filter suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I work at oreillys now and I'm needing an oil change that being said I get great discounts on oil filter in you opinion what's the best filter for a Chevy 5.3 wix Mobil 1 k&n?

The WIX that you sell or the M1
wink.gif

You guys carry Fram Ultra? No other Fram, JUST the Ultra. Excellent, excellent synthetic-media filter at a mid-grade filter price point.

Of the 3 you name- Wix for value, M1 for overall construction and performance.

IIRC, Oreillys doesn't carry the Ultra.

I just realized a while back they no longer carry the Purolator Classic either.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

They can get it for you in one day but the price is $22.99

Get the Wix and save your money.

Both the Mobil 1 and K&N are "made for" filters so you are paying a middleman the value isn't there IMO.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I just realized a while back they no longer carry the Purolator Classic either.

What about Tough Guards? I'd rather have a TG than a Wix, due to the superior efficiency.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultra or tough guard.

+1
If you are into torn media you can try the Tearolators which now come with 4 tears in every can at no extra cost.

any of the wix/napa/carquest products or Hastings! Sale at napa now and coupons,, check amazon for the hastings. 2nd place would be the fram ultra at large stores or amazon.

if you talk to long time mechanics they will tell you Baldwin./hastings or wix products!

Originally Posted By: bbowerman
Hey guys I work at oreillys now and I'm needing an oil change that being said I get great discounts on oil filter in you opinion what's the best filter for a Chevy 5.3 wix Mobil 1 k&n?

1) Welcome to the site!
2) Unless you do a good job of defining your terms, you're going to get a WIDE variety of answers
3) Without a HUGE amount of time and money, it's difficult for anyone to prove what would be "best" for any particular application

Just about any filter you guys carry will do a fine job. Don't get all hung up on what's "best" because there are many good filters, and even the "normal" ones are more than up to the task.

Much depends upon how often you O/FCI, but presuming you're the typical person, then any standard Fram, Purolator, etc will do a decent job. You can spend more, but there is no credible study that shows a direct correlation to the efficiency and actual wear in real world use. The infamous GM filter study (now a few decades old) was grossly biased and not at all applicable to real world use, and anyone who's ever actually READ the study, rather than just pass on internet rhetoric, understands that. And anyone who'd have a differing opinion is welcome to speak up, but I'll ask you bring PROOF and not conjecture based upon some beta lab test.

The reality is that once a minimum reasonable threshold is passed for efficiency, any gain responds to a very aggressive law of diminishing returns. You can spend a lot more on a super-premium filter, but you'll not notice your equipment lasting any longer or running any better in a way that can be tangibly proven. Therefore, a "normal" filter is all one needs for "normal" O/FCIs.

I encourage you to use the search feature, and also browse around this forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultra or tough guard.

I agree... for the $ Fram Ultra is a great choice..... and Tough Gaurd is very good oil filter also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back