Filter Suggestions for LS1 Camaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. After hearing some lousy things on here about K&N's oil filters I have been thinking about trying a new filter next oil change. Anyone have some suggestions? I can get Bosch and AC Delco filters locally -- Are the Delco's actually Wix filters now?

DELCO standard filters are NOT WIX, but they are okay. Don't use the premium DELCO UPF filters, they filter too good, at the expense of oil flow.

WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter) is what I use in my LS1 Corvette, can't go wrong with these.

Purolator One filters are also great filters.

A Royal Purple oil filter from Pep Boys would be the best. But you cant go wrong with Bosch they are also excellent filters.

I'd reccommend the K&N simply for the nut on the end of the can. The LS1 doesn't really have enough room to get a wrench around the filter. The Royal Purple filter is another good choice as well.

Last edited:
I have run K&N filters for over 2 decades with no problems. I don't think a few bad stories here and there on BITOG are indicative of poor filters or a drop in quality. Certainly if there has been a drop in quality( and I have not seen it ), it is no more significant than any other brand's drop in quality( very few things made these days that are as good as they were even 5 years ago ). They are still one of the best on the market from what I see.

However, if you want to change try the new Royal Purple filter if you have a PepBoys near you. I actually have swapped over from K&N to the new RP filter because it appears to be a better filter. If an RRP filter was not available to me no doubt the filter I would reach for would be K&N.

If RP is not an option for you then a Mobil 1 would be my next suggestion( very, VERY, similar to a K&N ). That would be followed by a Wix/Napa Gold( less mileage on OC however with this filter ).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Don't use the premium DELCO UPF filters, they filter too good, at the expense of oil flow.

Man i keep reading you posting that!,i have 3 cases of these filters running them on a 5.7 vortec and 3 3400's and i have no flow problems at all just the opposite,in the coldest winter days with 10w30HM oil pressure is bang on no lag/ticking at all at.

happen to have any real flow charts showing this filter?,i can't believe you have problems. they were designed to flow very well and filter very well..great filter top of the line!!

just like the P1 flow [censored] bull!!

Originally Posted By: daman

Man i keep reading you posting that!,i have 3 cases of these filters running them on a 5.7 vortec and 3 3400's and i have no flow problems at all just the opposite,in the coldest winter days with 10w30HM oil pressure is bang on no lag/ticking at all at.

happen to have any real flow charts showing this filter?,i can't believe you have problems. they were designed to flow very well and filter very well..great filter top of the line!!

just like the P1 flow [censored] bull!!

No problems here with UPF44's on my C6 'Vette.

One of the best filters ever made!!!!!

Don't use the premium DELCO UPF filters, they filter too good, at the expense of oil flow.

Got any lab evidence of that? I'm not doubting you, I just want to see how much flow is lost.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Got any lab evidence of that? I'm not doubting you, I just want to see how much flow is lost.

A lot of people on Corvette Forum have said this. I changed from a GM DELCO UPF-44 to a WIX and my cold oil pressure increased 10-15 psi. Since a Corvette's oil pressure sensor is AFTER the filter, more pressure equals more flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back