Finally bought a Merc

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I started considering a new car. The thread was here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4709641/1

Test drove a GL 450 and liked the vehicle. Then my search led me to my friend who is a dealer. Together we searched for a good car and found a 2015 GL 550 that Mercedes Benz of USA was selling. Started bidding on it early April but could not meet the reserve. After a month of weekly auctions, I raised my limit and they lowered their reserve.

It has 19k miles, with features that will take my some time to learn. I like how solid it is and how well it behaves on the road. It's not a sports car and handles like a midsize sport sedan if the suspension is in the sport mode. The gas mileage is horrendous.

I haven't driven it much to write a review but one thing that I didn't think about is how am I going to wash the roof or clean the windshield. I probably need to get a small ladder or something.

Must be old...Merc = Mercury.

Nice wagon.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Yeah aren't they called benzes?

In Europe, the common phrase is "Merc"

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
For me too. Gimme a red, '52 two-door hardtop.

Well, on second thought, make it a 2019 Merc-Benz with a wash mitt.

Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways

Weird, Merc = Mercury to me too, but boat motors, I'm not old enough to know Mercury at its height. And, no, I don't even have a boat.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Weird, Merc = Mercury to me too, but boat motors, . . .
I wish it stopped with Merc.

Pathfinders will always be Canadian Pontiacs, not Nissans. And Lucernes are Edsels, for cryin' out loud, not Buicks. Buick needs its head read, naming a car after the Edsel!

One of the best kept secrets in American motoring is just how cheap used German prestige makes are.
Whether you're talking Audi, BMW or Mercedes, these cars can be bought used for a faction of their new price. They seem to hold their value like used chewing gum.
There's even a member here who assembled a fleet of three S-class cars for literally pennies on the dollar from Copart auctions.
We've had two BMWs and four Mercedes that we bought cheaply used.
As I told my wife after buying our first Mercedes twenty years ago, everyone should own at least one of them at some point.
Glad you like the GL and I hope that it treats you well.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
One of the best kept secrets in American motoring is just how cheap used German prestige makes are.
Whether you're talking Audi, BMW or Mercedes, these cars can be bought used for a faction of their new price. They seem to hold their value like used chewing gum.
There's even a member here who assembled a fleet of three S-class cars for literally pennies on the dollar from Copart auctions.
We've had two BMWs and four Mercedes that we bought cheaply used.
As I told my wife after buying our first Mercedes twenty years ago, everyone should own at least one of them at some point.
Glad you like the GL and I hope that it treats you well.

The aftermarket support is pretty amazing too, you can get the repair manuals on DVD on eBay for $10, there's a vin lookup function that tells you what all the options are and there are several MB specific code readers out there that can be had for $100, granted some of them are generic and will work with many other car lines.

And don't forget that everyone likes to tell you how expensive they are to repair. Strangely they don't own one, that's just what they've heard. All car brands are pretty expensive if you take it to the dealer.

Another thing being that any Mercedes dealer can order parts for any Mercedes of any age.
This is not true for aging Japanese and American nameplate vehicles.
Parts are typically no more costly than those for more common makes in my experience and are probably cheaper than those from a Honda or Toyota dealer.
You're right in stating that any car is expensive to own if you rely upon a franchised dealer for service and repairs.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Yeah aren't they called benzes?
In Europe, the common phrase is "Merc"
Pronounced Merk not Merse? Interesting.
I have been to nearly every country in Western Europe and I have never heard one referred to as a "Merk" always a "Mercedes" or a Mercedes-Benz.
21.gif

OP - congratulations on the car. I recently joined the MB club myself and have been very happy with both so far.

In Brit-speak, Merc is the common term.
We have a few Brits here who can confirm this.
The first time I heard this, I thought that the guy meant Mercury but quickly figured out what he intended to convey.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Another thing being that any Mercedes dealer can order parts for any Mercedes of any age.
This is not true for aging Japanese and American nameplate vehicles.
Parts are typically no more costly than those for more common makes in my experience and are probably cheaper than those from a Honda or Toyota dealer.
You're right in stating that any car is expensive to own if you rely upon a franchised dealer for service and repairs.

Not only that, but if you take a MB part you ordered online and take it to the dealer, they'll probably install it for you. Most other dealers won't do that. Although I think if you tell them that you can get it for 30% off list online, maybe they'll match it or come close.

Anyway, just fixed my seat belt that wasn't extending recently. Dealer list was about $900 for the seat belt mechanism, about $600 online and $100 for a used one on eBay or mail out the original to a company that rebuilds all makes of seat belts starting at $65. After taking it apart and blowing it out, it started working again. $50 at an indy. Wonder what the dealer would have charged. They probably would have just replaced the whole seat belt mechanism.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways

Weird, Merc = Mercury to me too, but boat motors, I'm not old enough to know Mercury at its height. And, no, I don't even have a boat.

Haha me too! I thought it was going to be a thread about a Grand Marquis
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back