Filtering WD-40

So here is the situation: The clutch for my kart has metalic shoes which need to be cleaned using WD-40 which I do after each race day. Ive taken to dropping all the parts into a bucket of WD-40 and running it through the ultrasonic parts washer. This part works great. After, Im letting dirt settle for a week then decanting the clean portion off the top. This part works but isnt the greatest.

In effort to avoid accidentially spilling a half gallon of the stuff and generally improve things, I decided to try filtering it. The filter paper and funnel method I tried didnt work well. The filter paper quickly clogged and stopped draining. Not enough pressure. Recently I got a cheap fuel pump and a oil filter relocation kit. Moves the oil well enough but I discovered the dirt passes straight through a regular automotive oil filter as well as the 10 micron filter I tried. Apparently this is really fine stuff.

Ive been kinda eyeing the Franz bypass filters but it seems like a kinda expensive experiment/solution for what Im doing. Any thoughts on a *cheap*, and preferably not messy or accident prone, alternative? Ie perhaps could a house water filter be used?

Thanks!!

Ok, Im finding 2 micron mentioned in an Amazon listing for the CAT 1R-0750 but Im not finding anything more helpful than "advanced high efficiency" on the CAT site. Is that a valid claim?

For anyone else looking, looks like the WIX 24770 should work as a base. It has 1/2" NPT inlet/outlet and is cheap

Another option might be a wire mesh, although the diesel fuel filter is a good suggestion. I’m guessing you might be putting the oil filter over relief with your setup if there is still visible debris in the WD40.

Just my $0.02

So here is the situation: The clutch for my kart has metalic shoes which need to be cleaned using WD-40 which I do after each race day. Ive taken to dropping all the parts into a bucket of WD-40 and running it through the ultrasonic parts washer. This part works great. After, Im letting dirt settle for a week then decanting the clean portion off the top. This part works but isnt the greatest.

In effort to avoid accidentially spilling a half gallon of the stuff and generally improve things, I decided to try filtering it. The filter paper and funnel method I tried didnt work well. The filter paper quickly clogged and stopped draining. Not enough pressure. Recently I got a cheap fuel pump and a oil filter relocation kit. Moves the oil well enough but I discovered the dirt passes straight through a regular automotive oil filter as well as the 10 micron filter I tried. Apparently this is really fine stuff.

Ive been kinda eyeing the Franz bypass filters but it seems like a kinda expensive experiment/solution for what Im doing. Any thoughts on a *cheap*, and preferably not messy or accident prone, alternative? Ie perhaps could a house water filter be used?
We make a 2 micron grade of NanoNet media in at least one of our Fleetguard fuel filters...not sure the part number off the top of my head though. I think we make it for HHP engines so probably way overkill for your situation.

Back