Finding Ford replacement parts prices are ridiculous

Looking online for some small odds and ends I need for the Explorer and many of the prices are crazy. Three examples here. Why are their parts so much more expensive?

Cup holder rubber liner $57 after shipping here or retail at local dealer. $5-10 for similar GM or even Mercedes part.
8defc33d04c613ca1fcf2b84839e43a2.jpg

Dash top storage bin $65. $15-20 at GM dealer
c74d50d2d8e2da9c288299d1a9066c49.jpg

12 inch long piece of plastic trim on the dash $120. $10-15 at GM
fae9a91074f5caf68a833d874a81dc1a.jpg

Can't help you with the actual Ford prices, but I can point you towards 'CupHolderHero', unless you just have to have the OEM part, they are a good product.

They sell sets of rubber inserts for a wide variety of vehicles. Picked up a set for my Ranger a while back and am completely happy with them.

No affiliation.

? I never buy parts like these new, junkyard or fab my own. How do you wear out a rubber cup holder liner anyway?

The great thing about your Explorer is the ocean of aftermarket parts support, AND the # of them in junkyards to pick 'n pull from.

? I never buy parts like these new, junkyard or fab my own. How do you wear out a rubber cup holder liner anyway?

The great thing about your Explorer is the ocean of aftermarket parts support, AND the # of them in junkyards to pick 'n pull from.
No pick&pull junk yards have late model Explorers and regular junk yards won't bother to pull a $5 or $10 part unless you want to pay $50 for it. Not worn out but missing liner.

No pick&pull junk yards have late model Explorers and regular junk yards won't bother to pull a $5 or $10 part unless you want to pay $50 for it. Not worn out but missing liner.
You'll just have to wait for them.
All that stuff can be missing & it'll still start & drive.

I’m wondering if buying some cheap floor mats and making the part is better for the short term. Then get the right one when the parts come down.

Some would say you shouldn't be drinking (coffee, water, tea, whatever) when you're in the car anyway.

It'll be over 5 years before this style hits the self serve yards. No it's not a beater.
It almost seems like you did not check (enough) junkyards and just assumed. Ford sold around 1.5 million of that generation 2011-2019, bound to be some junked because totaled in an accident.

Then again some areas sooner crush whole car for scrap metal, but I'd think newer donors to popular vehicles still on the road, not as much.

It almost seems like you did not check (enough) junkyards and just assumed. Ford sold around 1.5 million of that generation 2011-2019, bound to be some junked because totaled in an accident.
There are plenty in junkyards but none in the pick and pull type. And those places don't pay more than $1000 for a wrecked car while late model wrecked Explorers are worth a lot more.

Back