Finally, proof for the 5K mile oil change, or something to laugh at/BITOG fodder

...thanks to EPA standards, zinc levels being reduced or removed from oils, and the like has resulted in over 3 times the additives being added to oils now compared to in the past in order to achieve the best protection possible. Internal testing has shown that the additive package begins to break down at 5,000 miles and is seriously compromised the longer you go. ...

Given a choice, I still prefer API SN over newer classifications.

For those of you who're not going to read it:

The article on Cascade German Parts discusses the recommended oil change intervals for vehicles. Historically, a 10,000-mile interval was standard based on additives and detergents in the oil. However, recent findings indicate that due to changes in oil formulations and EPA regulations, these additives break down around 5,000 miles. Consequently, the article now advises a 5,000-mile oil change interval for modern vehicles to prevent engine sludge and failures, particularly for European car brands like VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if engine technology weighs in too. I mean, I still have a port injected engine (not sure I'd call it "late model", given how long Toyota will milk something), I suspect it'd shrug off 10k OCI's with ease.

Also, just how much break down in additives is ok? I mean, let's say the additives are diminished by 10%. Is that catastrophic or noise? If they start breaking down at 5k but continue doing its work out well past that... ?

I'm skeptical of the premise and findings of this article. If it were true that modern additive packages "break down" prematurely, we'd see significantly higher wear metals on recent UOA reports for longer intervals. I just haven't seen the evidence for that to be the case. Some cars seem to benefit from short changes due to design flaws, metalurgy, etc. but if additive packages break down after 5k miles, we'd be seeing problems on all types of cars.

Last edited:
Fast forward 20 years. We have seen shops report back that they are seeing increased oil sludge and engine failures from high oil change (10,000) intervals. The author of this piece had his Mercedes Bluetec engine seize due to oil sludge (it was running Mobil 1 at the time and had a 10,000 change interval, exactly as the manual specifies). Special thanks to Chris Sunday who has been reporting issues for years – so we delved deeper into the problem. We didn’t want to report “change this often now” without it making sense.

I quoted part of what I did read, and I do have some questions about the issue with Mobil 1 and a 10,000 mile OCI

1) How many miles were on this Engine
2) How many miles did this get driven in a year
3) Which Mobil 1 was being used
4) Was the owner of this car the Original Owner
5) Was this a short tripper
6) How often was the PCV Changed

It is kinda funny....It used to be that everyone thought that the oil industry and car makers colluded with the 3k OCI to make money. Now that they recommend 7k to 20k OCI's (especially the oil industry with the 20k change) everyone thinks it is a conspiracy the other way and they don't trust it.

Funny how the pendulum of public opinion swings 180 degrees, like a wind sock.

5k looks about right for me, but I have really think the OLM in my Jeeps would ultimately be a somewhat conservative approach, given the Pentastar is not DI. I think the max I have seen was about 8500 miles at 1% or 2% on the OLM. I won't go beyond 5k in my Vette, but again, the OLM would say different and would probably be just fine.

On the book of face today in a group I mod....there you have it folks, it's right there. 5K is best b/c "science".

Junk science, 3k OCI's are safer. Fight me.

1715717802233.jpg

Back