Filter Media with Steel Wire Backing

The mesh is in place to support the full synthetic media, which is not strong enough on it's own. Plastic works too (although the steel is stronger), the steel (or nylon Ecore) center tube is still there to stop the media from collapsing on screw on filters, not necessarily cartridges.
There has to be a pretty large amount of differential pressure to really need the steel mesh and would this be exceeding the bypass setting?

The media in the wire backed filters is thicker and less dense than cellulose or blended media filters. The metal screen is a very porous stiffener for the softer media. The media flows, filters and holds the filtered contaminants.

There has to be a pretty large amount of differential pressure to really need the steel mesh and would this be exceeding the bypass setting?
Filters with wire or polymer/nylon backed media don't really run with any higher dP. As others said, it's the fact that full synthetic media without extra structural support from the backing material can't take normal range dP.

I gotta ask, why is steel mesh so desired? I have seen so many C&P posts here for virtually all oil filter types and I don't recall a crushed centre tube? is this devotion to steel mesh just the usual overkill?
Its kinda the ongoing fetish among filter enthusiast around here. lol just kidding.

I believe to most here who desire the wire backing serves as an additional safety factor when considering long extended drains or not where as most cellulose base material media will start to buckle and tear in the event of many factors such as moisture absorption, dirt and debris loading in relation to differential pressure increase as the filter ages. Its a bit of overthinking but better than ricing out the **** outta of a vehicle with pointless mods.

Anyways its been explained by others why synthetic media requires it, the wire backing is more about adding function to a design that needs it than for looks in that situation. There are plenty of instances of cut opened wire backed filters that survived some real high endurance driving at extended service if you search for them.

Anyways my criticism of some wire backed synthetic filters is why the poor filter performance rating (looking at WIX, NAPA, Purolator) , it kinda defeats the point of being an oil filter. unless they're just snake oil filters targeting a market demographics. Other than I can see why they're popular amongst racing enthusiast if all that matters is flow than filtering. I shrug my sholders as I have reached the rabbit hole. Thankfully this forum exist to blow out the smoke and mirrors of the automotive filtration market.

Anyways my criticism of some wire backed synthetic filters is why the poor filter performance rating (looking at WIX, NAPA, Purolator) , it kinda defeats the point of being an oil filter. unless they're just snake oil filters targeting a market demographics. Other than I can see why they're popular amongst racing enthusiast if all that matters is flow than filtering.
Full synthetic reinforced/backed media filters are typically rated for longer OCIs, but that sometimes doesn't also mean higher efficiency as you've point out. They are really just backed with metal or polymer screen because they need it structurally, and especially if ran for longer OCIs. Those less efficient filters don't really have that much less dP vs flow, and with a PD oil pump it really doesn't matter much to the pump anyway. The oiling system will still get the same flow vs engine RPM as long as the pump doesn't hit pressure relief.

Filters like the Fram TG what's rated for 15K miles, and now the non-backed Ultra still rated for 20K don't need the backing because they are not synthetic enough, just a blend that supposedly has enough structural integrity on its own.

Sometimes I think you take replies even sarcastic ones too serious Zee... Anyways regardless, a rockcatcher filter (by BITOG standards) is still a filter, even if I still have that Purolator Boss 20195, I'd still run it even though I know it isn't the best of the crop just for the experience to cut it open.

Sometimes I think you take replies even sarcastic ones too serious Zee...
LoL, didn't really sound sarcastic so gave the technical response. Yeah, anything that catches one or two particles could be consideted a "filter" . Might want to work on your sarcasm. :D ;)

if you cannot find a OG media backed Fram XG/titanium, check and see if Endurance is made for your model car. IMO if the endurance isn’t available i would be going with a microguard select from Orileys. IF AND ONLY IF none of the above are available, i would choose a puralator boss.

Back