my case imbalance, i don't like a neutral feeling ratchet) and how it works for me that's important, much of that being on a subconscious level.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What is important to us might not mean a rats rear to the OP.

That's why I gotta quit posting in threads like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back